SCT tuner question

Black96vert

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have a 96 cobra mustang with a couple of bolt ons. It has an offroad h-pipe on it. Soon after it was installed the check engine light came on. It has been like that for two years now since I am very busy. It seems like too much trouble to change out the mil-eliminators since I can not even get under the car. Long story short I want to clear the code with a tuner and boost my performance at the same time.

Here is one I am looking at on ebay: Unlocked SCT SF3 3015 Tuner Programmer for Ford with Preloaded SCT Tunes | eBay

My question is after clearing my codes and increasing the performance of my cobra can I sell it back on ebay? Will someone else be able to use it to tune their ford and clear codes if they choose? It talks about lock and unlock which I am not sure what that really means. Once it is used on a particular car does it have to stay with that particular car?

Thanks

02Stang88

Established Member
It locks to your engines computer so the only way the device can be reused on another car is if you return your car back to the stock settings or mail the device to SCT and pay them $100 to unlock it. I learned the hard way. bought a used one that I was told was unlocked. Payed $150 for it, figuring I'd buy the unlimited tunes for $150 and only spend $300 when they are $375 new. Well he lied about it being unlocked and I had to $100 bucks to have it unlocked, would have saved $25 buying it brand new! But once I got it working it was great. Hope this helps and that my bad experience doesn't happen to you man.

Users who are viewing this thread