Satellite good enough for xbox live?

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Alright guys I just moved out to the boonies and I have yet to get the internet hooked up. Theres no cable or dsl so im looking for some options.

I dont do much online except pay bills, browse the web, download music sometimes and hook up to xbox live.

I think im kinda stuck with satellite internet which should work fine for everything except the xbox live I hear? Does anyone have any experience with all this crap because its pretty new to me and I dont want to spend $100-$200 a month on a internet that blows. :shrug:

03svt86

Established Member
I have Dishnetwork down at my Florida house. So I use thier WildBlue Sat. service. It has worked fine with my xbox360. Well, except when the hurricane came through. But I think that was more because the house blew away rather than a bad connection...

Last edited:

Misfitflesh

Established Member
I have Dishnetwork down at my Florida house. So I use thier WildBlue Sat. service. It has worked fine with my xbox360. Well, except when the hurricane came through. But I think that was more because the house blew away rather than a bad connection...

Wow sorry to hear...... That blows. :-D

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
Satellite is fine for normal web browsing. Your download speeds will be fine. However, when you try to play games on Xbox Live or on the pc, you will lag badly. The reason is your ping is going to be horrible with a satellite connection. That's what online gaming is all about, low pings.

endless381

Established Member
Satellite is fine for normal web browsing. Your download speeds will be fine. However, when you try to play games on Xbox Live or on the pc, you will lag badly. The reason is your ping is going to be horrible with a satellite connection. That's what online gaming is all about, low pings.

Sorry but your wrong.

I use to have Cable but switched bout a month ago to DSL an havent had any lag problems yet.DSL works fine for your xbox360

03svt86

Established Member

All I can say is that I had no lag with my Sat connection. And that is compairing it to my Cable connection here at home. Which is very fast. :shrug:

Endless... I'm fairly sure DSL is different than Sat.....Again :shrug:

MisFit...Ya it did B L O W! but it's all good now. Insurance is a wonderful thing! :lol1:

CAMELEON

Established Member
Sorry but your wrong.

I use to have Cable but switched bout a month ago to DSL an havent had any lag problems yet.DSL works fine for your xbox360

DSL is over your phoneline. Satelite sends the feed to low earth orbit and back. There is a huge difference in gameplay.

We live out in the middle of nowhere and had satellite for about three months ( it was way better than dial up ) and then we got a call saying that we could now get DSL. We changed over the next week. The big drawback ( at least with our situation ) was the contract and upfront equipment purchase. Fortunately, we had some friends that were getting ready to get satellite and they took over our contract and we split the cost of the equipment. I would have eaten the cost of both willingly to switch over to DSL from satellite.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
^ it depends on whether he means Digital Subscriber Line or Direct Satellite Link

CAMELEON

Established Member
^ it depends on whether he means Digital Subscriber Line or Direct Satellite Link
I have never heard of satellite being referred to as DSL, but if thats what the OP is talking about then none of my comments apply as we can not get cable out where I am so I have not researched it at all.

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Yea the dsl I was talking about was through the phoneline which is not available where I live and neither is cable. I guess with the satellite the problem is the latency (sp?) So it looks like i might be doing a little lagging unless I happen to get lucky like 03svt.

So there isnt any other options out there for me?

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
Sorry but your wrong.

Hello? We're talking about satellite internet not DSL.

Not a retard said:
Briefly: 1000ms (milliseconds) equals one second. The satellite internet systems currently available run about a half second delay because of the distances involved. To an average web surfer this means about one half a second MINIMUM, between the time you click a link and the time you start to see a change take place. On a practical level it's probably closer to 3/4 of a second response time (750ms). Unfortunately, if you're heavy into internet multiplayer gaming, then we're pretty much done here. You can go elsewhere because a 750ms plus response time is unplayable. Why?

Imagine you are driving a racecar. Now imagine it's about three-quarters of a second delay (750ms) between the time you try to steer left, and the time the racecar starts to respond (750ms). You see the problem. It's like driving on ice and is simply not useable for many internet games that require fast reflexes. Some flight games may be useable, because they don't need as fast a response. However, popular first person shooters like Quake III and Tribes 2 and Counter-Strike are almost unplayable.
If, on the other hand, you're not as big into gaming and are in an area not serviced by DSL or cable then Internet via Satellite may be just the thing for you.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
Sorry but your wrong.

what the hell are you talking about? dsl runs through the phone lines, satellite internet comes from a signal that's beamed from the satellites orbiting 20 miles over your head.

Last edited:

lowdrag

Established Member
Do you get cell phone service where you're at? If I remember correctly I think someone has or is working on a router that you could plug the wireless card from your cell provider into. Just a thought.

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Do you get cell phone service where you're at? If I remember correctly I think someone has or is working on a router that you could plug the wireless card from your cell provider into. Just a thought.

Yea its not the best but it works.

Ive heard of another thing where they put an antenna on your roof and point it towards something. Its supposed to be pretty fast but 200 bucks for the cheapest one and not knowing how its gonna work with online gaming blows. :bash:

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I have sat. and it sucks. I am in AK and have heard that there are different kinds of sat internet but, the one that I have sucks. My connection is 10mb/sec and it does NOT support Xbox live. It just freezes in 1 sec.

I am switching soon. I do get cell phone signal here too.

Also, I had a dispute w/ the provider when they cut me to 5 mb/sec since I was "Using too much bandwidth." That was from being online, downloading Itunes songs(bro did that) and using Youtube a bit in one week. I hate this internet and am getting something else in June when it is up for renewwal. Good luck but, I DO NOT suggest sat. internet from my experience.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Hello? We're talking about satellite internet not DSL.

Well your quote from "not a retard" is retarded. it is only half right and leaves a LOT of stuff out.

whether or not satellite service will work depends entirely on the service and the service provider.

I have satellite service from IRAQ. I do most web stuff and I play WoW over the connection. for the MOST part it is perfectly playable. the problem is NOT the downlink it is the uplink. when it is not working the way it is supposed to it really sucks. I have died more times in the game because of lag that it has passed the point of being pitiful and launched well into the realm of funny.

When we get a hard rain satellite Internet is down just lie satellite TV is down.

you definitely need to check with the provider and see what your "contention" ratio is going to be. That is how many people are you competing for bandwidth with. anymore than 10 to 1 is too many.

the 1000ms of latency being roughly equivalent to a second of is pretty accurate but not always. WoW has a latency meter that shows what yours is and somewhere there is a disconnect. there have been times when I have had a 1400ms latency with more than a minute of lag and other times I will show a latency of 10000ms but be playing the game just fine.

Frankly I don't think stateside satellite is going to be this bad. but it is something you need to be aware of when making a choice.

Last edited:

97samssnake

Established Member
Satelite(Wild Blue here) sucks in bad weather. Its good when its nice outside, especially compared to Dial-up, but it doesn't work at all when it is raining. Just my .02

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
Well your quote from "not a retard" is retarded. it is only half right and leaves a LOT of stuff out.

whether or not satellite service will work depends entirely on the service and the service provider.

I have satellite service from IRAQ. I do most web stuff and I play WoW over the connection. for the MOST part it is perfectly playable. the problem is NOT the downlink it is the uplink. when it is not working the way it is supposed to it really sucks. I have died more times in the game because of lag that it has passed the point of being pitiful and launched well into the realm of funny.

When we get a hard rain satellite Internet is down just lie satellite TV is down.

you definitely need to check with the provider and see what your "contention" ratio is going to be. That is how many people are you competing for bandwidth with. anymore than 10 to 1 is too many.

the 1000ms of latency being roughly equivalent to a second of is pretty accurate but not always. WoW has a latency meter that shows what yours is and somewhere there is a disconnect. there have been times when I have had a 1400ms latency with more than a minute of lag and other times I will show a latency of 10000ms but be playing the game just fine.

Frankly I don't think stateside satellite is going to be this bad. but it is something you need to be aware of when making a choice.

You're talking about playing WoW. WoW doesn't necessarily require lightning quick reflexes such as games on Xbox Live like Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, etc. Most MMORPGs don't require that you have a high speed connection, either. I've been just fine using 56k while playing MMORPGs.

Try playing something else over your sat connection from Iraq and you'll see what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread