SCT tune

cobra0393

Established Member
Im thinking about getting a SCT tune for my 93 lightning. The Guy told me he could add up to 20 horse and make it shift alot harder. What do you guys think.
Jamey

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
What do you have done to your Lightning? If it's stock, I don't know about that statement. To make it shift harder, get a FTVB, unless you L is horribly detuned/out of tune, I don't see how it could make up to 20 horses. Just my 2 cents-Josh

Matt95L

Established Member
20hp seems reasonable(If the guy knows his stuff) i've heard of guys with near stock trucks picking up allot of power with a dyno tune.I wouldn't use the SCT or any chip type devise to firm up the shifts though thats bad for the tranny from what i hear.If you want firmer shifts get a Factorytech valvebody like Soul Rebel suggested.

Last edited:

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Then I think it is possible, 20 rwhp is a lot. Matt, I didn't know guys with basically stock trucks could pick up so much hp. If the price is right, then I'd go for it.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i saw sal from psp give a local guy almost thirty at the wheels with a chip and tune. after i was that i started asking about a chip. sal guarenteed me at least twenty. that's a pretty bold statement from a well respected tuner. i'd do it if i had the cash laying around.

Jamie R.

Established Member
You guys are talking about Speed Density trucks right? I did'nt know SCT could do SD chips, if they can then that's great!!!

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

Jamie R.

Established Member
So can any SCT chip dealer that has a dyno burn a S.D. chip? I only had one real option about getting a chip and dyno from one place, but now that I know other places can do a SD chip I can try somewhere else.

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

Jamie R.

Established Member
It's great!!!!!! I know that a chip burnt on the dyno would be even better for it though. I am even using 24 lb injectors with a stock SD computer and have the truck running fine!! So far 13.27 on street tires spinning one tire with a 2.19 60' because my traction lock is going out! I think it might can break into the 12's when I get my traction lock fixed. I want to run 12's on street tires.

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

tk2

Established Member
Jamie are those times with a 6 rib or 8 rib set up? And what other fuel upgrades have you done other than the 24 lbers?

Jamie R.

Established Member
8 rib and other than that it's got the Vortech supplied inline which is 155 lph if I'm not mistaken. I have Steve's 2 pump trick sittin' in the shop I just have not installed it. I think another upgrade would be going to the 255 lph inline as I've read some nice things about it on the NLOC.net.

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

Last edited:

tk2

Established Member
So how are you getting it tuned for the 24lber's? Chip or tweecer? And are you still running a 12 to 1 FMU? I suprised to hear the stock inline is holding up to feed those 24's.

Jamie R.

Established Member
I would go by way of a chip on the dyno. I'm using the Vortech supplied FMU. So far everything is ok. The tweecer does'nt sound bad but I doubt I'll be changing much on this truck, that's why I would probably just get a chip.

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

Jamie R.

Established Member
If you were'nt so far away I would get my tune at the same time!! Thanks for the offer though!!

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

Users who are viewing this thread