Scary Moment this morning

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
So im driving to work this morning about 7am on the mass pike, and right as i get to the toll i go to downshift and .......... NOTHING. My shifter was completely loose no gears nothing. Im Like WTF? luckily there was a small break in cars and i quickly vear over to the side and stop, put on my flashers and try to figure it out. Ive noticed lately my shifter wasnt as tight in the gears anymore and was going to look at it today after work. Well turns out i had to look at it before work, right there in the middle of the friggin highway with cars crisscrossing trying to get into different toll booths, people honking.(Boston drivers suck BTW) I quickly rip off the console where the shifter is and to my surprise i see the bottom bolt of my Pro 5.0 shifter sitting on top of my tranny and the top bolt very loose. Damn this sucks. So i put them back in as tight as possible by hand and clip the console on and baby the car the next 5 miles to work. I seriously thought my tranny was messed up and would have to get towed in rush hour on the busiest road in Boston lol. Anyways after work got slow i pulled my car into the shop, replaced the 2 alan bolts with 2 longer 12mm bolts that went all the way through the shifter and added a locking nut on the other side for safe measure. Tight as a Drum now. thought i would share my scare of the day. Now back to banging gears!! :beer:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Haha I had that happen to me at a traffic light. Light turned green and it wouldn't shift. I used Locktite on the bolts and they never backed out again.

My94GT

Established Member
i had that happen to me at the track while powershifting into third, when your car hits the fule cut off the it gets fule agin real quick the nice pop it makes sounds awsome with dumps.

i thought i had blew my motor or something haha then i figured it out real quick

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
Could of been alot worse.

Ya im glad it was just the bolts. Big Sigh when i saw that. Shocked at first like WTF is goin on. Wonder what it must of been like for someone who isnt mechanically inclined at all. Porb freak out like crazy lol

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Ya im glad it was just the bolts. Big Sigh when i saw that. Shocked at first like WTF is goin on. Wonder what it must of been like for someone who isnt mechanically inclined at all. Porb freak out like crazy lol

they probably wouldnt have a aftermarket shifter in their car...

but my pro 5.0 did that once, teflon tape worked for me. but i have seen it happen on hirst shifters too. my steeda came with nuts to put on the handle bolts to lock it all together.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
pretty sure i'd have been cleanin the fecal material out of my pants after that scare :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread