Scraping noise from rear

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I have been getting a scraping noise from the rear end. It is the same in gear as it is in neutral - as long as the car is moving. I recently had the wheel bearings replaced, so I know that it is not it. While they were being replaced, I saw the ring and pinion - and they both looked good. I didn't see the carrier bearings, but the installer said they looked fine as well.

I have read that some people have this issue and it turned out to be the driveshaft. Seems kind of weird to me in this case. Maybe the differential?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
I would crawl under there and check out the driveshaft. Look for cut marks or rub marks. It doesn't look like your car is lowered, which is usually what causes the driveshaft to rub. If you have an aluminum driveshaft, they are bigger in diameter, and that alone can be enough to rub the brake cables/bracket.

I would check out the drivesahft for those marks, and if it shows no signs of any rubbing, then I would move on to checking other things.

johnnydufus

juicin' and a goosin'
Established Member
have you checked ur brakes by any chance? warped rotors or even high spots? possibly the floating tubes on the caliper bracket could be rusted and is not letting the caliper move from side to side as it is supposed to

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I checked under the car around the driveshaft, and there is nothing hitting there. I'll have to look at the brakes, but I would hope that when they were changing the axle bearings, they would have noticed something like that.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
johnnydufus said:
have you checked ur brakes by any chance? warped rotors or even high spots? possibly the floating tubes on the caliper bracket could be rusted and is not letting the caliper move from side to side as it is supposed to

If this is the case, wouldn't the sound change or go away under braking?

love bandit2

Established Member
your axles might be pitted from when your axle bearings failed... it can cause new bearings to wear out in a matter of months.

Users who are viewing this thread