School me on the new edge V6 motors

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Have a 2000 model V6/auto. It's my work car, has over 316k miles on it. Rod finally started knocking in it. So I figure with this many miles, I'm looking to replace with a donor motor from a junkyard, etc.

My question is this: are all of the V6 engines of the new edge body style the same? Any other vehicles that will have the same motor?

Charlington

Established Member
They are pushrod engines. Minor differences between 2000 and 2001+. Popular upgrade is 4.2 engine from an F150. Ford used the 4.2 up till 2007 in the 150 (van also).The block is the same. Only the crank and pistons are different. You can get instructions from the V6 Mustangs websites that I can't remember at the moment but Google 4.2 mustang swap should get several hits,

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the info. Had never heard of the swap. If you happen to remember what the sites are, let me know

Charlington

Established Member
The swap is so easy that is why not much written about it. Some things that must be done are reusing your oilpan, intake but you don't even have to swap wiring or computer. If you rebild your engine you could order a 4.2 shortblock/longblock or just 4.2 crank and pistons. The only thing you need to closely observe is the girdle and crank studs. Some 4.2s and 3.8s have different stuff depending on year and some swappers cut off the protruding extra long studs to clear the oilpan. Oilpan - oh yeah, some oilpans are different in the rear but reusing your oilpan is the best (hence the studs chopping)
Disclaimer - I have only read about this swap and plan doing it someday. The last 4.2l is 7yrs old now but the last 3.8/3.9 is 10yrs so unless you find a low mile engine you may have to rebuild anyway and the cost is about the same so why not go with the 4.2 crank and pistons. You need to keep your oilpan, front accessories, water pump (heads are the same) and intake anyway.
I put a 5.0l Explorer engine (25K miles) in my truck and the money I saved went into motor mounts, radiator, new sensors etc.

Google 4.2 mustang swap

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f133/t9601/

Edit: read the whole thread first and listen to the guy that did the swap (not the 1st poster) as there is some mixed up, uncorrected info by posters in the thread that are not the original swap guy. Never found his original thread about the swap.

Here's some more. I gotta reread them anyway so -

https://www.google.com/search?q=4.2...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:

Charlington

Established Member
You may want the Windstar Intake Manifold swap while it's apart. Good for a dozen HP by itself. Even after you go 4.3l.

spike_africa

Established Member
Also note those motors are based on the 302. So they can take a beating even bone stock. Friend and I added long tube headers and full exhaust, a Procharger on 12psi and made 325rwhp. Ran that for 2 years sold the setup for what he paid for it and went turbo. Made 488rwhp on Justin from VMP tuning's old twin turbo kit from his 10 second car. It was an animal. All in a base model stripper 94 V6 with manual windows and no AC and stick shift. We put a junkyard 00 v6 in and it was a fun car. He still rips it up somewhere.

Charlington

Established Member
Yes sir! LilRoush built a cool 00 Mustang with a 4.2l and an M112 Blower.

Edit. Ford sorta copied the Buick 3.8l and 3.8l Supercharged engine. Put it in the T-Bird, had an IRS too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread