Sealing my powder coated rims

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have an odd question to ask. I asked this on another forum and I don't think most of the people even knew what I was talking about haha.

I recently had a set of rims get bad curb rash and had them refinished/powder coated a very gorgeous dark bronze. I have been waxing them currently to help protect them but since I hear everywhere to treat them like paint, does that mean i can seal them with no adverse affect?

I was hoping to seal them and then continue to wax them. Currently I unfortunately have to drive a gravel road every day and so they get a bunch of mud rather quickly. I have noticed it is far easier to clean them after waxing as the dirt just washes off with water sprayed on them only. I just was hoping sealing them would help.

Or I am completely open to suggestions. I am looking for any way to help repel dirt and if not really feasible then to protect the wheels while I have to drive this gravel road.

Thanks!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
If they are cleared you should treat them just like modern paint. Make sure you use NON ACIDIC wheel specific soap for one. Nothing will ruin your wheels like the OTC sprays for wheels. As far as sealing/protecting. I started out with Wheel Guard by Chemical Guys- it's actually pretty good. Keeps brake dust down and the shine up. Then I broke them down again, sealed them with JetSeal 109 and then reapplied the wax. HUGE improvement. JetSeal 109 should last you quite a bit. If you want superior protection see if you can get a hold of some OptiGuard. It's supposed to last years instead of just months like JetSeal 109.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
If they are cleared you should treat them just like modern paint. Make sure you use NON ACIDIC wheel specific soap for one. Nothing will ruin your wheels like the OTC sprays for wheels. As far as sealing/protecting. I started out with Wheel Guard by Chemical Guys- it's actually pretty good. Keeps brake dust down and the shine up. Then I broke them down again, sealed them with JetSeal 109 and then reapplied the wax. HUGE improvement. JetSeal 109 should last you quite a bit. If you want superior protection see if you can get a hold of some OptiGuard. It's supposed to last years instead of just months like JetSeal 109.

Ok so i can seal them. I know I need to clean them with a non acidic soap and cleaners and I have been overly cautious since I got them back. The guy who did them for me was dead set on painting them until I chose Bronze then he agreed to powdercoat which is what I wanted. While he did a great job, he seemed clueless on anything other than washing them with a non acidic cleaner. When I mentioned waxing them he gave me a funny look. So i felt lost what to do. Here is a picture of them. They are a clear/Bronze and look a dark gloss black when not in the light and soon as the sun hits them they sparkle like crazy. I'll check out the optiguard then. I don't mind resealing them if I need too, but the less I have to worry about it the better!
20130523_195204_zps18f58324.jpg

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
If you look at Chemical Guys YouTube channel they have a few vids on proper wheel care. Mike Phillips at AutoGeek and the Junkman also have some pretty good vids that provide tips and techniques.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
If you look at Chemical Guys YouTube channel they have a few vids on proper wheel care. Mike Phillips at AutoGeek and the Junkman also have some pretty good vids that provide tips and techniques.

cool thanks man I'll check it out. I was so devastated by having what really was mostly brand new wheels destroyed when some dick in an F-250 ran me off the road into a curb that I didn't really think to look at proper care for them until they were already on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread