School me on porting a boss intake manifold

evanjp

Established Member
Just bought a boss intake and have a 101mm steeda intake. I am thinking about porting it, either myself or with the help of my brother before I put it on. I just want to squeeze every last bit of HP out of it basically.

I just need to know what type of dremel tools I need, sand paper, etc. also, what am I trying to make the runners and throttle body inlet look like? Any ideas or way of thinking is very appreciated. Thanks. Never done porting work before too.

jn2

Established Member
You need a rotary tool and sanding bits and a few flap wheels.

Sanding-Sandpaper-Flap-Wheel-Disc-Set-80-Grit-For-Dremel-Grinding-Rotary-Tools.jpg

these chew through plastic

attach-sander-1.jpg

sanding stones are good to

m7FM5SH9yK2CUo4gNmATOkg.jpg

This kit might be enough, worst case you can buy the bits separate too. Benefit for this one is it's wireless

http://www.harborfreight.com/96-volt-cordless-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-69336.html

Last edited:

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I never ported anything in my life, but I also have the Steeda 101 and a Boss. I decided to do it myself. It took me about 10 hours just going really slow and following up with hand sanding to finish. I had the best luck with a 120 grit sand roll and lots of patience. I googled images from 01bluesnake and some others to get an idea of how to do it and what it should look like.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Just take your time. Remove the seems on the sides and barely open her up. Remember to go a little at a time cause if you remove too much, it can hurt the flow and actually kill power. Also being plastic, the bits or wheels can eat right through it, gum up the plastic or make deep divets. Then smooth it out as best as you can. There are pics out there. I would look at them for guide/example.

evanjp

Established Member
See, I am so afraid I will screw it up royally. If one runner is different I'm sure it would just mess it all up. I want to find someone to send it to to just get it done. With the manifold on now, it feels so much stronger up top. I ran a camaro ss tonight, may have been stock, and just slaughtered it.

How much power is gained from a port job? Is it worth it?

I originally wanted to go the CJ route but it's just too expensive for me. I spend a lot of money on surf fishing stuff like sealed reels and pricey rods. The guy I bought my intake from included a boss elbow so I was covered there. On the gt350 thread, someone mentioned a guy that sells ported throttle bodies. Would that be a good addition too?

WIST, did you take the manifold off and put the stocker back on while you did it? Notice anything different through the butt dyno?

I am so down to do this man. I don't know if I could do it though I'm too scared of screwing it up. WIST, what tools did you use?

jn2

Established Member
You don't have to worry too much about getting each runner 100% identical close enough should be fine.

Dig Race

Established Member
It's not so much porting as it is just cleaning it up. You could do gt350 throttle body on a budget

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I ported mine before I ever installed it on the car, so Im not sure how it felt before.

I went to Menards and bought a $26 dremel and some 120 grit drums to do mine. The dremel I chose had variable speed so I could slow it down or speed it up if needed, even though I only ran it on the lowest setting the whole time so I didnt melt the plastic.

Im sure my runners are not all exact, but it seemed to work fine as far as getting tuned and it went 12.0 at 118 last weekend so it must be running fine :)

evanjp

Established Member
Dude that is insane! So the dremel and 120 grit drums and what kind of sand paper to finish it off by hand?

Can you link the page with the pictures by any chance?

Dude I'm gonna do it man.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on the 180 and then hand sand. I've been porting for around 18 years and plastic is something i hate to mess with but will. I wasn't going to port my boss but since i had it off, thought why not. It can be nice to send stuff to others but it's even better when you can look at it and know you did it yourself.
And no the ports won't be identical and yes, it's more of a clean up but you will remove material. Just take your time. or do you plan on keeping your stock intake or care for it? If not, then practice on it. when you feel good about it, hit up the boss im.
I ported my stock TB and i'm pretty sure i gain anywhere from nothing to barley something. I received an L&M 82 for almost free and that's the only reason i installed it.
The GT350 TB and adatper...has anyone finally got the tuning right for it? I know AED and Lund at one time said heck no to it but might recall recently seeing something about AED maybe working on it?? If you want to buy a GT350 TB and adapter or a ported stocker TB, hit me up. i don't have any use for them.

Users who are viewing this thread