safe tune

BiLL1024

Established Member
I have been looking at KB and Vortech superchargers. On the KB and Vortech web sites they say what comes with their kits.It seems the 5-6 lb superchargers you use the stock fuel pump and chip and.
So does that mean you sont need a dyno tune, because the stock control will be able to handle/adapt to the boost?
I am leaning towards the KB full boost at lower rpm, low end torque, and ease of install.
But there is a 5lb kit from vortech for 1900$ or so, but it does not list cobra, says GT or LX. Can it be made to work? I think the belt length is what is dif.
They say aprox. 345 HP at 5lb boost on the 93 cobra. Sound right with the few mods I have?
350hp is where I would like to be.
Thanks for any info or input you may be able to give.
Bill

ObieFox

Established Member
Even with the 5-6 lb kits you should go with a dyno tune in order to adjust fuel pressure etc... to find a safe AFR to meet your new found airflow. I would also think twice about putting any boost on top of your 146,000 mile short block. Boost on 146,000 mile rings will probably result in quite a bit of blow by.

Take care,
Kevin

BiLL1024

Established Member
Thanks , maybe I will take the money, get the car painted. And just get some 3.73 gears for now.
I guess the thing to do, would be to save up and get the motor rebuilt in a couple years.
maybe a stroker kit, heads and cam would be the way to go.
I want to do it right the first time and not cause problems. I have time I plan on keeping the car a long time.
Thanks.
Bill

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
ObieFox said:
Even with the 5-6 lb kits you should go with a dyno tune in order to adjust fuel pressure etc... to find a safe AFR to meet your new found airflow. I would also think twice about putting any boost on top of your 146,000 mile short block. Boost on 146,000 mile rings will probably result in quite a bit of blow by.

Take care,
Kevin

That is a possiblity but with only 5,6, 8psi I don't think he will hurt it. Depends on how the car was treated.

I, on the other hand, put 14psi on a 173k motor and killed the rings on #8 cylinder :-D

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
You can make the 6psi kits to be 100% safe. I am running an 8:1 FMU and timing at 7*. My car runs great like this and very reliable. The Paxton kit is what I am running. All you do is when you order ask for the 8:1 FMU. It is free. You can run on a Cobra no problem. BTW it was less than $1900 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread