Saac Backs Gt500 As A True Shelby

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
This is what I've been waiting to find out. How the true Shelby enthusiats will view this car. As a true Shelby or just a doctored up SVT Cobra. SAAC has posted right on their web site that they acknowledge the car as a true Shelby.

"The 2007 Shelbys will be included in Shelby American Automobile Club, The SHELBY AMERICAN WORLD REGISTRY and all of our events."

This is friggen awesome!!! :rockon:

Now some of you may not share my excitement but this is a dream come true for me. :banana:

Not sure what this will do to the price or if it will even make it more valuable. I don't really care at this point (well I do care about the price) all I know is I'm buying one!!!! White with blue stripes, have to change out the bo bo rims for some 19 inch Halibrands.

Check out the link to the SAAC web site..............

http://www.saac.com/2007_GT500.htm

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
There goes the price. This will be a great car but I think the speculators will drive the price out of market range reality.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
03Terminator said:
This is what I've been waiting to find out. How the true Shelby enthusiats will view this car. As a true Shelby or just a doctored up SVT Cobra. SAAC has posted right on their web site that they acknowledge the car as a true Shelby.

"The 2007 Shelbys will be included in Shelby American Automobile Club, The SHELBY AMERICAN WORLD REGISTRY and all of our events."

This is friggen awesome!!! :rockon:

Now some of you may not share my excitement but this is a dream come true for me. :banana:

Not sure what this will do to the price or if it will even make it more valuable. I don't really care at this point (well I do care about the price) all I know is I'm buying one!!!! White with blue stripes, have to change out the bo bo rims for some 19 inch Halibrands.

Check out the link to the SAAC web site..............

http://www.saac.com/2007_GT500.htm

That is very interesting and backs up a comment I made on another thread. Cool! :pepper:

SVT4ME

Established Member
I too believe this is a good thing. But production numbers will also determine price. What is it going to be?

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Yeah. I've been an on again/off again SAAC member since their 2nd year after they were founded. There are alot of stuck-up people there, believe me. There are also some cool folks, too, but many are now "speculators" who know jack about the cars they own. Many of these cars are "trailer queens", and arrive to the shows on trailers so they won't get damaged/scratched/run. They start like crap, because these cars need to be driven & revved (they remind me of bikes that way). Alot of these "enthusiasts" just want bragging rights, and they sure can brag.
So, I am ambivalent about this, but I knew it would come. They will be pursuing memberships from all the new owners (they need new blood, they have about 7500 aging members). They have kept the breed alive, and do some cool stuff, too, but I'm neutral to this developement. The car will make a name for itself with or without them. ;-)

jwfisher

Banned
I agree... they are very often very elitist. I have also been an on-again and off-again member... mostly off since I see zero point in trailer queen events, "soft" open track events, and conference where the same old "glory" topics are discussed over and over for 40 years in a row. Keep in mind, too, that the Shelby Omnis and other Chrysler products are defined as "real" as well. All of this is designed to keep a club of old folks alive, it's executive board in business, and antique valuations continuing their rise.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Holy :cuss: JWF, we actually agree on something.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry, I needed a moment of silence for that.
Never trailered my Shelbys there (and they were very restored- and driven like they should be . Some people just don't get that cars are made to be driven & enjoyed. I also did 95% of my own work (something that most of those folks hire mechanics to do). Oh, well...

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
So, when I finally have one of these in my driveway and remove the $helby stuff it'll be worth less? Oh well, maybe I can recoup by selling the letters on Ebay.......

briman75

Established Member
Saac is filled with alot of good people and also alot of trailor queens. The leaders rick kopec, liska, ect suck. some dont even own shelbys anymore and they dont give a damn about the cars. They let in kit cobras that caroll openly hates and has sued the companies to saac events why wouldnt they let in the real gt 500. They also have eleanore shelbys in the registry so they better have the new gt 500. The eleanores are overpriced garbage.

jwfisher

Banned
crispy23c said:
Holy :cuss: JWF, we actually agree on something.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry, I needed a moment of silence for that.
Never trailered my Shelbys there (and they were very restored- and driven like they should be . Some people just don't get that cars are made to be driven & enjoyed. I also did 95% of my own work (something that most of those folks hire mechanics to do). Oh, well...

Nice to see... I suspect there is even more.

And I also like the comment that cars are made to be driven - and thats why I want one that can be driven - and driven hard in turns, corners, and uneven track. Which requires an IRS. And SLA would have been even better... making the suspension a lot closer to world-class.

But now that the SVT Cobra has been cancelled... will there ever again be a Mustang that is architected to be driven in such a way? Or will we have to wait until nearly to the end of this 25-year model cycle too?

jwfisher

Banned
briman75 said:
They also have eleanore shelbys in the registry so they better have the new gt 500. The eleanores are overpriced garbage.

HF, yes, those are the most unbelievable garbage I've seen yet (matched only the godawful movie - ranking right down there with Days of Thunder and some other similar stinkers).

I toured the factory a few months ago; extensive pics are on my site. Doesn't matter that the things are all braced to heck, they don't have any brakes, and they still have mostly original sheetmetal on a car that never had any kind of structural integrity anyway - even by the lowly standards of that age (and yes, I owned one). And the price for that abomination is absurd...

Last edited:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
I actually know a guy (my brother's neighbor) who sprung for an Elenor . He got the car -about 10 months later than promised. My brother was in awe, and I said to him that he could have bought an original documented Shelby for (probably) less than he paid, if he knew how to buy them. My brother just shrugged. The guy has lots of cash, and he will be storing it at his summer home in his 6-bay garage. So much for driving. :rollseyes
All I know is that if I end up buying one of these, it will be driven like it should...Shelby name or not. :)

Formula51

Established Member
jwfisher said:
HF, yes, those are the most unbelievable garbage I've seen yet (matched only the godawful movie - ranking right down there with Days of Thunder and some other similar stinkers)....

Owww, no love for Days of Thunder? Sure its Hollywood crap, but it's entertaining. Robert Duvall is great in that movie! Do you like Top Gun?

jwfisher

Banned
I don't see the Eleanor as any kind of "real" Shelby, even if the self-serving Shelby club does. Like all the later-60s Shelby Mustangs, it's a pantomime of a real performance car: which is where form follows function, and where it's all about the ability *and* agility. Not the appearance, not the posing, not the big loud noise.

Same damn issue with the GT500: sure it has straight-line ability (never mind that probably 50 horses will be wasted just to overcome the mass of it's obese and fat-ass iron block and high CG) but it also has no agility (godawful heavy, significantly increased weight in the nose, poor front suspension geometry, and no geometry of note in the rear except when going in a straight line) . It's not a real Shelby in any sense of the word other than marketing. Ol' Shel's lack of any involvement with it other than showing up for a final sign-off is the final insult to his so-called "name". It's purposely designed to appeal to the gullibility of potential buyers as well as the far more numerous hangers-on, poseurs, and wanna-bes. That's an enormous and unforgivable insult to the rest of us who want a serious well-rounded, capable and agile performance car.

Last edited:

briman75

Established Member
oh yea that makes alot of sense cuz the original shelbys wern't heavy at all. yea ok. and also this car is an svt and there known for making the cars handle alot better im sure they can handle it.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
briman75 said:
oh yea that makes alot of sense cuz the original shelbys wern't heavy at all. yea ok. and also this car is an svt and there known for making the cars handle alot better im sure they can handle it.
Wake up this aint the same old SVE/SVT anymore- yea they "CAN" handle it they "have" handled it ala Ford GT but "WILL" they handle it? Do you really believe every performance car in the world that uses an irs for "marginal" handling improvements, or for "refinement"? quoted from HT-T

Think: 8.3 liters, 500hp, hot interior, great breaks 10inch wide front tires with a 35 sidewall- Dodge Viper does that sound "REFINED"?
00R- IMO the best handling production mustang yet- refined? NO they couldn't even give it a AC/RADIO. But yea that car had an irs for refinement. :bash:

jwfisher

Banned
crispy23c said:
So, I take it you aren't going to buy one this time around....?

One what? It's not an SVT Cobra, it's a Ford Shelby GT500. I got my money back from the dealer. I'll wait a year until next January's NAIAS and see what happens. If Ford decides to build an SVT Cobra, and if it has an IRS (which is all developed and ready to go), then I may get back in the SVT business.

Users who are viewing this thread