Rusted Rotors (2 Weeks Old - #@*&#)

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I just spent one lousy day jacking up my Cobra, so I could brush the rust off my $400.00 brake job! I put Bendix (pretty high $) rotors all around, replaced the pads, and painted the calipers red. The rotors looked beautiful when I put them on - nice and shiny. Well, after about 2 weeks, driving in light drizzle two times, and washing the car once, they turned into a rusty mess! From the inside track where the pad rubs on the rotor, to the inner edge of the hub, it was rusted to beat all hell. Took a lot of work with the wire brush, a lot of masking, and some high temp paint (compliments of Advance Auto Parts), but they now look quite a bit better.

Really pisses me off having to go thru all that crap! Brembo, or Power Slot has a coating on their rotors (so they say), that prevents rusting. I wish the hell I had bought one of them, but the cost difference was about $200.

Last problem ... just before I painted the rotors, I noticed on the can (RTDI - Read The Damn Instructions!!), that after air drying for 60 minutes, you're supposed to bake it at a high temp! WTF - I'm not taking those rotos all the way off and paying some guy to bake the paint on. I hope I don't regret that decision.

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Photo Of Rotor Right After Installation

This is what the rotor looked like at installation.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
One Last Photo Shot

Exterior view of nice rotor & caliper, before they turned into monsters!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Thanks ... they have some great looking Powder Coated calipers, in many colors, Cobra & Non-Cobra labled.

Dan

KOOY

Established Member
what do you think if paint the stock rims to black color as the same as the body color. I am having a hard time to decide it. any thought?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
While I was in the store complaining to the manager (Advance Auto Parts) he offered the paint, and I just couldn't decide on anyting but silver. I prefer to see the rotors, and black would not show up very well. I like the idea of nickle coating, cause they will look new for a long time.

If I have ANY further trouble (with the paint not staying on) with these rotors, I'm going back to the store, for a fight! I sure as hell didn't plan on doing all this repeat work. Not everyone is an engineer, and I assumed (when you ASSUME, you make an "ASS" out of "YOU AND ME) the product was good. I still have a feeling that a coating was left off at the plant! I'll demand a full refund, and they can worry about getting the paint off, or they can pay to have them nickle plated.

Dan

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Sorry, you were talking about painting the wheels, not the rotors. I've seen photos of powder coated wheels that were smoke colored, and they looked pretty cool. I don't think I'd want to "do it yourself" as far as wheels go. They are much too visible, and would show the slightest imperfection. The photos are around the forums somewhere.

Dan

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Looks good, i hope it stays pretty like that.

Let us know how it holds up the second time around. I'm thinking about doing my calipers soon.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The calipers are holding up great. I used high temp spray from Auto Zone, instead of that $40 Porsche red paint I've seen on the Web. The silver paint I put on the rotors this weekend looks pretty good. But one can only mask what he can mask. I did the best I could.

There are some photos of the calipers on my Web Site (Brake Job LINK).

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yes, I remember seeing them somewhere on the Internet. That's a hell of a good idea. If the rust ever comes back, I think I'll try to find them again.

Dan

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
I had the same problem since my rotors were not zinc plated. Here's what I did to solve my problem.

06.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I LIKE IT ... but, what did you do? Did you use the hats, or spray paint the inner area of the rotor and the hub? If you painted them, you do a hell of a good curve - mine didn't come out that well. Of course, I didn't pull them back off again - maybe I should have. Those are hot looking wheels!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread