Sct chip and a hand held tuner???

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
Can you use a handheld tuner while having a sct chip in the computer?? This is on a 2003 cobra. Thanks sorry if this is a dumb question , I did a google search and it only brought up sct chip info about flip switches. thanks

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
What are you wanting to use the handheld tuner for, to datalog only or to tune?
If you are using the handheld to tune, then pull the chip.
If you are using the handheld to datalog only, then you will be fine.

I sent you a PM earlier regarding this, but again my advice is this. If you are going to use a handheld, pull the chip and try to sell it to recoup some of your costs.

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
I dont want both , my car has a chip already and i have added some additional upgrades sine it was tuned a few weeks ago. I didnt know if I could just pick up a used hand held and adjust my tune via the handheld tuner and datalog it myself. My tuner was backed up with work so I didnt want to bother him.

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
What are you wanting to use the handheld tuner for, to datalog only or to tune?
If you are using the handheld to tune, then pull the chip.
If you are using the handheld to datalog only, then you will be fine.

I sent you a PM earlier regarding this, but again my advice is this. If you are going to use a handheld, pull the chip and try to sell it to recoup some of your costs.

Thanks for response / pm. I sent you a pm before I read this reply sorry. So if I pull the sct chip , and use a xcal I can tune and datalog?? thanks

Franchi

Established Member
Yep, if you pull the chip, you can tune and datalog. Just be aware that whatever X3 you get, it will read the tune on the car as the "stock" tun and save it.

Most people don't care as thy never plan on going back to the stock tune but just letting you know.

kb03cobra2.2

Established Member
Yep, if you pull the chip, you can tune and datalog. Just be aware that whatever X3 you get, it will read the tune on the car as the "stock" tun and save it.

Most people don't care as thy never plan on going back to the stock tune but just letting you know.
When I go to the sctflash website, it states the xcal x3 comes without a loaded tune, do i not have to have a tune loaded in the handheld to in order to start tuning or does it just take my stock tune and allow me to modify it? and should I order a handheld from a company with the free 3 tune setup that is ready for my car? American muscle has there Bama sct x3 for $379 with 3 free custom tunes and free shipping. The tunes that come on the x3 from them , can I modify them myself with the tuning setup within the tuner, or do I have to creat my own tune?? sorry for all the questions, I have tuned with a Anderson PMS system on a foxbody car with twin turbos and wideband. Thanks for any further help you can provide/

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
When I go to the sctflash website, it states the xcal x3 comes without a loaded tune, do i not have to have a tune loaded in the handheld to in order to start tuning or does it just take my stock tune and allow me to modify it? and should I order a handheld from a company with the free 3 tune setup that is ready for my car? American muscle has there Bama sct x3 for $379 with 3 free custom tunes and free shipping. The tunes that come on the x3 from them , can I modify them myself with the tuning setup within the tuner, or do I have to creat my own tune?? sorry for all the questions, I have tuned with a Anderson PMS system on a foxbody car with twin turbos and wideband. Thanks for any further help you can provide/
In regards to the X3, it is simply the tool that will upload your custom tune to the PCM and can be used to datalog.

The Advantage III/PRP is what you will use to create a custom tune. It will have the vehicles base tune for you to start from.

In regards to the tunes from American Muscle. I would be HIGHLY surprised if they will offer you a tune for your vehicle. From my experieience if you have a CAI/GEARS or simple bolt on stuff, no problem. Turbos....I don't think so, but you can contact them to try.

Users who are viewing this thread