S/C questions

ipscshooter

Established Member
I am getting ready to order a Roush Stage 2 supercharger kit from my '13 GT (AT). The car has about 11,000 miles on it. What else should I do? Are headers/exhaust necessary? Does the Roush tune for their Stage 2 kit contemplate/compensate for upgraded exhaust? Or will that require custom tuning? Upgrade oil pump? Upgrade valve springs? Daily driven vehicle. Don't really contemplate a need for hp in excess of Roush's advertised 625. :burnout:

Will also be adding new wheels/tires, as I'm pretty sure the stock 235's won't be sufficient...

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Get an aftermarket tune and an offroad pipe. Not "necessary" but will be a lot more fun. The oil pump and springs should be fine. What part of Houston are you in?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
You don't really need anything else... Until you get to the point of wanting more power!
I'd recomend getting a custome tune, the Roush tunes are conservative. Check with VMP.
A stage 1 with an 82mm or 79mm pulley & custom tune is a nice set up. The Auto trans rob more power on a dyno sheet, but I believe they're actually faster at the track. Stock oil pump gears are fine under 650rwhp. I have stock OPG's & I spin mine to 7400 all the time...
Your going to love the TVS with the auto trans!

ipscshooter

Established Member
Get an aftermarket tune and an offroad pipe. Not "necessary" but will be a lot more fun. The oil pump and springs should be fine. What part of Houston are you in?

Inside the loop. 610/290 area. My tech is in Tomball. I've been using him since 1998 to work on my 89 Fox, and my son started working for him about a year ago.

ipscshooter

Established Member
You don't really need anything else... Until you get to the point of wanting more power!
I'd recomend getting a custome tune, the Roush tunes are conservative. Check with VMP.
A stage 1 with an 82mm or 79mm pulley & custom tune is a nice set up. The Auto trans rob more power on a dyno sheet, but I believe they're actually faster at the track. Stock oil pump gears are fine under 650rwhp. I have stock OPG's & I spin mine to 7400 all the time...
Your going to love the TVS with the auto trans!

Thanks. That's an impressive time you have posted. You have a custom tuned Stage 1 Roush? Nothing else?

BrianH87

Established Member
I would suggest starting with the phase 1 roush kit. With the custom tune, it will keep you happy for quite a while. When that isn't enough, its easy to add the other items or just go to a smaller pulley. I love my phase 1 setup and don't plan on going any bigger for a long while.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Thanks. That's an impressive time you have posted. You have a custom tuned Stage 1 Roush? Nothing else?

Actually I have a stage 2 with a JLT CAI & I've been playing with an 85,82, & 79mm pulley... I'm at the extreme end of the stock fuel pump. I'm eventually going complete fuel sys & E85 & one day stronger rods & pistons... Power is addicting! Lol!

From what I've learned, the stock air box keeps a cap on max boost. At the same time if you run a smaller pulley, the boost comes on quicker and makes more low end torque... VMP explains this on their web site.

bmyles

Established Member
Simple , the jlt is a sack of shit. But to be a little more politically correct there's no where for engine movement in the tube so it keeps knocking the filter lose or it tears a hole in your hood insulation. I had the pleasure of both problems, but the roush fits like it should. Mabey vmp would give you a deal if you wanted to swap them at purchase . The vmp kit is worth it tho because of the ported blower, elbo , injectors ,intercooler and tune.

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
+1 for the Roush CAI. Same issues as bmyles with my JLT, plus it was causing a stalling situation if I clutched in at over 45mph. After a few data logs it was diagnosed as turbulence or vacuum leak. I spent quite a bit of time making sure there was no vacuum leak, and we decided it must be turbulence(air bypassing the MAF). I ordered the Roush CAI, got the revision for the 110mm MAF tube size, and the car runs PERFECT. It was to the point that my car would stall 3 out of 4 clutch-in's above 45 with the JLT. I'm pretty sure it was caused by overtightening and distortion of the tube, due to the fact that the f'ing filter kept getting pushed off, causing frustration. You can only clean it with dish soap and spray it with hairspray so many times before you are ready to take it out and do an office space fax machine stomp on it's a$$.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
The JLT debate is a love/hate topic... Some people had problems, I have zero issues & love mine. The filter comes pre oiled and is a slippery little bastard out of the package. You have to take gas to clean the oil off the base of the filter, soap & water doesn't cut it...

I'd still suggest a stage 1 (stock air box) & a 79mm pulley. That will be a torque monster on pump gas for the auto trans!

You can always get a JLT down the road...

Users who are viewing this thread