#'s seem way too low?

kratos2250

Established Member
Do my #'s seem low for my mods? Everyone else on the forum with a stg 3 is hitting in the 500rwhp and tq. Just got the car tuned monday. I have a sct sf3 handheld, anybody know how I can figure out what the timing is. BTW my alternator was loosing voltage ove 6300rpms(could this be a factor?) It was also 98% humidity outside, and raining.
Port style: Stage 3 Steggy
Pulley combo: b/f non-slip 2.76 upper, 4lb lower
Fuel: KB BAP, SD 60s
Intake:Mafia, JLT rai, Accufab SB TB
Exhaust:Mac LT's, ORX, borla stingers
Power levels: 474/491 (dynojet)

Last edited:

lgonz051

Established Member
seems low, weather could have been an issue, im from miami fl myself and i saw my IATs were 150ish 2 days ago, but 120 today.

lgonz051

Established Member
it should... especially on a dyno jet, what was ur a/f and timing at? and what plugs

kratos2250

Established Member
it should... especially on a dyno jet, what was ur a/f and timing at? and what plugs

My a/f was 11.8 across the board until 6300rpms then went lean b/c of the alternator acting up. I'm not sure what my timing was at, and I use tr6 plugs gapped at 35

kratos2250

Established Member
I just had the engine rebuilt. It only has 700 miles on it. My car was hitting about 16lbs of boost, and my timing is 20deg. Could my plugs being gapped at 35 be a part of it. Here's a datalog I done today. Could the alternator be the problem.
103_4642.gif

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Do my #'s seem low for my mods? Everyone else on the forum with a stg 3 is hitting in the 500rwhp and tq. Just got the car tuned monday. I have a sct sf3 handheld, anybody know how I can figure out what the timing is. BTW my alternator was loosing voltage ove 6300rpms(could this be a factor?) It was also 98% humidity outside, and raining.
Port style: Stage 3 Steggy
Pulley combo: b/f non-slip 2.76 upper, 4lb lower
Fuel: KB BAP, SD 60s
Intake:Mafia, JLT rai, Accufab SB TB
Exhaust:Mac LT's, ORX, borla stingers
Power levels: 474/491 (dynojet)

Your alternator wasn't acting up because it doesn't do anything at WOT. The Alt shuts off whenever you go WOT. What did your tuner say? What was the correction factor used? SAE? If so, weather really shouldn't have anything to do with the readings.

kratos2250

Established Member
Your alternator wasn't acting up because it doesn't do anything at WOT. The Alt shuts off whenever you go WOT. What did your tuner say? What was the correction factor used? SAE? If so, weather really shouldn't have anything to do with the readings.

So where do you get power from if your alternator shuts off? My tuner said it was going lean at 6300rpms b/c it was loosing voltage. pretty much the same thing my datalog says up above. He set my rev limiter to 6100rpms to avoid the lean aera. What does SAE stand for?

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
So where do you get power from if your alternator shuts off? My tuner said it was going lean at 6300rpms b/c it was loosing voltage. pretty much the same thing my datalog says up above. He set my rev limiter to 6100rpms to avoid the lean aera. What does SAE stand for?

it gets the voltage from the battery.

running lean isn't the reason for the low #'s. Maybe try doing a compression test to see.

SAE is the weather correction factor used when dyno'ing. It's to set a standard so that if you dyno when really cold or hot, the readings are corrected so that they should read the same/similar.

Last edited:

The Notch

Established Member

Dude if your gonna help somebody please try and help with some accurate information, Your alternator absolutly does not turm off at wot( confused with a/c maybe)! Voltage going from 13.5 to 11.0 will definatley cause a lean condition.

sonicmach1

Established Member
I just had the engine rebuilt. It only has 700 miles on it. My car was hitting about 16lbs of boost, and my timing is 20deg. Could my plugs being gapped at 35 be a part of it. Here's a datalog I done today. Could the alternator be the problem.
103_4642.gif

PM me and we can set up getting your datalog trace. You need more parameters in there like fpump_actvlts, injdc, too. You could go lean at that RPM if the fuel pumps demand more voltage than your vbat - voltage drop between the battery and FPDM. I cannot tell until I get your whole data file.

Do you have the upgraded BAP wiring? What level was it set at? What airmeter are you using? Did you dyno shop log airfuel then on your dyno trace?

Last edited:

kratos2250

Established Member
PM me and we can set up getting your datalog trace. You need more parameters in there like fpump_actvlts, injdc, too. You could go lean at that RPM if the fuel pumps demand more voltage than your vbat - voltage drop between the battery and FPDM. I cannot tell until I get your whole data file.

Do you have the upgraded BAP wiring? What level was it set at? What airmeter are you using? Did you dyno shop log airfuel then on your dyno trace?
I'm taking it easy right now, I need a new alternator. Then my tuner said he can get a better tune on it. I do have the bap upgrade wiring kit, the bap is set on 50 wired pre fpdm. I'm using a mafia for the mass air. My dyno did log my a/f, it was 11.8 all the way up to 6300 then it went lean due to the alternator not putting out enough power.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Dude if your gonna help somebody please try and help with some accurate information, Your alternator absolutly does not turm off at wot( confused with a/c maybe)! Voltage going from 13.5 to 11.0 will definatley cause a lean condition.

What? lol like all modern cars, from what I've read, Ford designed/programmed the pcm to simply turn off the field voltage so the alternator doesn't put out any voltage even though it is still spinning. That takes the electromagnetic load and therefore the mechanical load off the alternator to free up horsepower.

I've been trying to find the article where it talks about in connection with the 03/04 cobra.

Maybe I received misinformation from a bad source, but the concept of the alternator turning off is not alien - even the Marauder is designed to do this.

Is this your first semi-modern engine?

The Notch

Established Member
What? lol like all modern cars, from what I've read, Ford designed/programmed the pcm to simply turn off the field voltage so the alternator doesn't put out any voltage even though it is still spinning. That takes the electromagnetic load and therefore the mechanical load off the alternator to free up horsepower.

I've been trying to find the article where it talks about in connection with the 03/04 cobra.

Maybe I received misinformation from a bad source, but the concept of the alternator turning off is not alien - even the Marauder is designed to do this.

Is this your first semi-modern engine?

Where ever you got ur info, its simply just inaccurate!

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, some of the emissions turn off at WOT but i've never heard of the ALT shutting off at WOT to use the battery.
OP, +1 on your numbers being low.

Users who are viewing this thread