Samsung HDTV fried itself after 2 years

Evenflow

Established Member
Well I setup surround sound on my TV and when I go to turn it on the little red light just clicks on and off constantly, so it cannot form a connection to turn the TV on and just clicks clicks clicks. Comcast was out looking at our internet today and they as well said the TV is most likely dead.

I bought the TV in 2008 from Circuit City. How would I go about getting the warranty on it? I am pretty sure it is out of warranty by a few months but I want to try anyways. I don't even think Circuit City is around anymore, will I need to try straight through Samsung?

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
You're pretty much screwed on the warranty side. Samsung TVs are the best image quality wise, but their longevity is just not there. I recommend not buying another Samsung TV.

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Yea CC is no more. You only way to call up samsung direct but I bet they will do nothing for you, if they do I will be shocked. That tv sure burned out quick. My parents have a old tube tv from the early 90's in the spare bedroom that still works. Pretty sad that a tv only 2 years old already burned out.

Evenflow

Established Member
I don't know if it burned out or just lost its contact points or something?

There is a little red LED button on the front that lights up when the TV is on. When I click ALL ON the remote it just continuous lights on and off on and off and clicks clicks clicks. So I think its just not making contact on startup. Sometimes the TV turns on, but 80% of the time it wont.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I would try to look up error codes for your specific model. Either way, it'll most likely be cheaper to buy a new TV.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Call a local TV repairman who specializes in LCD/Plasmas. There is one local to me who is very good and quite reasonably priced.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Sounds like it may just need repaired then....best bet like others said contact Samsung and go from there....pending size unfortunately it may be just as cheap to replace new!

oilwell1415

Established Member
Our Samsung is 4 years old and we've had no major issues with it. About a year ago it started doing what you describe, but would sometimes turn on. After watching it a while it would just shut off for no reason. I found out it was a safety switch on one of the access panels that is meant to keep you from opening the hatch with the TV on. A quick switch adjustment and it's been good since.

Evenflow

Established Member
samsung-ln-t4061f.674935.jpg

Under the SAMSUNG logo there is a display circle. There is a LED light that blinks on and off when you turn the TV on. Well I hit ON on the remote and the TV just clicks and with each click the little light will turn on and off.

I think it may just need to be serviced. I can actually take a video of it doing it later tonight

txyaloo

Established Member
Plasma TV's have several different boards in them that can be replaced. They range in price from $50-500+. It's highly doubtful the factory warranty is still in effect. Most factory warranties are 90 days or 1 year.

If you bought an extended warranty through CC, the company that issued the warranty is still servicing those TV's.

Evenflow

Established Member
Fugg I think I messed it up by installing the HTIB. Reading some other things and these samsungs do not play nice with them.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
I had the EXACT same problem with my Samsung. I had the best buy service plan and they sent a repairman who fixed it really quick. He knew what the problem was before he even got here. I don't know the little part he replaced but it definitely was not the entire board. Take it to a TV repair shop and they should fix you up in no time.

Last edited:

Evenflow

Established Member
I had the EXACT same problem with my Samsung. I had the best buy service plan and they sent a repairman who fixed it really quick. He knew what the problem was before he even got here. I don't know the little part he replaced but it definitely was not the entire board. Take it to a TV repair shop and they should fix you up in no time.

sounds good. what was the problem?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I would call Samsung directly and explain your situation.
If this is a known problem with that model they may actually take care of you.

The older Samsung DLP's from 2005 had a problem with the light tunnels collapsing.
Samsung was repairing these units at no charge even though the warranty had expired almost 4 years ago.

It's worth a try.

P.S. This could be caused by faulty capacitors on the power supply board.
You can replace these capacitors (Radioshack 272-1032) with a soldering gun if Samsung won't take care of you.

When you take off the back of the TV set you will see a circuit board right in the middle of the TV. On the Circuit board (to the right of the middle) you will see small round capacitors (they look like little cans). On the tops of them you will see a shiny aluminum cap that has a cross hatch mark cut into it. If the capacitor is good, the cap will be flat or even slight indented. If the capacitor is bad, the cap will bulge out. The cross hatch is to allow it to push out without blowing up. You will probably see 4 of them that are bad. They should say 1000uF 10V

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Fugg I think I messed it up by installing the HTIB. Reading some other things and these samsungs do not play nice with them.

The HTIB had nothing to do with it.

The boards normally pop due to heat and poor ventilation or just crappy components.

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
five bucks says you had the tv WAY too close to the wall, i see that a lot in my family as they refuse to read the manual. It needs ventilation and some good distance from a wall or cabinet, then again, i shouldn't be judging

Users who are viewing this thread