SCT X2 vs. X3???

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I am getting ready to purchase a tuner on payday coming up,and I was wondering if there was any main differences between the beloved x2,and the new x3?? I know they are the same price,but would it be better to stick with the x2 since so many mustang tuners know it already?? or are the tuning parameters pretty much the same??

Also,does anyone use the "two step" rev limiter,and if so,what do you set your launch/rev points at??

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
as far as i know, the x3 is pretty much the same as the x2. This comming from the people who i bought it from. And on my n/a mildly modded car it seriously changed it, so for someone with more mods its def gonna be a lot better.

and for the 2 step iv herd its better to go with the spark related 2 step rather than off of the tuner...but thats imo

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
as far as i know, the x3 is pretty much the same as the x2. This comming from the people who i bought it from. And on my n/a mildly modded car it seriously changed it, so for someone with more mods its def gonna be a lot better.

and for the 2 step iv herd its better to go with the spark related 2 step rather than off of the tuner...but thats imo

So I should expect to feel a gain from uploading a canned tune into my PCM?? After putting the 4.10's in,I immediately felt it,and now im curious to see if i I can squeeze out more power before doing a motor build/blower.

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
when i went to upr by me, i got the x3 and jeremy there got all my info on what i have done with my car and he uploaded the tune based on that (cai, cat-back w/ xpipe). And the difference from a 1st to 3rd gear pull btwn my car when i first got it was soooo much different then when i got the tune...the car felt like it was a whole new car. So with your 4.10's, intake and exhaust your going to feel a huge difference. As far as the canned tune though, i dont know much about, but you should still feel a difference...hopefully one of the other forum members have their input on that part.

hope that helps a bit.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
They are basically the same, the Xcal3 loads faster and allows data logging on the unit but that are the only real differences. The 4v's are sensative to tune, canned tune really wouldn't be much better than stock, a custom tune would be better but a dyno tune is best. After having a custom tune I lost low and mid range power but pulled like crazy up top. So I'm getting a dyno tune to help with the mid and low power.

2001asp

Established Member
BoostLag, You should wait to get your tuner here. Everyone around this area gets their tuning performed by Brent at DTP www.dtpracing.com When you buy the X3 get it from Brent and then they custom tune your car on the Dyno. Check my Torque number, Brents got major Talent. You and I have similar Mods....My car is a beast with the new tune.....

Last edited:

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
when i went to upr by me, i got the x3 and jeremy there got all my info on what i have done with my car and he uploaded the tune based on that (cai, cat-back w/ xpipe). And the difference from a 1st to 3rd gear pull btwn my car when i first got it was soooo much different then when i got the tune...the car felt like it was a whole new car. So with your 4.10's, intake and exhaust your going to feel a huge difference. As far as the canned tune though, i dont know much about, but you should still feel a difference...hopefully one of the other forum members have their input on that part.

hope that helps a bit.

ahh,gotcha,thanks.

They are basically the same, the Xcal3 loads faster and allows data logging on the unit but that are the only real differences. The 4v's are sensative to tune, canned tune really wouldn't be much better than stock, a custom tune would be better but a dyno tune is best. After having a custom tune I lost low and mid range power but pulled like crazy up top. So I'm getting a dyno tune to help with the mid and low power.

so what is the main difference between a canned and custom tune?? Or am I using the wrong terminology? (by canned tune I mean - send them your info,they send you a tune with the tuner).

BoostLag, You should wait to get your tuner here. Everyone around this area gets their tuning performed by Brent at DTP www.dtpracing.com When you buy the X3 get it from Brent and then they custom tune your car on the Dyno. Check my Torque number, Brents got major Talent. You and I have similar Mods....My car is a beast with the new tune.....

So you suggest I wait until I get back to VA to get an SCT?? DTP def. isnt too far from me,so that wouldnt be too much of a problem. The main two reasons I wanted to get the tuner,is 1. to correct my speedo, and 2. to see if I could squeeze a tiny bit more power out of the car. After putting the 4.10's in,it has gotten me curious.

Users who are viewing this thread