safe to drive with TOB noise?

v8pwr

Established Member
I have TOB noise (sounds like cricket in my trans until I press on the clutch pedal) and planning on taking my car in to dealer to have them look at.

I was wondering if its safe to drive this car. I won't take it to track or abuse it, but just drive soft so that I may be able to find more issues before take it in to dealer. Let them take care of everything at one time ;-)

I would assume its safe but just want to hear everyone's opinion.
Thanks in advance

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Eventually it wear your pilot bearing out if it is indeed the TO bearing going bad. A lot of people say it is just an annoyance, but every annoyance usually leads to more serious and expensive problems.

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Mine is chirpping and squealing more and more latley but I HATE to take my car to the dealer.
They try to blame it on me and argue with me about my mods.
When that fails they say "Ok we'll take a look at it." Then after 5 days of keeping my car they call me and say shit like "We concluded that the noise you are hearing is a result of the aftermarket shifter/pulley/inake (whatever else bs) and we cannot fix it."

Im thinking about just going out and buying a new TOB myself and having it put in. Is this a good idea, and if so what exactly do I need to fix this problem? Just the TOB, or other parts as well?

Silver03

Established Member
knowfreed0m said:
Mine is chirpping and squealing more and more latley but I HATE to take my car to the dealer.
When that fails they say "Ok we'll take a look at it." Then after 5 days of keeping my car they call me and say shit like "We concluded that the noise you are hearing is a result of the aftermarket shifter/pulley/inake (whatever else bs) and we cannot fix it."

Im thinking about just going out and buying a new TOB myself and having it put in. Is this a good idea, and if so what exactly do I need to fix this problem? Just the TOB, or other parts as well?

The TOB is not the problem. The actual problem is the TOB retainer sleeve. The dealer determined on mine that the failure occured due to poor machining of the input shaft damaged the retainer sleeve and tore up everything including the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, transmission housing...everything short of the gearbox was replaced. So if its chirping, have it fixed or it is going to cost you some bucks eventually.

Redfire03

Established Member
My car had the noise for about 2 weeks, but sense then (about 3 months) the car has not made the noise. Is that good or bad?

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

Mine has been chirping since March 05 and I have put over 50 1/4 mile passes on it since then.

I have also been having trouble shifting into 4th gear once the car heats up..actually all the gears have been harder since my last clutch and the TOB chirp started right after the last clutch install so I have a feeling a new bearing was not put in... Im hoping that will solve my 4th gear troubles.. Im getting another clutch too.

360R

Established Member
knowfreed0m said:

Arman give me a call whenever you need something like that. I got a lift we can throw it up there and have it done in an hour. We've done countless cobra clutches. Just lemme kno.

Users who are viewing this thread