SCCA ITS Class Build, Which car to go with?

THE_STIG

Established Member
Like the title says, I want to get into SCCA Club Racing, I looked at the classes and read the rules and guidelines for each class. I attended a few events, so i've done my homework and I think the ITS class would be fun to run in since my local chapter has a good field.

My question is, what would be a good car to build off of? I have been looking at RX7s and 944s. I am wondering if anyone has some info on the IT field and knows about which cars are generally strong runners, which have high repair costs, etc. I know most of this depends on the driver and individual car, but sometimes there are trends.

Any info would really be appreciated.

BTW, my budget is not "sky is the limit" It will be a few grand.

David Hester

Established Member
No, that won't work. ITS is a regional class.
DOES run at the ARRC (American Road Race of Champions), though.
Both cars are good. RX7 might be cheaper to run, though.
http://www.atlantascca.org/documents/results/2009/091108/GRP3_Race.pdf

BTW change at ARRC for 2010. They will allow National driver's (those that attended RunOffs earlier) to run with Regional guys, just not in the same class as they ran at RunOffs.
For instance GT3 at RunOffs, SPU at ARRC. A/Sedan at RunOffs, ITO or SPO at ARRC.
Not sure how big a difference it will make, since many regional classes don't have National classes, but they are looking for 30-40 car fields.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If youre on a budget (most of us are) then forget the SCCA runoffs or ARRC, get an already prepped track ready car and get out on track. SCCA in general has no national class that a fuel injected mustang running on 17-18" wheels and tires will be competitive in. Hence the reason NASA American Iron has grown by leaps and bounds in the last ten years.

I have an ITE mustang, which Im building to run in the MiDiv IT series, Im fortunate that the local SCCA chapter has grown this series and made it into a competitive event with a lot of races. ITE cars are still few with usually 3-4 showing up on a good weekend. The slower classes will have more cars at a race weekend.

At HPT several years ago at Heartland Park the Spec Miata field had to be separated from the IT field because 42 SM cars showed up for that race!!!! Now that was quality entertainment watching 42 of those cars battle it out.

David Hester

Established Member
I'm partial to SPU
Pro Challenge Ford Mustang Race Car
;-)
I agree, buying a already prepared car is the best way to go.
I built a couple of Fox bodies that I ran in SPO (efi is legal as it is in ITE or ITO). Did well till people started showing up with old Cup cars in the class.
Finally bought a national car and had more fun. It was used, but was cheaper than building.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread