Scared about track day tomorrow

Rotzs99

Established Member
Hey all, going to the track tomorrow and here is the deal. This will be my first time on drag radials 275 et streets and I'm scared I'm gonna snap a halfshaft. I'm only a bolt on car and I slip the clutch at 4k rpms. No hard launches and the car has 39K on it. Should I be worried about my stock IRS?

Only other relevent info i can think of is I have 03 coupe bilsteins, stock bushings/gears/ no IRS brace.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
You're more than likely not going to snap a shaft because of power, but more so because of hop.. If the car starts wheel hoppin let out of it and you should be good!

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
I did the same thing as you around 48K with my Cobra w/ 100% stock IRS. You should be cool. I was:thumbsup:

I launched at 1.5/2K with used crappy tires and it hopped like hell. With DR you should be a lot better off. If you start hopping let off asap!!! try launching at 2 or 3K before starting at 4K btw.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I did the same thing as you around 48K with my Cobra w/ 100% stock IRS. You should be cool. I was:thumbsup:

I launched at 1.5/2K with used crappy tires and it hopped like hell. With DR you should be a lot better off. If you start hopping let off asap!!! try launching at 2 or 3K before starting at 4K btw.

Have fun and good luck!

No need to launch at 1.5 or 2k, the car will do nothing but bog down.. If anything I'd start at 4k and work your way to a higher launch. If you're all that worried about hooking and breaking something, run a little more psi in the DRs and let it spin a little bit.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Thanks guys. Basically what i thought. I've been to the track before. Probably have 25-30 passes under my belt with street tires. Saw a 13.50 once last year and am hoping to get back there with the tires. I saw my best times by slipping at 3.5-4k rpms, Still didn't break 2.0 60ft. Subframes and shocks have been added since then and I'm hoping the DRs lessen the hop. Still hops on the street with street tires.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just watch the wheel hop and you'll be fine. The last time I went to the track I had the same set up as you. But I was running Nitto DR's aired down to 18psi. I left at 4K and feathered the clutch. I didn't break anything and managed to get into the 13's.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
don't be mad if you pop one

stay out of wheel hop and you will be fine

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I snapped my stock halfshaft on Nitto 555R's. I was launching at 3300 RPMs. I let the PSI down to 15 and tried to launch a bit higher and got some hop and then "SNAP". The key is don't over launch the car and seriously gte out of it at the first sign of hop. I only broke because of the hop.

Rotzs99

Established Member
3300 rpm? Dang. Well if it pops i can upgrade to the 03 unit. I just don't want it to ride home on a trailer.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
If you are a 99 Cobra, there is much more to upgrade than the halfshaft to go to an 03 setup -- ie 28 spline vs 31 spline.

Like Perry stated above, keep your psi up and slip the clutch like you were saying. You can launch at 6500 as long as you don't dump the clutch. I'd suggest launching at 4000 and steadily working your rear PSI down from 30 to 18, in 2lb increments. If you encounter wheel hop, then either slip the clutch more or go back up on air pressure.

Either way, it can happen. I have broken two halfshafts on my stock 01 and both of them happened on the street, nowhere near a track. It is an easy 45 minute fix after you do the swap a couple of times.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
before i put my SRA in... i never worried about the half shafts really... your more likely to break the diff cover then a half shaft if your on DR's and they hook. i strongly advise everyone to get a billetflow brace if your doing any kind of agressive driving.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Meh. Just remember to drive it like a rental and you'll go fast*

* Disclaimer: I'm on halfshaft #3 and tranny #4. lol.

Rotzs99

Established Member
You guys are crazy with all the stuff youre breaking. I can afford to break, if i do, it sits until spring.

brkntrxn- If i did break i would not just swap the halfshafts, id just get the complete 03 IRS. 600-700 bucks would get me stronger shafts/diff and slightly higher gears.

Anyway, you came here for RESULTS!!!!

Out of six passes (in my car)

my best were.

13.63 @102 and 13.68@100

60fts were all above 2.0, but If i wanted to dump the clutch i know that would drop a whole lot.

I was really pleased with the outing. My shifts were really getting a lot quicker, and I didn't miss any gears. I thought me/the car did well for being a heavy pig (me too, 240lbs) with only having an x-pipe, catback, and JLT. Came close to my 13.55 I had last year when the pulleys were still on the car. At least I beat my buddy with his full bolt on/4.10 GT. Also held my own with a s197 GT with the FRPP supercharger kit, and a few LS1s.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Good runs. For comparison for you, my best in our 01 vert is a 13.46 and that is the one and only run I ever got a sub-2.0 60' out of that car.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
You guys are crazy with all the stuff youre breaking. I can afford to break, if i do, it sits until spring.

if you ain't breakin you ain't racing !

i have a complete spare halfshaft that i take with me to the track

i havn't broke one yet though...lord knows i have tried lol

Users who are viewing this thread