SCT Tunes.... Can you share them???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I have a quick question. Tuners can E-mail someone a tune correct? If thats the case, why dont we create a thread of tunes? You could list your mods and link the tune. Im sure some people will like the idea and some wont. It was just a thought, if it is even possible...:shrug:

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
wouldn't that be stealing?

...like an mp3. You pay for you to use the product....

ynotsvt

SVT
Established Member
I think what hes getting at, is if you and someone else have similar mods, but say one has a better tune, than you can download their tune from them and use it in you car. Not really stealing because they have to upload the file in order for you to download it.:beer:

Im not sure if it would be the same but I know it can be done with powercommanders for bikes.

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
but someone had to write and program that tune, and they got paid for it. Sharing it with the world via the internet would be outting the tuner of his services.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
It may be possible, but I don't really think that it is. SCT and other programs are locked to the VIN of the car. It would not work with another VIN.

Brent

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I am sure you are correct, but if you could share them, I'm not sure how effective it would really be anyway. There's not going to be one majic tune that makes the most rwhp on every car.

On the subject of tuners not getting paid fo rtheir work, I'm not sure about how much work they are actualy doing. A dyno tune yes, but something you are getting through e-mail; there's not a lot of time effort, or resources invested in those.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
SVTStrikesBack said:
but something you are getting through e-mail; there's not a lot of time effort, or resources invested in those.

horseshit. I'll agree maybe not on THAT tune, but you aren't paying for that tune. you are paying for the (hopefully) years of epxerience of tuning cars and extracting performance out of the complicated labryinth of an engine management computer.

its like the old story of Thomas Edison fixing a converyor belt in a factory. he was called in to fix it, he walked in, looked around for 10 minutes. Broke out a screwdriver and tightened down a screw. a few weeks later the factory owner got a bill for $1,000. The owner, furious, sent a 3 page letter bashing the man. Edison sent an invoice back to the owner:

$1 for turning screwdriver
$999 for knowing which screw to tighten

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I don't know who you are talking about doing these tunes, but I have watched someone do one, and it certainly wasn't years worth of experience of extracting performance out of the complicated labryinth of an engine mamangement computer. Someone sold that crap to you and you bought it. (I mean that figuratively, not literaly)

From what I understand, the mail order tunes come from a database that all SCT people have access to, so yes, someone somewhere had to get in there and figure something out to an extent. BUT, it certainly won't be your tuner that is doing that work, so who are you stealing from?

TRUST ME, your tuner is not figuring out anything with a mail order tune. In fact, most of the time, there is nothing to figure out ECU wise for a dyno tune. They go, well, this works, so lets do more of that. The dyno just confirms that it is making power when it's supposed to. Experiecnce on tuning does let you know what cars respond to what, but I think you are giving a tuner a little too much credit for what they are doing for a tune they are e-mailing you. The changes they are making are pretty simple.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
who do you think came up with the database? Your telling me that a tuner just sits at a computer, throws random numbers at a computer screen and takes a check and calls it a day?

no way. Of course, when you do something day in and day out it becomes easier and easier to do each time. but that doesn't mean a certified SCT tuner hasn't been through the classes and sat hours in classrooms and in front of a computer screen learning tables, variables, and engine statistics.

maybe YOU just go to shitty tuners ;)

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Doug said:
maybe YOU just go to shitty tuners ;)

You don't now what the hell either I am, or you are, talking about.

Where did you get the idea I said anything about throwing numbers at a computer? Where did you get the idea that I sid they are getting a check for nothing? Where did you get the idea that I said they aren't trained for what they do?

I SAID, a mail order tune isn't much work. It's not. You tell them what you have, they enter it into a computer, it dos the work. Not hard. I said that for a dyno tune, they aren't figuring out the Ford ECU, because they are not. You are getting way off topic here as I originaly made the point that there is not a lot of work going into a tune that a CUSTOMER (i.e. "you") would get via e-mail. Upon reading the original post again, I see that he was referring to just e-mailing tunes back and forth, but my earlier statement about there being no "magic" tune that will work for everyone still hold true.

I implied that there are time and resources spent in dyno tunes, but now I am stating it in case you overlooked it. For the record, you shouldn't use someone elses dyno tune anyway, as two cars can vary quite a bit, and a dyno tune should be much more towards the ragged edge. Power adder cars, forget it.

My orgininal statement referred to the fact that if you say, took every SCT tuner nation wide,and gave them all the same info, you should get a similar tune via e-mail. There's a lot of people that buy an Xcal2 over the phone, tell them what mods they have, and they get the tuner. Some may never see a dyno. It doesn't take some deciphering or some complex algorithm to put a tune like that together. That's all I meant. As far as the database goes, I said that someone had to figure it out, but your garden variety SCT tuner doesn't do that. If you think someone would be stealing by taking advantage of that info, well, you had to pay for the tuner didn't you?

All this is a moot point as I don't think you can do it anyway. Like was said before, the Xcals are vin locked, so it stands to reason you'd have to give them your product info, so it would probaly only work on your Xcal.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
the database the "computer" gathers its info and makes its decisions from is based on a collaboration of years of tuning experience by experts in the field. a couple programmers and back yard carb tweakers didn't get together and create the XCT system.

Whether or not a mail order tune has a lot of time spent in it directly. There was a lot of time spent on Dynos and at the track to make it possible to easily access that sort of information.

All in the field of Intellectual Property.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Just wondering because I have to order one and I am afraid it will do damage to the motor after I get the sc on. I kinda dont trust mail order because you dont know if its going to be correct. With a tune someone else has I figured I be safer because it works for someone else with similar mods. I planned on loading it in and driving to get tuned, its about an hour drive and I dont have a trailer to take it on.

Last edited:

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
If you aren't driving it too far and aren't changing injectors 1st, you will be fine with no tune, assuming you can stay at low rpm, which shouldn't be too difficult. With that being said, you will be fine with a mail order tune for just driving it there. Some supercharger makers acutaly put a chip int their kits that you can plug in and run around on. Where poeple don't like mail order tunes and these chips blower makers put in their kits is 1, they don't extract the max performance out of the set up, and 2, there IS a remote chance that even with a conservative tune, you could run into problems.

The point is, you are going to get something conservative if it's not done on a dyno. You will be fine just driving the car with a tune they email you, just take is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread