School me on Washers & Dryers! What brand do you have and how long has it lasted?

VenomVeins

Established Member
Well, the older Maytag washer that came with the Condo I bought gave up the ghost....dryer looks to be about 10 years old and doesn't dry all that well unless the clothes are left in for an hour. I was told this was due to being an electric dryer.

The timing is fine with me, since there are a TON of black friday deals going on.

Problem is, what brand do i get? Home Depot/Lowes guys are pushing LG Front load's pretty aggressively, and rank Maytag and Samsung 2nd and 3rd.

They also said to go with a "Gas" dryer instead of electric, but all said that the technology is pretty close now. I do have a gas line that I could easily hook up to, but the previous owner went with an electric for some reason.

So, what brand do you recommend? Top or Front load? Gas or Electric?

Thanks for your input, guys.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
We had a set of the red LG Tromm front loaders for about 6 years that I bought used off craigslist. Only thing I had to replace was a $3 temp sensor in the dryer, they were great. When we moved into the new house I wanted brand new gray LG HE top-loaders to match everything else in the house. Sold the red ones for more than I bought them for and got our realtor to buy the new ones. 2 years later they are perfect. Red ones were electric, new gray ones are gas.

db4f55d753035f1a03266329648b9c83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
We bought a whirlpool washer dryer front load about year and half ago. Has all the wizz bang stuff the wife wanted. Washer went out 1 week after the warranty was up. We bought the lowes 5 year extended warranty and that paid for it. Some sort of circuit board went out. Been good since then.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I have had a set of LG front loaders (electric dryer) since August 2008. They still work as well as the day we got them.

The only issue I've had, took place a few days ago. My wife did not put the lint trap in, and a pair of her skids got sucked into the blower. I did not realize that, but it sure did make an awful noise when it was turned on. I was able to get the front off, locate and remove the undies, then reassemble it in roughly 10 minutes.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I would avoid a front load washer. If you don't care for it properly then it makes the clothes it washes smell like shit.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Every brand will have some good and bad reviews.
Agreed
I would avoid a front load washer. If you don't care for it properly then it makes the clothes it washes smell like shit.
Yeah, had a front load for years, wife hated it. Just got a new Samsung top load washer and dryer about 3-4 months ago. So far, so good.

VenomVeins

Established Member
What kind of ‘proper care’?

Didnt know that as i’ve always had top load machines.

Alot of good info, thanks alot guys!

VegasMichael

Established Member
Going on 7 years with the Maytag Bravos pair. Top load washer and gas dryer. I only use them for like 5 loads a month so I don't know how they'd hold up to heavier use. No problems though. Yet I did notice that the old washers with the agitators got clothes cleaner than the non-agitator models.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I have matching ropers. Washer has lasted 22 years and still going. The dryer lasted 21 years. Got another roper dryer. The washer never has broke down one single time.

Sent from LG G5

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
What kind of ‘proper care’?

Didnt know that as i’ve always had top load machines.

Alot of good info, thanks alot guys!
Cleaning the seals and door, letting it air out after use, running the clean cycle. Once it gets the funky odor it's hard to get rid of. Not to mention I feel toploaders get the clothes cleaner even without a big agitator.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
That's why I wanted a top loader. Wife wanted a front loader, so we got a front loader.

Another thing to keep in mind with a front loader is the door is close to the floor. If you are tall or don't like to bend over get the storage unit to go under it. I'm not sure if I could use ours without them and I'm only 6'1".

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Same here with going from front load to top load, no more mildew and easier to unload when I’m in need of brownie points with the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My wife needs a step stool to reach the bottom of the new washer. She wanted one big enough for a comforter. Lol

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have no idea what we have. If I had to buy new ones I'd look at Speed Queen.
This.

My parent's buy the newest and nicest shit they can at HD/Lowes/Whatever. HE, all sorts of settings, crazy things that you really don't need to wash your clothes. They have replaced 3 sets of washers and dryers in probably the last 10 years.

I want something that will last 25 years and do nothing but clean the clothes and if it breaks, have parts. Right now I have a $250 cheapo from HD that had a nasty scratch in the side so it was discounted. It's been 8 years and it still works just fine, I think I might need to pull it apart and tighten/replace the belt because it squeaks a little with a very full load but we almost never run full loads anymore.

I feel the same way about refrigerators.

Users who are viewing this thread