School me on pig roasts

tdschst

Established Member
So I'm planning on having my first pig roast in about a month. I have a rental place that will rent me a grill with a rotisserie for either a 110 lb pig or 150 lb, I guess it doesn't have a lid. I could get a big grill with a lid and rotisserie but I wouldn't be able to get it into my yard. My dad told me of a meat packer that will sell me the pig for $1.39/lb, already gutted, they said a bigger one will be cheaper and smaller more expensive /lb. I will have keg in the kegerator so that is covered there. Planning on rougher 20-30 people.

I've seen a few people on here that have roasted pigs and was just looking for a bit of a walk thru. The meat packer said I can get the pig that morning or before and that there's no need to reserve, although I'll mostlikely call a few days before to be sure. Also I heard there's a pretty bad smell and a lot of flies?

How big of a pig?
How do I prep/what do I use?
How long to cook it?
What do I do while cooking it?
Anything else I'll need?
Sides that go good with it?
Clean up?

The better walk though you can give the better, remember I'm a beginner

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
In my area, Its to the point where its CHEAPER to have the guy come and do it for you. I know of several in the area, most raise their own pigs, have one hell of a seasoning of their own and know how to do it right and fast. You don't have to deal with the mess, they sell you a pig cheaper than you can buy it for anywhere else and after you pay them to stay for the day and cook it you're still just about ahead. BUT, this is me thinking I'm throwing a party where I don't get to see people often. I have parties like this every couple of years and it may have been 15 years since I've seen some of these people. We did that math on it a couple of years ago for Uncle Bill's birthday bash. After I got all the details down, its so much cheaper to just call the guy with the pig and smoker trailer to do it in front of the house the day of the event.

BUT : Thats my opinion. I could be wrong.

tdschst

Established Member
In my area, Its to the point where its CHEAPER to have the guy come and do it for you. I know of several in the area, most raise their own pigs, have one hell of a seasoning of their own and know how to do it right and fast. You don't have to deal with the mess, they sell you a pig cheaper than you can buy it for anywhere else and after you pay them to stay for the day and cook it you're still just about ahead. BUT, this is me thinking I'm throwing a party where I don't get to see people often. I have parties like this every couple of years and it may have been 15 years since I've seen some of these people. We did that math on it a couple of years ago for Uncle Bill's birthday bash. After I got all the details down, its so much cheaper to just call the guy with the pig and smoker trailer to do it in front of the house the day of the event.

BUT : Thats my opinion. I could be wrong.

I have a friend that knows someone that will come and cook it (I still need to get the pig) but I would rather be able to do it on my own. I've been researching online and watching videos and have a decent BBQing background so I'm fairly certain I can do it just fine.

I'm looking for some recipes for rubs and injections too. Along with some personal experience/tips for doing it. Thanks for the input tho!

Users who are viewing this thread