Running V6 style grilles on a GT

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Alright, well my plans for a long time have been to run the CS lower fascia and Saleen upper grill to get rid of the stock fog lights. Well after looking at my car I really like the stock webbed grille with the pony in it....With that said, the 2010/11 V6 grille fits this description of what I'm looking for. From what I've found I know it's not a direct swap to run the V6 grill with our front end.

Can anyone confirm that if I get the CS Grill Surround(BR3Z-8419-AA) can I run the V6 grill with this?

Also, I know it sounds dumb but what part is actually the grille surround on the CS? From looking at actual California Specials from Ford the side "horns" are painted body color and actually looks like part of the bumper. If this is the case I fould just paint it a flat black and it will look like the regular GT csurround right?

Any help with this is appreciated, thanks!

02longbed

Established Member
It will work ....Need to do a bit of work to make it right . The cs/gt grill surround needs be cut in the grille opening and enlarged for air flow and looks . Find a clip to hold grill in the shell as well.... Thats about what it takes .

This is the cs/gt Surround Adapter as you see the air flow opening is to small .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/11-2...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is the cut i made to the shell... You cant see any of this when its on the car .

grille2.jpg

This is my v6 with gt bumper cs/gt grille surround and a v6 pony package grille as well as a cdc chin spoiler.

373561579397.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Thanks for the post man!! That's what I needed to know..I'm going for the standard V6 grill like this one: 2010 Ford Mustang Car Ratings, Comparisons, Reviews and Specs

I definitely see the need for a little larger openings for airflow, but I'm a little curious what you mean "find a clip to hold it in the shell?" Like the grill doesn't clip in like a factory one?

Also, it's hard to tell but did you paint yours the color of the car or like a flat black? If black, what color paint did you use? I'm probably gonna do flat black/satin like the factory GT surround...

Last edited:

02longbed

Established Member
My grille shell is paint the color of the car . If you stop this mustang ad at 0.24 sec into it you will see the grille shell left in flat black with a v6 grille on a roush bumper .

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAX550biM7c"]YouTube - Ford Mustang 2011 V6.0 - TV Commercial[/nomedia]

As for the clips on the back , Mine did not just clip in . Holes where to large to do so . I found a clip like this to use to hold it in . You just have to get creative with this . Its worth it in the end , No one eles will have the look your going for .

dash-1.jpg

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
george1903.jpg

7 bar aluminum insert from American Muscle. You remove the grill and foglights from the OEM grill surround.

They do have the pony, if you want to add it, for an extra cost option.

BTW, the air inlet for the OEM airbox is directly behind the drivers side fog light...

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
My grille shell is paint the color of the car . If you stop this mustang ad at 0.24 sec into it you will see the grille shell left in flat black with a v6 grille on a roush bumper .

As for the clips on the back , Mine did not just clip in . Holes where to large to do so . I found a clip like this to use to hold it in . You just have to get creative with this . Its worth it in the end , No one eles will have the look your going for .
Yeah I definitely wanna go with a flat gunmetal type of color like the stock GT surround is. I just wish it already came in a black plastic color instead of primered. Hmm, I wonder why the holes were too big..Where did you find those clips at by the way? Thanks, you've been a huge help!

7 bar aluminum insert from American Muscle. You remove the grill and foglights from the OEM grill surround.

They do have the pony, if you want to add it, for an extra cost option.

BTW, the air inlet for the OEM airbox is directly behind the drivers side fog light...
Meh, not for me. If you notice, I'm going for the stock webbed type of grille instead of a billet/bar style grille. Also, don't see the grille with the pony cutout for a GT grille surround...only the v6 surround. Thanks anyway though.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It will work ....Need to do a bit of work to make it right . The cs/gt grill surround needs be cut in the grille opening and enlarged for air flow and looks . Find a clip to hold grill in the shell as well.... Thats about what it takes .

This is the cs/gt Surround Adapter as you see the air flow opening is to small .

11 2011 Mustang GT OEM Ford Grille Surround Adapter - eBay (item 170623541089 end time May-02-11 12:41:31 PDT)

This is the cut i made to the shell... You cant see any of this when its on the car .

grille2.jpg

This is my v6 with gt bumper cs/gt grille surround and a v6 pony package grille as well as a cdc chin spoiler.

373561579397.jpg

5.jpg

Car looks great. You need to make a how-to thread on that mod in the how-to forum.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Sorry I didn't..ended up selling the car recently. I have the part numbers for the V6/CS grille surround, along with the V6 grill I was going to run if you want...

starbai

Established Member
Sorry I didn't..ended up selling the car recently. I have the part numbers for the V6/CS grille surround, along with the V6 grill I was going to run if you want...

please yes, i'd really appreciate that. I've been told I cannot do this on a standard GT front bumper, that I need the GT/CS front bumper. So still researching but need to take the time to sit down and read.

starbai

Established Member

dash-1.jpg

Where did you pick up these clips boss?

Users who are viewing this thread