Rxt installed, my thoughts

Nsssane1

Established Member
I just finished up my Rxt install and the pedal feel is great, and it is very smooth. Very pleased. :rockon:

Now after reading and not really sure what parts to get and other misleading info, here is my thoughts. I have a 2010.

I have Dynatech longtubes I was able to pull the tranny with these in.

I have a 2.9 whipple, I had to remove it due to needing to tilt the motor back, so removed it lowered the k-member and tilted the motor back and was able to take all tranny bolts out with a wrench.

The parts.

Got clutch line upgrade JHR part # JHR-8025

Got Mcleod part # MCL-6918-07 clutch with lightened flywheel for 07-09 car.

Got Ford pilot bearing # M-7600-B

Got slave cyl part # 4R3Z-7A508-AA for 07-09 car

Also kit did not come with flywheel bolts so got Arp # 254-2801, I used blue loctite torqued to 70 ft lbs.

Adapter plate that mounts to flywheel does come with Arp bolts. I used Blue Loctite torque to 45-50 ft lbs.

Pressure plate follow Mcleod instructions.

Bleeding clutch I used a harbor freight vacuum pump, got a bathtub stopper put a barb air hose fitting through it and silicone it and let dry. Put stopper in master cyl pump to 17 psi or so, pump clutch 7-10 times and let set 10 min. Pop stopper out and your clutch should be bleed, or maybe have to do this step one more time. This all worked for me.

Oh and now 500 city miles or 1200 clutch cycles to break in with traction control off. Good luck if I had to do it again I would have changed clutch when I did the headers.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
What do you mean by 1200 clutch cycles? Does your pedal feel firmer than stock? I just had an rxt installed and my pedal is definitely not lighter like everyone else states but I also did the jhr line.

Nsssane1

Established Member
Per Mcleod 1200 cycles, so engaging the clutch 1200 times, so they say 500 miles of city driving, not a 500 mile interstate trip. I thought the stock clutch was very easy, but I can tell the Mcleod is easier feels like a little 4 cyl car, so it should be easier.

Also when you lower the motor there's a coolant line that runs form the bottom of the t-stat down to next the the crank pulley, its the one you bolt to the accessory belt tensioner, so when you lower the motor that hose will get pulled on and eventually bend the fitting next to the crank pulley it is a hard line, I got mine bent back into place and no leaks, just something to watch.

Thanks TOB I follow all your write-ups. I always do all my own work to learn and also don't really trust any local shops or want to spend the extra $$.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Per Mcleod 1200 cycles, so engaging the clutch 1200 times, so they say 500 miles of city driving, not a 500 mile interstate trip. I thought the stock clutch was very easy, but I can tell the Mcleod is easier feels like a little 4 cyl car, so it should be easier.

Also when you lower the motor there's a coolant line that runs form the bottom of the t-stat down to next the the crank pulley, its the one you bolt to the accessory belt tensioner, so when you lower the motor that hose will get pulled on and eventually bend the fitting next to the crank pulley it is a hard line, I got mine bent back into place and no leaks, just something to watch.

Thanks TOB I follow all your write-ups. I always do all my own work to learn and also don't really trust any local shops or want to spend the extra $$.

I wonder if something is wrong with mine, my clutch pedal is pretty heavy.

andymarkv

Established Member
Thanks for the write up!! I have been debating whether to tackle it myself in the garage of farm it out. I bought the RXT but won't install it until spring.

I'm like you and like to keep things in house. I have seen how some shops do things....at least if I screw it up I have no one to blame but myself!
The little tips you've provided are great! If you think of anything else, post them up!

Nsssane1

Established Member
Thanks for the write up!! I have been debating whether to tackle it myself in the garage of farm it out. I bought the RXT but won't install it until spring.

I'm like you and like to keep things in house. I have seen how some shops do things....at least if I screw it up I have no one to blame but myself!
The little tips you've provided are great! If you think of anything else, post them up!

No problem.
Very complicated bleed tool pics. below. lol Cost $25

5B5E17BB-E931-46EB-9450-F528AA47F5B0_zpsjkiassc1.gif

D334FAA5-8E11-4103-8E39-0660FBC8833B_zpsprwrbsmd.gif

66DAC635-B027-4786-B7EE-E4D25EE6A9B4_zpsulugqjva.gif

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Bleed stopper

I made mine with a rubber stopper from McMaster.
Just sharpen the OD of a piece of 3/16 brake tubing six inches long and drill right through the center. Cut a new tube,push it through to about flush on the bottom.Very cheap,works great.

Users who are viewing this thread