Screaming sound in bell housing

dazwelding

Established Member
We just started our 03 Cobra for the first time in long time, and there is a screaming sound coming from my bell housing (or that is at least my best guess as to where it is coming from). It sounds to us like it is the starter stuck on, but that may or may not be it.
We have a new McLeod SFI steel bell housing, new McLeod Original Street Twin Clutch and Flywheel, new pilot bearing, new clutch fork, new throw out bearing, new clutch cable, new PA performance starter, and a new T56 Magnum XL Trans. The parts were all purchased in 2014 (except the start is from 2020), but this is the first we have started the car with them in.
The trans does have fluid in it. We did index the bell housing.
Any ideas???
We have never used an SFI bell housing before, so we are hoping someone out there with experience can share some light on what could be happening.

dazwelding

Established Member
Update- the screaming is only when the clutch pedal is pressed. Let the clutch out the sound goes away completely. So it is obviously not the starter

Last edited:

dazwelding

Established Member
It is definitely clutch related. We loosened the firewall adjuster to get a bunch of pedal slack and you can hear the sound start as the pedal is pressed down. It gets louder the farther it is pressed down.

MG0h3

Established Member
You cant lube a TOB. It’s sealed.

Hopefully you can see in there.

If it starts the moment the bearing starts spinning, I’d guess the bearing is bad.

FYI the bearing should be spinning at all times. Even with no pedal pressure, it should lightly be touching the fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Lube as in lube the sleeve. If it's making that much racket, it's probably dried out and slung all the grease out. Next to go will be the bearings and then the sleeve soon after.

MG0h3

Established Member
It’s not spinning on the sleeve. Other than moving fore and aft, that portion is stationary. Similar to the inner race of a bearing.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Does the bh have an inspection hole? The way you describe it, I wouldn't be surprised if your fork is touching the pp.

dazwelding

Established Member
Does the bh have an inspection hole? The way you describe it, I wouldn't be surprised if your fork is touching the pp.
Thank you for suggesting this, I should be able to see in there enough to see if that is it. This sounds like it may be it. I will look at this tonight

dazwelding

Established Member
Lube as in lube the sleeve. If it's making that much racket, it's probably dried out and slung all the grease out. Next to go will be the bearings and then the sleeve soon after.
It is not dry. There is ample grease on the shaft and on the bearing.

dazwelding

Established Member
You cant lube a TOB. It’s sealed.

Hopefully you can see in there.

If it starts the moment the bearing starts spinning, I’d guess the bearing is bad.

FYI the bearing should be spinning at all times. Even with no pedal pressure, it should lightly be touching the fingers.

It does not start the racket until after the clutch pedal is pressed down slightly. It does not make the sound with the TOB touching the fingers and spinning. It sounds like something is hitting the fingers. When the clutch pedal is slowly and slightly pressed down we can hear the sound start and it starts out like a rattle, then it turns into an unbearably load scream the further the pedal is pressed.

dazwelding

Established Member
I watched Cleetus McFarland’s videos where he has a screaming sound coming from the bell housing after installing a new clutch. Turns out he installed a triple disc clutch and the third disc did not engage on the spline teeth. Then when he pushed the pedal down to disengage the clutch the third disc pressed against the teeth and got torn up. Now I am wondering if I have a similar situation. Is it possible I have a clutch for a 26 spline T56 and not for a 26 spline T56 Magnum?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the input shaft is the same between the Magnum and T56 26 spline upgrade. You're going to have to pull the trans and see what's going on at this point. We can guess all day, but until you dig in you're not going to find it. It sounds like it should be easy to spot at least.

MG0h3

Established Member
You wouldn’t be able to bolt the trans up if the input shaft weren’t through the disc.

Not sure what putting the disc in upside down could do. Never tried.

dazwelding

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the input shaft is the same between the Magnum and T56 26 spline upgrade. You're going to have to pull the trans and see what's going on at this point. We can guess all day, but until you dig in you're not going to find it. It sounds like it should be easy to spot at least.
We are pulling it out today.

dazwelding

Established Member
Pilot bushing is destroyed. Is there a specific bushing for the T56 Magnum XL vs the OEM T56?

dazwelding

Established Member
Ouch. Did you have to force the trans in place when you were installing it?
Actually it was a pilot bearing not a bushing. I will replace it with a bushing. And yes I would imagine I damaged it while installing the trans. I definitely had to fight with it to get it in.

Users who are viewing this thread