SCT vs Diable Handheld Tuner

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
SCT vs Diablo Predator Handheld Tuner

I found a thread on the subject, but I wanted to ask the question to just us L owners. I know that a lot of people say just get whatever your tuner uses.
However I want to know the feature differences between the two. The price differences between the SCT and Diablo Level 1 Packages is like $60. Why is the SCT more? Is it more user friendly, can it hold more maps?

Is it just me or is SCT more popular?

I plan on going to JLP for tuning, and correct me if I am wrong, but does he only tune with Diablo?

Last edited:

thorntonSVT

Established Member
From what I have heard SCT is better at datalogging. Could be wrong. I had a diablo on my mustang and liked it just fine.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
ive had both...
The diablosport screen is superior due to its size.
The SCT is superior due to its datalogging

pretty much it comes down to preference and what your tuner can tune with.
I only switched to the SCT for its datalogging capabilities nothing else.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
so with an SCT, you can essentially create a better tune than a predator?

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I have both on my truck and the main dif is the xcal3 has better datalogging and can hold more custom tunes. A predator is limited to 1 custom tune I am told.

DolSVT00

Established Member
I’ve used both, the Diablo is far superior for tuning on the fly, datalogging and ease of use for the end user than the xcal2. Plus you don’t need a laptop to datalog with the Diablo, it has its own internal memory that you can download from later if you want, and with the adjustability features you can take a crap tune and adjust it to a spot on tune.

For those that say the Diablo datalogging is not good, you have not seen the software that’s been out in the last year. It is simply amazing.

Also the Diablo now holds 5 tunes not just one, new software and firmware has come leaps and bounds from a year ago. And the upgrades are all free.
Here's a thread in the how to section that shows some uses of the new software http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...read-air-fuel-using-diablosport-predator.html

Now the bad: Diablo is not really supported by the good Lightning tuners and I don’t ever think it will, and this is why I suggest if your in the market for a tuner…. You buy an SCT

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I’ve used both, the Diablo is far superior for tuning on the fly, datalogging and ease of use for the end user than the xcal2. Plus you don’t need a laptop to datalog with the Diablo, it has its own internal memory that you can download from later if you want, and with the adjustability features you can take a crap tune and adjust it to a spot on tune.

For those that say the Diablo datalogging is not good, you have not seen the software that’s been out in the last year. It is simply amazing.

Also the Diablo now holds 5 tunes not just one, new software and firmware has come leaps and bounds from a year ago. And the upgrades are all free.
Here's a thread in the how to section that shows some uses of the new software http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...read-air-fuel-using-diablosport-predator.html

Now the bad: Diablo is not really supported by the good Lightning tuners and I don’t ever think it will, and this is why I suggest if your in the market for a tuner…. You buy an SCT

I had nothing but issues when logging on my predator...and not one my my xcal3. also on my xcal I can also datalog without the laptop.
Like i said ive had both...and if the predator didnt give me any issues logging id still have it. As for holding multiple tunes..that was pointless for me since I only use a single tune..and if i did use multiples id just load whichever i planned on using and go from there. My laptop goes with me everywhere so changing a tune is simple.

Last edited:

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
does SCT even make the xcal2 anymore or is the xcal3 just the updated version?

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
o/t but do you have to pay for the update? id like to have my tunes all on my handheld since i run low boost, high boost and high boost with spray and have tunes for all them seperate

DolSVT00

Established Member
o/t but do you have to pay for the update? id like to have my tunes all on my handheld since i run low boost, high boost and high boost with spray and have tunes for all them seperate

Updates for the predator, no they are all free. Just update to the latest software in the handheld and upload your tunes.

If you have 5 tunes you can store them all in the Predator, I keep 4 in mine 1 street, 1 street with NOS, 1 race, 1 race with NOS.

You must have the tunes first, and you'll probably have to pay your tuner to make them if you don't already have them.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
ok just checking. I already have them all made up. Just right now all i have is street tune in my handheld and the race tune and nitrous tune in the chip. Ill update and let him put them in the tuner for me. What cables do i need to hook to a vista laptop

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It has to be a newer Predator, the older aqua-green predators such as my own lack the physical memory for the new firmware, and can only hold one tune. I've got a custom dyno tune from Sal on it, wouldent mind having a race tune but I've been extremely pleased with the power i'm making considering it's a conservative all weather Kansas tune.

Sonic Blue L

Established Member
another option that may be available is this:

I have a predator and my tuner can tune with sct/diablo/sniper. He himself prefers the sct tuning software, so he tuned my truck using sct, but then converted the file for my predator.

I found the predator can have some tuning hickups when you adjust parameters, however that might have been my own fault as you should always reset parameters before you make changes. My tuner recommend that if i want changes that i get him to do the changes and he will send me a revised tune file. (i however have free updates).

With that said i never had a problem when tweaking the canned predator tunes, just the custom tunes. I actually had my canned tune the way i wanted them, however i wanted to use a mafia, thus a custom tune was required.

Users who are viewing this thread