Scammed on an iPhone, options? LEO Only

rust0r

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I'll try to keep this short as short as possible with providing the details. I'm always careful with these things, but apparently my excitement with a new toy overtook my sound judgment.

Basically I bought a brand new in box iPhone 4 from a guy (mid 20's) off kijiji, met up with him, phone was brand new in box, shrink wrapped still. The phone was purchased directly from Apple (I was sold the item as being Unlocked, meaning it can be put on any Cell provider/carrier), however it doesn't work with my carrier, they told me it was activated at the of purchase and is locked to Fido(subset of Rogers).

It is clear to me now after looking over the finer details and going to both my carrier and the carrier who I believe the phone was somehow activated with, that he is running a scam.

Originally he bought it from the Apple Store and waited 5+ hrs in line, then when I confronted him with the problem he said he bought it from some guy and had it mailed to him. Basically I have a $1000 phone (Canada) that doesn't work and he isn't willing to take it back or acknowledge that it is activated (I have paperwork from the store showing the purchase with his girlfriends name on it), when I went to the store, they told me that phone was on a contract and activated at the time of purchase.

Basically I believe the guy is running the scam of buying the phone for $850, selling it for $1000, and is most likely going to try to do a charge back on his Credit Card (as either stolen or false charge) as it's impossible for me to register the phone at this time.

I have his first name, license plate #, know roughly what area within a 5 minute radius he lives in, know his girlfriends name (it is on the receipt), I have found her on facebook and found pictures of them, so he can't say he doesn't know the person that purchased it, she was present at the time of our deal but stayed in her car. I have phone call logs and all of our email correspondence as well.

Basically what recourse do I have? Can I even contact the police over something like this? Does this classify as "Fraud", I was legitimately duped and the email correspondence I have shows that he lies about its purchase and lies about it being activated (as I have proof from the carrier now). He is refusing to take it back, I have advised him I will seek help from the police and he doesn't seem to care

(For those of you saying "why didn't you check it before leaving", it has to be plugged into the internet to actually activate and use it, something you can't do when meeting at a public place unfortunately)

Thanks for your time and any suggestions, I really appreciate it.

If you have nothing to offer, don't post, I created this thread for an actual response or suggestion from LEO's ONLY, go ahead and laugh, just don't clutter my thread with BS

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Five posts by non LEOs were deleted.

The title clearly says LEO Only. What was unclear about the request or is it certain people just dont care?

Additionally, you dont get to ignore the LEO Only designation by typing "not a LEO, but here is my $.02"

If you arent a LEO show some respect for the OP and dont post in the thread. If you feel your advice is on point, you can PM the OP.

Next non-LEO to post in a LEO Only will receive an SVTP sponsored vacation from this site.

OP contact your local police and discuss the matter with them. If you have proof that his intent was to defraud you, it is a crime, even in Canada. However, if his intent was to sell a phone and just misrepresented that it would work on any network, it is likely a civil matter.

aquill1

Established Member
You should be able to unlock the phone, I've never heard of an iphone being locked to any particular carrier before (once it is jailbroken.) Try seeking someone near you about figuring out how to unlock the phone. I have no idea how legal/illegal it is for the phone to be unlocked/jailbroken.

The problem you have is that the phone works. I'm curious how legal the unlocking/jailbreak of the phone is.

As far as what you have going on the issue sounds civil to me.

Contact your local police and see what they tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread