SCT BA 3000 Issue

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Recently dumped my 80mm stock MAF with Diablo MAFIA and switched to the BA3000 blow through setup.

Easy switch mechanically.....Problems began with retune.

The BA3000 housing is 4" while my piping after the MAF is 3.5 inches with my P1SC. NO problem bought a 4" to 3.5" reducing coupling.

Car went for retune.....My tuner called me to say the MAF housing was continually separating on the 4" side at 3500 RPM. The 3.5 inch coupling and tubing were fine.

Installed T-Bolt clamps thinking the change in air from 4" narrowed to 3.5" was blowing the piping apart? Held for a while.....

Problem now is despite T-Bolts....I will periodically get the 4" housing separating from the 4" coupling despite the T-Bolts. My theory is as the piping heats up and the subsequent heating and cooling causes the housing and coupling to wiggle apart. Will happen in the morning without any airflow as well..

I tried silicon but didn't help. The damn SCT 4" housing has only about 1" for the coupling to grab and no "lip" milled into to prevent this very thing from happening??...

The BA 3000 will not fit in my stock 80mm housing that never separated under the same boost levels.....Solutions?

1.) Switch to an 03/04 Cobra housing/MAF but I am unsure if that housing is 3.5 inch and would I need a MAFIA again?

2.) Tack(sp?) weld the 4" housing to the 3.5 inch piping and simply use the coupling I have?

3.) Buy a smaller SCT BA(2600, 2800) MAF? And does this have a smaller 3.5 inch housing?

I am leaning towards the welding? ANY other suggestions that won't cost hundreds of dollars?

MAF has maybe 500 miles on it? Thanks.....

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Aluminum with the BA 3000. I really think the lack of a milled edge makes the coupling slip off?

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's why I was asking. If it's aluminum you can either have someone tack on a few weld puddles or drill holes and put rivets in. They'll give the clamp something to grab.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Also try scuffing the inside of the coupler. I had to do that on a buddies power pipe to keep it from sliding off the blower.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Also try scuffing the inside of the coupler. I had to do that on a buddies power pipe to keep it from sliding off the blower.

I did try and scuff the metal and put a bunch of silicone but didn't hold.

I am having a welder add some metal around the lip to give the the clamp something to bite onto

Interestingly enough, I called my new tuner and told him about the lipless housing. He pulled out an old BA3000 housing and it had a lip on it.....this new housing maybe from a new manufacturer?

If anyone cares I will post the results of my welding fix...

Users who are viewing this thread