Salt is bad. But is this going to be a concern?

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
Hello everyone, once again after trying to google the answer, I end up at my information source... svtp :)

I for an unknown reason decided to pull out my 11 gt500 in the middle of this Canadian winter and take for a blast down to pick up some Coke at the local conv. store.

I have about a half mile ride there and back, maybe even less... about 3 blocks down and 3 blocks back.

The roads are clear, the air is salty and roads have salt but very powdery. Not wet at all. dry as ever. The temperature is about -9*C

I cant go washing it obviously. and when I ran my finger across the trunk it had a VERY light haze of salt on her, barely noticeable.

If anything the tires have salt on the treads, but I have gotten over tires after owning 600 hp cars.

Is this much of a concern if I am going to store it until the spring?

It is waxed and has paint sealant on it just over a year now.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
how about undercarriage and suspension components...
u really think there should be any negative affects on this stuff if it was literally a 5 min ride and back?

dom418

Established Member
That was the most expensive Coke in history because your car is ruined....j/k

You will be fine, it's not like the roads were wet with salt, it's just dust. Wipe her down and call it a day.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I am assuming you are in the GTA. You are fine, that amount of salt is nothing. Just wash it off and use quick detail spray.

GT/CS 2013

SVT Poster
Established Member
What you have to worry about is any bar spot on the under carriage, I would detail the undercarriage.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
alright, quick detailer it is then.

and yes I am in the GTA, its interesting to know GTA as much as it seems like... IS NOT heavy with the salt.

Thanks everyone :D

quad

Established Member
I'd call the insurance company, probably totaled

Lol!

If your garage is not heated it will help because salt reactions on metal is retarded in cold weather. And if the car stays dry in the garage it will help. If the car got wet with salt on it and is sitting in a 68 degree garage I would be worried about the undercarriage a little. The body panels can easily be wiped off.

I would wait till it's warmer and get under the car if this can safely be done and wipe it down. Or you could take it to an auto shop that will allow you to get under the lift and wipe the undercarriage down as soon as the roads are cleared of salt in a few months. Bring lots of clean rags and detail spray and go to town on the undercarriage / exhaust. Of course then you'll want to polish the exhaust which is another matter!

quad

Established Member
alright, quick detailer it is then.

and yes I am in the GTA, its interesting to know GTA as much as it seems like... IS NOT heavy with the salt.

Thanks everyone :D

I would highly recommend this detailer:

Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere

10139938_mgr_g3626_pri_detl.jpg

Once you start using it you'll see it's amazing. Just use lots of clean micro fiber towels that you quarter fold and flip after a wipe or two.

MicrofiberTowel006.jpg

MicrofiberTowel004.jpg

quad

Established Member
What you have to worry about is any bar spot on the under carriage, I would detail the undercarriage.

Agreed. The undercarriage is exposed to debris on the road that will chip through painted metal. While you detail the undercarriage you can also touch up chipped areas with Rustoleum spray.

Users who are viewing this thread