• buy a bike and save the rest of your money

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • keep saving for a cobra

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trevkm7

Established Member
So I'm kinda torn on what to do. I want to either buy a gsxr 750 and a decent car or I want to save up for a cobra and a beater. Problem is the 03/04 cobras going for 20-25k.At this price I don't even think they are worth buying when this past winter you could buy a 40k mile one for around 18k.(doesnt seem to be the case anymore) I could spend about 18k on one by this winter but I dont want one with 100k miles.What would you guys do?

fake

Established Member
I agree, Cobra & beater. Why you ask?

I have always been on the mustang scene since 1996. Back in 2005 I sold the stang and have had numerous bikes since 2005-2011. I grew up riding bikes, so I wanted to start riding again. I always for the most part wore my gear, that is until Christmas Eve 2010. I had my riding jacket, gloves, and boots on but decided to not wear my helmet that day. Went to a friends house to see him & wish his family a merry Christmas. I left his house to go back to mine and the next thing I remember is waking up in the ER. An 18 year old little girl, texting and driving, made a left hand turn right in front of me. I had less than 50ft of skid marks. I had no idea what was going on and could not open my eyes due to all the dirt and rocks under my eye lids while in the ER. Long story short, I tore my cheek, tore tissue on the inside of my bottom lip, tore my right eye lid, tore up my nose pretty good, and tore my forehead up down to the skull. God was looking out for me because aside from tissue damage & a concussion, that is all the injury I got. 6 months later, the scars are still there but hard to see. The Dr's did a good job sewing me back up.
This is my reason for getting a cobra instead of a bike. I can't put my wife and family through that ever again because of somebody else being stupid and not paying attention to their driving.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Buy a car, any car, if you need transportation. You can't take freinds out on a bike, can't drive in the rain, snow....and besides, EVERYONE I KNOW SOONER OR LATER LAYS THE BIKE DOWN!!!

trevkm7

Established Member

I have always been on the mustang scene since 1996. Back in 2005 I sold the stang and have had numerous bikes since 2005-2011. I grew up riding bikes, so I wanted to start riding again. I always for the most part wore my gear, that is until Christmas Eve 2010. I had my riding jacket, gloves, and boots on but decided to not wear my helmet that day. Went to a friends house to see him & wish his family a merry Christmas. I left his house to go back to mine and the next thing I remember is waking up in the ER. An 18 year old little girl, texting and driving, made a left hand turn right in front of me. I had less than 50ft of skid marks. I had no idea what was going on and could not open my eyes due to all the dirt and rocks under my eye lids while in the ER. Long story short, I tore my cheek, tore tissue on the inside of my bottom lip, tore my right eye lid, tore up my nose pretty good, and tore my forehead up down to the skull. God was looking out for me because aside from tissue damage & a concussion, that is all the injury I got. 6 months later, the scars are still there but hard to see. The Dr's did a good job sewing me back up.
This is my reason for getting a cobra instead of a bike. I can't put my wife and family through that ever again because of somebody else being stupid and not paying attention to their driving.

Buy a car, any car, if you need transportation. You can't take freinds out on a bike, can't drive in the rain, snow....and besides, EVERYONE I KNOW SOONER OR LATER LAYS THE BIKE DOWN!!!

That is the main reason I'm cautious about wanting a bike ahha I see too many stupid drivers veering way to far into my lane as it is now. As for the driving in the rain and snow I wouldn't drive the cobra in the rain or snow at all anyway. Either way I go I will be getting a daily driver. If I buy a bike I can get a decent DD if I buy a cobra its gonna be a pretty cheap one.The big draw to the bike is that I can buy one in a couple of weeks where if I went with the cobra I'd need to wait till winter.

beeradd

Established Member
I've had two bikes and it was very hard to control myself. The adrenaline was intoxicating at WOT on a sport bike, sold it before I killed myself or went to jail. My harley was fun as well, but after I got my cobra I was hooked and hardly rode the bike anymore...

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'd save for a Cobra and beater. Depending on just how picky you're being, you can score Terminators for like $16k-19k easy. On the other hand though, you can easily spend $25k+ on one too

trevkm7

Established Member
I'd save for a Cobra and beater. Depending on just how picky you're being, you can score Terminators for like $16k-19k easy. On the other hand though, you can easily spend $25k+ on one too

not too picky..Just not looking to spend over 19k and would like under 60k.Which was reasonable a few months ago. Just seems the market is highly overpriced at the moment.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I'm sure you can still find a fairly decent mileage cobra with less than 60k miles for under 20,000. Just have to be patient.

wjk

Established Member
There are plenty out there in the $17-20k range. You just might have to keep your eyes peeled for a month or two until you find the right one.

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
Go for the bike and do trackdays/racing. You can get a used racebike for $3k all day long. Cobras are fun, but dragging your knee on the pavement and power wheeling out of corners is a sensation a car can never give you.

carnut101

Established Member

blaa blaa... I had my riding jacket, gloves, and boots on but decided to not wear my helmet that day. blaa blaa... I can't put my wife and family through that ever again because of somebody else being stupid and not paying attention to their driving.

I'm sorry, who was the one being stupid that day? Don't condemn riding because you chose not to protect the single part of your body that could most easily sustain a lethal injury.

Go for the bike and do trackdays/racing. You can get a used racebike for $3k all day long. Cobras are fun, but dragging your knee on the pavement and power wheeling out of corners is a sensation a car can never give you.

This, to some extent. Bikes are such a cheap entry to a ridiculous amount of fun if you do it right (on a track). That said, I do miss the carefree fun of sliding around a corner on four wheels, so there will be another Z06 in my future. So, OP, I was/am in your position. I got the beater first, the bike 6 months after, and plan on getting the fun car in a year or two. Granted the time line is stretched because I spent entirely too much on my beater.

trevkm7

Established Member
I'm sorry, who was the one being stupid that day? Don't condemn riding because you chose not to protect the single part of your body that could most easily sustain a lethal injury.

This, to some extent. Bikes are such a cheap entry to a ridiculous amount of fun if you do it right (on a track). That said, I do miss the carefree fun of sliding around a corner on four wheels, so there will be another Z06 in my future. So, OP, I was/am in your position. I got the beater first, the bike 6 months after, and plan on getting the fun car in a year or two. Granted the time line is stretched because I spent entirely too much on my beater.

Thats what I'm thinking...I could have just as much fun if not more on a bike and have it now instead of being a miser for the next few months haha.But I'm still completely split on what to do I feel like the cobra is more of a head turner and would hold its value WAY more.

flS/R

Established Member
cobra and a beater. I say this because it is great having a bike but I live in SoCal where they can be ridden almost all year long.

carnut101

Established Member
cobra and a beater. I say this because it is great having a bike but I live in SoCal where they can be ridden almost all year long.

You know, I find myself enjoying night rides and cooler days more than what's considered typical perfect riding weather. It's just too damn hot on summer days, but I'm hardcore about all the gear, all the time. Sometimes I really envy the blissful ignorance of people riding around in t-shirts in 80 degree sunshine.

flS/R

Established Member
You know, I find myself enjoying night rides and cooler days more than what's considered typical perfect riding weather. It's just too damn hot on summer days, but I'm hardcore about all the gear, all the time. Sometimes I really envy the blissful ignorance of people riding around in t-shirts in 80 degree sunshine.

the gear is a must here in SoCal, there are just too many idiots to share the road with :bash: A nice ride later in the day or early in the morning is definitely the way to go. Even though it is fun to do, I don't know how the harley guys ride in the packs they do, in their gear, at the time of day they roll all the way to Vegas (or other part of NV) :shrug:

cobra and a beater could both have A/C

carnut101

Established Member
Even though it is fun to do, I don't know how the harley guys ride in the packs they do, in their gear, at the time of day they roll all the way to Vegas (or other part of NV) :shrug:

You mean a leather vest and piece of tin? :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread