Same Tire Size or Staggered ???

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Well, I finally purchased my new wheels. I went by Steeda today, and purchased the Ford Racing FR500, silver, all 4 in 18" X 9". I paid $235/each, which I think is a good price. I could have paid a little less (I have seeing them for $200/each), but I love the convenience of walking out of the store with my wheels without having to wait for the UPS guy (no worries on possible shipping damage either).

At any rate, now I have to buy tires. I have spent some time thinking about the tires and sizes.

Tires: I am 99% on buying BF G-Force T/A KDW-2. A little too wild for me as I more old school, but they are growing on me. Everything I have read about them is great, thus I am just about ready to order (Tire Rack most likely).

Size: Here is the issue . . . I know there are many permutations to consider, however I have narrowed the choices to 2 basic set-ups:

1. 275/35/18s on all 4 wheels

or

2. 245/40/18s front with 275/35/18s for the rear

Now, the guys at Steeda recommended installing the same size tires all around. They said it results in better overall performance, and of course extends tire life as I will be able to rotate. I happen to love the staggered look, however they were not big on it. I also consulted with the Tire Rack. They told me that they offer staggered set-ups (such as the one noted here), but they also feel is best to go with the same size all around.

What do you guys think? Given your experience (aside form the rotation issue) have you had any issues with staggering sizes? What about the tires - without going balistic on the price, do you think the tires I noted above are good? Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help and comments.

GA Terminator

Established Member
Just my thought, since you are running the same wheel size all the way around, the 275/35's are a good choice. You can rotate the tires on a regular basis. If you had a staggered wheel setup, 18/9 - 18/10.5, then your tire sizes could bew different.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
GA Terminator said:
Just my thought, since you are running the same wheel size all the way around, the 275/35's are a good choice. You can rotate the tires on a regular basis. If you had a staggered wheel setup, 18/9 - 18/10.5, then your tire sizes could bew different.

Agreed... You'll save some money on tires if you go with all one size. You won't notice much width difference either with a 245 -> 275.

I'd try to pick up a 10.5" for the back, but I like when the wheels come flush with the fender lip. The meat out back doesn't look too bad either.

The KDW's are great tires. I had the older style and they were one of my best tires I had bought.

skunkt-u

Established Member
just my opinion but I like the staggered look... I have the stock 03 Chromies and Black 03 anni's and I run the BFG Drag Radials 315/35/17's on the rears and stock GDY 275/40/17's on the front. (All 8 of my wheels are 17x9)

momo stallion

ta'aj
Established Member
i dont think you should put a 245 on a 9" rim.
245s fit flush on an 8". the 275s fit flush on a 9".

i would do 275 up front for sure. the back you can go anywhere from 275-315.

2814v

Established Member
Staggered, you need as much meat on your rear tires as you can get. I run 275/35/18 and 295/35/18 on 9.5" wheels. I wish there were more choices in 305's, thats what I'd like to run in the rear. Never run a smaller tire then stock.
My ZR1 came with 275/40/17 and 315/35/17. I am replacing the old worn tires with 285/40/17 and 335/35/17, you can fit a small house in the rear fender wheels of a ZR1.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Since the wheels are only 9" wide, you don't want to run much wider than a 285 on them. Whatever you choose, I would just run the same size all around since your wheels are the same. That way you can rotate them.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Since the wheels are only 9" wide, you don't want to run much wider than a 285 on them. Whatever you choose, I would just run the same size all around since your wheels are the same. That way you can rotate them.

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Guys - Thank you very much for all your comments and help. I really appreciate each and every one of you taking the time to help me out :thumbsup: .

I ended up going 275/35/18s all around. Placed my order today (Tire Rack) for 4 BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW-s. I paid $201/each, and $52 S&H. The sad part is that I will only get them towards the end of next week :cryying: as most carriers do not work for the balance of this week :cryying:

I have never had a tire with such radical treat design, however if it is good enough for Chip Fose, it is good in my book. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread