Scandinavian Brake Systems (SBS)

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Anyone using Scandinavian Brake Systems (SBS) pads?

They have 3 grades; Pro Touring; Pro Track; Pro Race

Even the touring pad is supposed to out-brake the hawk Blue's and be easier on the rotors.

I have no experience with these so I am looking for input.

If you have experience, which pad, likes and dislikes

Is anyone interested in a group purchase price. As of now I have no ideas what they cost, but will know tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I currently have SBS touring pads on my 03 and they are not cleaner then the stock pads and have a nasty squeak when they are under operating temperature. Before I broke them in they didn't squeak at all, but after the break-in they squeak a lot. Also on more then one occasion an emergency stop early in the morning with the brakes cold yielded very poor brake response which is what I would expect from track pads not street pads. Gary, Bingo13, is also having the same problem now. We most likely are overheating them, but if that is the case they are not suitable for our cars.

Bosko

Established Member
I got the touring pads and they Squeek! When ever I come to a stop they squeek makes me think im driving a POS car... Im not buying them again... If they didnt squeek then I would have no problems.

Last edited:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
5.0 Magazine did a comparison of brake pads and the SBS did very well. The best numbers on that test were for the in-between set. They outstopped (repeatedly) hawk and some other brand. I think they also said that baer is going exclusively to sbs pads for their brake sets. No personal experience, but I was thinking of them for the next autocross season.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by cito
5.0 Magazine did a comparison of brake pads and the SBS did very well. The best numbers on that test were for the in-between set. They outstopped (repeatedly) hawk and some other brand. I think they also said that baer is going exclusively to sbs pads for their brake sets. No personal experience, but I was thinking of them for the next autocross season.

I found that they stopped very well and were on the top of my list until I reinstalled them (long story).

It appears from all indications I am going back to my favorites for the past couple of years- Porterfield R4-S, best street/light track pad I have used ('03 Cobra, '99 Saleen, '99 Turbo M3, M5).

I installed a front set of CarboTech Bobcats for the winter today. Will have impressions later this week. I put some R4-S pads back on the rear, will live with the light dusting.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
I cant stand the squeaking and squeeling of my Hawks. I was thinking of going SBS but now I am having second thoughts. Are they really louder than Hawks?

***My Hawk Pads lasted about 8000 miles, is that normal???

OzLightning

Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
I found that they stopped very well and were on the top of my list until I reinstalled them (long story).

It appears from all indications I am going back to my favorites for the past couple of years- Porterfield R4-S, best street/light track pad I have used ('03 Cobra, '99 Saleen, '99 Turbo M3, M5).

I installed a front set of CarboTech Bobcats for the winter today. Will have impressions later this week. I put some R4-S pads back on the rear, will live with the light dusting.

So you're dropping your recommendation on the SBS pads. After reading your original recommendation of them I ordered a set from Tirerack.com 4 weeks ago (back ordered fronts). This was after I'd been debating what to do for a month or so. Ironically, mine only arrived today and saw a mention of this post while browsing the mod fords forum. So from I'm reading here, I'd be better off to return the SBS and try to get ahold of some Porterfields then? I'm really having a run at the moment with getting the wrong parts. Started with me going to a tuner who steered me into 50# injectors for my KB kit, now I'm getting 55#s!

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by OzLightning
So you're dropping your recommendation on the SBS pads. After reading your original recommendation of them I ordered a set from Tirerack.com 4 weeks ago (back ordered fronts). This was after I'd been debating what to do for a month or so. Ironically, mine only arrived today and saw a mention of this post while browsing the mod fords forum. So from I'm reading here, I'd be better off to return the SBS and try to get ahold of some Porterfields then? I'm really having a run at the moment with getting the wrong parts. Started with me going to a tuner who steered me into 50# injectors for my KB kit, now I'm getting 55#s!

The SBS pads worked great for me on the first install. They stopped very well, light dusting, and no noises. I took the pads off when I was going to sell the car. I put them back on when I was able to keep the car. They squeaked and I could not get them to stop. I had the same rotors and completed the bedding process twice. I do not know why this happened. I also had the stock pads squeak/squeal on me.

I think their performance is great and would not hesitate buying your set from you since I did recommend them. I have always liked the Porterfields and like most people have become very comfortable with an item that has worked in the past. I would try the SBS pads. If not , I will buy them from you (posting guarantee).

:D

Last edited:

OzLightning

Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
The SBS pads worked great for me on the first install. They stopped very well, light dusting, and no noises. I took the pads off when I was going to sell the car. I put them back on when I was able to keep the car. They squeaked and I could not get them to stop. I had the same rotors and completed the bedding process twice. I do not know why this happened. I also had the stock pads squek/squeal on me.

I think their performance is great and would not hesitate buying your set from you since I did recommend them. I have always liked the Porterfields and like most people have become very comfortable with an item that has worked in the past. I would try the SBS pads. If not , I will buy them from you (posting guarantee).

:D

Ok, from what your saying their could be some other issues if the stock pads squeal as well. I really appreciate your offer to buy my set off me, thanks. However, I've got to be a bit philosophical about buying them, I've used forums as a buying guide for long enough to know you need to weigh up what people recommend and take the punt sometimes. I figure I end up with the right parts more often than the wrong ones.

Being as pads aren't the worst part to swap around and they don't really break the bank to replace, I think I'll give the SBS pads a shot.

Cheers :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread