Safe Power Level for 2014 GT500 w/stock block??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
I have a 2014 GT500 I picked up a few weeks ago. I have order a few new parts in the name of getting more horspeower from the car! I am new to the GT500 and the 5.8 motor and the amount of power it can make and what is considered safe. I have seen most are saying 750rwhp is a good number to stay at or lower with the stock block, as rod failures are common.

I have order a 2.4 pulley, metco bracket w/90mm pulley, TR6 plugs, ARH 1 7/8 headers and Off-Road mid pipe, XBA elbow/ KB 168mm TB and JLT Super Big Air CAI. All in for making some more power with the 5.8 motor on 93 octane.

What kinda power levels will this be at with these mods? Are they safe with stock block?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I would stay in the 750 rwhp zone, but a lot depends on driving habits. Are you going to be racing the car or just using it as a weekend cruiser? The motors are pretty bulletproof but they have their limits.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Are you going to daily drive the car? If so, I would stay in the low 700's range.

Manuel

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Different guys will tell you different things. Some say 800 ish rwhp, but I wouldn't constantly beat on it with that kind of power. Some say 750 rwhp, which I think is a very safe range for this car. Me personally, I'm gonna stay right around 700rwhp. That's enough for me. I personally like leaving a little extra headroom, even if it's redundant and unnecessary.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Different guys will tell you different things. Some say 800 ish rwhp, but I wouldn't constantly beat on it with that kind of power. Some say 750 rwhp, which I think is a very safe range for this car. Me personally, I'm gonna stay right around 700rwhp. That's enough for me. I personally like leaving a little extra headroom, even if it's redundant and unnecessary.

I agree, don't push it unless you are ready to rebuild.

ThomasL

Established Member
I beat the shit outta mine at just over 800rwhp for about 11-12k miles now. Pretty much a daily/town driver too. Each car and each driver are different though. Hard to give an exact number that is safe. If you are really worried, just stay around 700 and enjoy.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The more power you run the more you should limit rpm above the 6250 redline. Even stock these cars shouldn't be seeing 7k often.

Imatk

Established Member
This is asked all the time across all platforms of car. And I kind of worry every time I read it.

Can you afford to rebuild your engine if you blow it up? If not and you're worried then you might want to just leave it stock.

"Safe" is a relative term.

To be truly "safe" leave it stock. Then you are protected by a warranty. Ford engineers deemed a "safe" power output for the car in its stock form. That's what it was engineered to produce without breaking, causing recalls... basically costing Ford money.

So "safe" is stock.

When you modify you have to basically guess and go off of a pool of participants that may or may not have blown their motor up.

Like BlackDevil wrote... about beating on the car.

You can talk to people who will swear XXX HP number is "safe" because they haven't blown their motor up yet so it must be safe right?

It's possible that they just got lucky. It's possible that they drive it like a grandma. It's possible that a failure is coming and just hasn't yet.

That's the thing... once you go modded it's all a guess. Not saying it's not an educated guess from some reputable people... sometimes not.

Vendors will also tell you what's "safe" but again... it's a relative term. I you blow up your motor that vendor won't be paying for your new 30k engine... even if you go back to them and say, "BUT you said it was safe!"

Good luck man :)

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
I completely understand what you are sayin..

Why I am keeping my at 2.4 pulley (2-3lbs) of boost and just helping the motor breath better in and out for now.

Not stepping up to a overdrive pulley or more boost until I have a built motor to support it!

On side a note, will I need a BAP with the mods I have? Power by the Hour is saying I will with the things that are going on my car. Also a remote dyno tuning session.

Imatk

Established Member
I have no idea what you'll need with your setup, but if your tuner is recommending it then it's a good idea to follow their advice if you're running their tune.

Also, built motor isn't exactly roses either. They blow up too, there's a lengthy thread on here about exactly that from what people used to (and still might?) say was the "go-to" shop for building these motors.

Just saying... nothing is a guarantee when you mod... so just know that going in, and be prepared with the wallet if things go south.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I have no idea what you'll need with your setup, but if your tuner is recommending it then it's a good idea to follow their advice if you're running their tune.

Also, built motor isn't exactly roses either. They blow up too, there's a lengthy thread on here about exactly that from what people used to (and still might?) say was the "go-to" shop for building these motors.

Just saying... nothing is a guarantee when you mod... so just know that going in, and be prepared with the wallet if things go south.

This is totally true. This is why I wanted to stay stock. It's the only sure fire way that things are "safe." I decided to do the few basic bolt ons to add a little more because from what I've been reading, I still feel comfortable with the few bolt ons that I've done/will be doing. I'm not willing to do more than that. Not because I can't or I think the car can't handle it, but because that is simply all I feel comfortable with doing. Gotta do some research and make an educated decision based on your goals and expectations.

Sherrodmustang

Established Member
I agree, exactly why I started this thread. To get the input from more experienced members than myself on the 5.8 and the gt500.

I by no means want to push the envelope on the stock motor. I would rather keep it mild and relatively safe side. I dont race and is not my daily driver either, hobby for me and for fun on the weekend out cruising.

I would rather do few mild mods and save up parts for a motor build and do it on my own time when I am ready. Not the oppsoite, having the motor blow and have no choice but to fix it.

I would like to start picking up parts after this for a build, rods, pistons, bearings, cams.. etc.. part by part, until I get everything I want and feel comfortable with what I have.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Established Member
I've touched 7k rpm once at a half mile event at the top of fourth. Aside from that, i try and stay under 62-6300 on street or strip. E85 is good too.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
While I have a 5.4L, I had the same concerns for my build. When it came down to it, I decided on a mild tune as I wanted the extra cushion without having to worry about a rebuild. I settled on 650rwhp and elected not to do a lower pulley. Word is I'd be fine at 700/725 but I didn't want to risk it.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I agree, exactly why I started this thread. To get the input from more experienced members than myself on the 5.8 and the gt500.

I by no means want to push the envelope on the stock motor. I would rather keep it mild and relatively safe side. I dont race and is not my daily driver either, hobby for me and for fun on the weekend out cruising.

I would rather do few mild mods and save up parts for a motor build and do it on my own time when I am ready. Not the oppsoite, having the motor blow and have no choice but to fix it.

I would like to start picking up parts after this for a build, rods, pistons, bearings, cams.. etc.. part by part, until I get everything I want and feel comfortable with what I have.

You're kind of like me. If you can find a really good drivetrain shop you should consider switching to a 3.73 or 4.10 ring and pinion. You'll get much more seat of the pants increase and you're not increasing stresses on the motor. You'll never see 200 in Mexico or on a closed course anyway. The 13-14s are prone to gear whine so be aware of that before you swap. Find the best installer around you to have them done.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
You're kind of like me. If you can find a really good drivetrain shop you should consider switching to a 3.73 or 4.10 ring and pinion. You'll get much more seat of the pants increase and you're not increasing stresses on the motor. You'll never see 200 in Mexico or on a closed course anyway. The 13-14s are prone to gear whine so be aware of that before you swap. Find the best installer around you to have them done.

If it wasn't for the gear whine, I think I would have this done as well. Not that big of a deal because I do enjoy the stock gearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread