sct x4 updates

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
If you are talking about a firmware update I would. I did a firmware update on my X4 and it totally screwed everything up. Ended up having SCT do a remote fix on it to get it right again. I have no idea what I did or did not do but have been told to return to stock prior to any firmware update. If you are doing a tune update I do not think you have to return to stock.

Last edited:

Mainn

Established Member
Return to stock whenever you update the device, or load an e-mail tune onto it. Spending an extra few minutes doing it properly can save you a bunch of time and hassle later on. :)

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Return to stock whenever you update the device, or load an e-mail tune onto it. Spending an extra few minutes doing it properly can save you a bunch of time and hassle later on. :)

^^^ Great advice.

Best practices for a trouble-free SCT X4 device update:

1. ***Return your car to its stock tune*** This preserves your stock tune file if things go badly during your device update. It is easier to have custom tune files restored on the handheld device than it is to restore your stock tune file into your PCM once you have corrupted or lost it.

2. ***Before connecting your SCT X4 to a computer,*** Open SCT Device Updater program, and it should auto-update if the version you have has been superseded. If it does not auto-update or the update fails, go to SCT’s tech support site and download and manually install the current version of Updater for your device https://www.sctflash.com/support. Once the update or installation is complete, go to the next step.

3. Open SCT Device Updater program.

4. Plug your handheld device into a USB port. It may take a minute or two for drivers to load. Wait for the program to establish a connection with your device.

5. Select “Automatically Check for Updates”. Confirm that you have returned your car to its stock tune. Your firmware and other handheld updates will be downloaded and installed. This process may take a few minutes to complete.

6. Once the device update is complete, you may add new custom tune files if desired. Close SCT Device Updater and unplug the SCT X4 device.

7. You are now ready to load the desired custom tune file into your car by following the prompts on the handheld. The device will once again store your stock tune file and load the custom tune file into your PCM. You can then switch between multiple custom tune files (91, 93, 100 octane, street, race) at any point WITHOUT returning the car to its stock tune.

There are two trains of thought regarding SCT device updates… either update them often OR never update them if you do not frequently (or never) switch tunes. If you have not updated your SCT device in over two years and then decide to do it, expect to have problems and plan to fool with it during SCT Tech Support normal business hours so they can bail you out when everything goes south and you end up with a device that won’t do anything. It gets to a point where there are so many updates that the device cannot recognize or process them. I had this happen with my SCT X3 in the past and they saved me.

Personally, I have a winter tune and summer tune on my SCT X4 that I switch between, and I take that time to update my device at least twice a year, and I have not had any problems.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread