seafoam - hate to ask

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Very curious if this actually has any positive effect in cleaning the internals. Any research/studies have been done on this? Not saying it doesn't work - just curious. When I cleaned the secondary ports, that crap was caked on and needed a good amount of scrubbing to clean. Not sure a shot of sea foam would do anything meaningful.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Very curious if this actually has any positive effect in cleaning the internals. Any research/studies have been done on this? Not saying it doesn't work - just curious. When I cleaned the secondary ports, that crap was caked on and needed a good amount of scrubbing to clean. Not sure a shot of sea foam would do anything meaningful.

It is not designed to clean intake ports.

It is a combustion chamber cleaner.
It will burn Soot and carbon off of the valves, plugs, pistons, etc...

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
It is not designed to clean intake ports.

It is a combustion chamber cleaner.
It will burn Soot and carbon off of the valves, plugs, pistons, etc...

I realize that, and perhaps my example wasn't very good. What I was trying to get at is the fact that this stuff might not be strong enough to remove even carbon off a valve. That's why I was inquiring about a study on the effectiveness of seafoam.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I've used it as a solvent cleaning parts before and it works well.
I've used the spray before and it also works well.

I've been there at a buddies shop years ago when they borascoped a cylinder before and after and you could see a difference.

Pulled plugs before, and after in a motor with not so good rings and could see a difference.

Just based on my personal experience I think it works well for what it is designed.

The caked on gunk in the intake ports is far different than carbon build up in the cylinder.
With that said, seafaom has been used to hand clean IMRCs and it works there too.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
U guys should post vids of this.

It always makes me lol when I see people putting that crap in their cars.

+1

2013_08_25_1_0cf7e4df384f6a24df8c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread