rx7 vs 03 Cobra

02StanGT

Established Member
Well my buddy calls me aty work and says he has a race, so I'm like let's do this. Anyways I get there and Its lowered with a huge intercooler in the front. The guy just had a new motor and turbo installed on the car. The turbo is a single setup, he told me it was a t78. Anyways we are on the highway rolling at about 45 mph and we both hit it. At first I thought he had me because he jumped out about a car, but the I gained traction and reeled him in. As soon as I hit fourth I passed him pretty bad. The next time (same mph) we go again with him a fender ahead before we started and I pulled to where he was at my door/rear quarterpanel till fourth gear then I walked him again. He says the cars on low boost right now and when he gets it retuned we'll have a rematch next spring! BTW hes running 13 lbs of boost. I was suprised because we were like dead even second and third but when I hit fourth I just left him standing still. Anyways I'll post up the vid I have when I get a usb cable for my camcorder.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Sounds like he fell out of the powerband in 4th. Or maybe by the time you guys were going that fast his weight advantage wasn't doing as much for him.

02StanGT

Established Member
Well it happend two times in a row, so I don't think he was out of his powerband. Maybe like you said he lost his advantage or maybe it was his gearing? Does anyone know what high boost for this t78 rx7 will be? Anyone know how much power he will put down? At 13lbs the guy puts down 360 to the wheels and thats low boost! I'm hoping some rx7 owners will chime in.

ProjectD

Established Member
**RX7 owner chiming in**

360 seems kinda low for that setup and boost level I made 390 at 13-14 psi and he should pe putting out more than me.

Is his motor ported? If not then his setup will be a little laggier than with it ported. And a safe high boost setting on pump gas *should* put him around 450hp. With some races gas 500 won't be hard to hit with that turbo. As long as he has the supporting mods (fuel, ignition) then the tuning will be the deciding factor. I made about 420 on a HOT summer day on 91 octane with 16psi. And his turbo is a bit bigger than my T04R.

Good runs and congrats on the kill, but look out because his car *should* be a different animal when he gets it tuned and turns the boost up.

Hope this helps...

TERMN8U

Established Member
RX7's when built are absolute animals. My buddy has one and it hauls ass. He is ported and a big single turbo. Actualy I am calling him as I type this to see if he will come out and race. I will let you guys know how it goes.:thumbsup:

02StanGT

Established Member
Wow those are impressive numbers!! I guess I'll be needing my lower pulley and 100 shot so I can beat him this spring. :rolling:

ProjectD

Established Member
The giggle gas will deffinatley give you an edge. What kinda numbers are you making if you don't mind me asking?

ProjectD

Established Member
Nice Numbers! When he gets his setup dialed in with a good tune the 100 shot will be a must. Your cobra sounds pretty sick. be safe out there bro!

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
RX-7 is one of the only import cars i love. the car looks great, i'd love to do an LS1 swap. when i was stock, i got my ass handed to me by a blown LS1 RX-7. with my mods right now, i'd still lose badly. they are sharp looking cars

02StanGT

Established Member
Thanks Project D for the info. Yes I will need that 100 shot big time, these rx7's are nothing to play around with! And project how much hp will he gain with porting? I'm not to familiar with these crazy rotary engines!

ProjectD

Established Member
There are a few types of engine porting for rotaries from small "clean-up" ports, to full race ports as well as bridge porting, blah blah blah. The biggest advantage of engine porting on a rotary is to help improve air and exhaust flow wich will in turn help build boost much quicker. You may not notice much gains from a basic clean-up port but with a larged street port or bridge port, your overall powerband will improve quite a bit while sacrificing some low end power.

opticshadow123

Go Gators
Established Member
Good kill man, but either he was pullin your chain on numbers/setup or he let off in 4th. Not saying you wouldn't have beat him, but you shouldn't have smoked him like that.

Nice numbers btw!!!

02StanGT

Established Member
Well he didn't let off in fourth, the guy told me himself. I had a good pull on him the whole time but in fourth it got a lot worse. I'm not sure exactly how it worked out, but it did.

Users who are viewing this thread