School me on battery tenders

olympic

Established Member
I think the issue is the sparks generated when connecting/disconnecting alligator clamps at the battery terminals. If you connect the + terminal at the battery and then connect the - terminal at a body ground point, any sparks generated will be at the ground point, away from the battery and possible hydrogen gas.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, I just hooked my shelby up to a battery tender. I went with screw to terminals instead of alligator clips. The light indicates charging so it looks like all is well.

That said I have it attached to an extension cord and having it plugged in all the time makes me nervous. I am paranoid of fire risk.

Should I unplug when fully charged? Is extension cord a risk? Anything else i should know?

Thanks
They can be filling, and pretty tasty. But still not as good as Chicken tenders, I don't care how long you fry them.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I understand the issue of hydrogen gas but do not understand how not connecting tender to battery ground solves for this. If this was the issue why have a battery terminal at all?

Am I missing something?

I think the issue is the sparks generated when connecting/disconnecting alligator clamps at the battery terminals. If you connect the + terminal at the battery and then connect the - terminal at a body ground point, any sparks generated will be at the ground point, away from the battery and possible hydrogen gas.

Klaus, not missing a thing. What Olympic says covers it.
Not sure relocating battery terminals to the side on some batteries is a safety improvement and/or necessity for battery type.

Long time ago, a bud got an acid bath when he attached a jumper cable to a dead battery.

Users who are viewing this thread