Seafoam to find an exhaust leak?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been dealing with what seems like an exhaust leak, but it 's hard to track down and is only audible under load.

Flipping around the web I've seen ideas such as stuffing a towel in the tailpipe, but with a crossover in the exhaust I don't think it would work as good. Another idea was using Seafoam and following the white smoke. This seems like it might be the easiest way to track it down?

cbr repsol

Established Member
sounds like exhaust manifold gasket or if u have lt's header gaskets. I bough a 89 ford bronco and had the same problem. I could only hear the leak under load, 1200-1400 rpm. I thought maybe the manifold was cracked since its such a old vehicle. I pulled the manifolds off and sure enough the bolts were loose and the gaskets were destroyed.

I dont think the sea foam would be the greatest idea since that stuff is pretty nasty , it really smokes you out. Dont want u to be breathing that stuff looking for a leak under the car.. if u do wind up doing that make sure the car is outside very well vented and not in the garage.

Blueline

Established Member
What if you smoke it from the tail pipe in? I wonder if you could fill the exhaust through the tail pipes without starting the car obviously, just use a smoke machine or something to fill it :shrug:

Sagittaria

Established Member
Under load it's usually header/manifold gaskets... I've pulled mine twice for the same reason... stupid Kooks gaskets. :cuss:

cbr repsol

Established Member
What if you smoke it from the tail pipe in? I wonder if you could fill the exhaust through the tail pipes without starting the car obviously, just use a smoke machine or something to fill it :shrug:
really dont think that would work.
Under load it's usually header/manifold gaskets... I've pulled mine twice for the same reason... stupid Kooks gaskets. :cuss:

just as i said

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
My guess is it's the damn header gaskets as well. In my last project we found the #1 primary very loose. Tightened it up but the gasket is probably dead already.

This is a nice setback while my Whipple sits lonely in the garage.

Car has Bassani headers btw.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Why dont you think it would work? Im just curious, I dont know if it would or wouldnt, just thought of it. I know shops use smoke machines to fine leaks in EVAP systems etc.

well u would have to plug up one pipe properly then the other tail pipe would have to have something made so the smoke your putting in doesnt come right back out. Then by the time it got through the muffler and cats i dont think the effect would work properly. also if u have the stock kmember its pretty hard to see under the car properly to see where the smokes coming from. Its also tough to see from the top sides as well cause the dohc motors are pretty wide. the smoke machine is mainly used to thread onto the gas tank and check the evap system. If im wrong give me a good reason why ...but from my exper it really sounds like manifold gaskets.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Dwight, you know a good spot on these motors to hook an engine support brace to drop the K?

Blueline

Established Member
well u would have to plug up one pipe properly then the other tail pipe would have to have something made so the smoke your putting in doesnt come right back out. Then by the time it got through the muffler and cats i dont think the effect would work properly. also if u have the stock kmember its pretty hard to see under the car properly to see where the smokes coming from. Its also tough to see from the top sides as well cause the dohc motors are pretty wide. the smoke machine is mainly used to thread onto the gas tank and check the evap system. If im wrong give me a good reason why ...but from my exper it really sounds like manifold gaskets.

Im not saying your wrong, I just thought it may work and after reading the OP, it was something I just thought of. :beer:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Noise under load is normally header gaskets. However when it's just a pin hole in the exhaust you can start the car cold in the garage and let it idle for a few minutes, garage door open of course. Then look under and you'll see a few droplets of water on the ground where the leak is at.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Yea, I meant where the hell can hook them on the Cobra motors? :burnout:

ive seen people make brakets like this if wanting to hold it or drop in from the top.

hope this helps
112h9n7.jpg

34htf8z.jpg

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
and Remflex gaskets.. I have them on my bassani headers for a few years now with no issues! With the tranny still installed, I just hooked the support brace to the studs almost at the top of the timing cover. You could also do a idler pulley on the driver side and a tensioner bolt on the passenger. Seen and done it both ways.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
and Remflex gaskets.. I have them on my bassani headers for a few years now with no issues! With the tranny still installed, I just hooked the support brace to the studs almost at the top of the timing cover. You could also do a idler pulley on the driver side and a tensioner bolt on the passenger. Seen and done it both ways.

What bolts are you using for the headers?

cobraJason

Established Member
How hard is it to get to the bolts and replace the gasket its not the 15 hour job it took me to get the damn headers on is it?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I am using stage 8 lockers, some of the tear drop things I had to modify to get to fit. I believe it was only a few that had to be modified with a dremel.

Which headers?

Looks like the Stage 8 kit has 16 of the large teardrops, and only 8 of the smaller ones. Apparently the smaller ones are easier to use with Bassani headers.

Stage8Bolts.jpg

The FRPP version looks like semi circles:

M-9432-A51_full.jpg

I wonder which is easier to work with. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread