Searched... now super confused about all this MT82 stuff, HELP!

VThokie412

Established Member
Ok so I am thinking about picking up a used 2011 Stang GT with the 6mt. I saw some video about the MT82 having issues, so I started researching to find out exactly whats up. The vid was by that guy that I guess got banned everywhere or somethign, so, I was skeptical, but I don't know anything so I tried to read as much as possible. I searched on here and read alot of threads, BUT... To my dismay, I am now super confused. Half the stuff I read seems to say this is being blown out of proportion and can be fixed easy, but the other half seems to think this is a super big deal and there are huge problems. So,

1) Is there actually an issue(s)? If so what is it/are they?
2) Did Ford issue TSBs top fix the problems? I saw a few but I wasnt sure if they were regarding the same things or if they had released one for every issue.
3) Is this something I should be really concerned about?

Does replacing the bracket and shifter with, for example, the Barton setup solve the issues? I really really like this car, have always been a Ford guy, and I am hoping this is something that isn't that big of a deal. If it is as simple as replacing a couple parts and taking the car in to ford for a TSB or 2, I don't mind at all. Can someone shed some light on this for me and eliminate my confusion? Also, for the TSBs, is this something owners have to pay for or does ford fix it for free? Thanks guys for bearing with me on this.

Mika

Established Member
Simply put, most folks are happy with their MT-82, some are unhappy.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nhtsa-investigation-manual-transmissions.html

If you can sift through the BS there, Ford more or less blames user error, and NHTSA says there is a 3% failure rate(meaning the transmission isn't operating as its designed to) on the MT-82's. So its a mix of both, IMHO.

Basically, most folks won't have issues, but some will. A lot of folks seem to be happy with a Barton or MGW shifter and tranny fluid change. There's quite a few bulletins available for certain specific issues. Heck, some folks are happy without even having to touch the shifter or trans. Then again, there are some folks who have traded their 6m for a 6a or another car altogether.

Personally, I had a 1-2 crunch when cold. Had the gear oil changed out of the tranny per TSB, and it took care of it. I know its not a lot of help, but if you really like the car, I say go for it. BUT, be sure to test drive the car WHEN COLD. The issues seem to be worst then. I'll even state the obvious, during that test drive, get the transmission nice and warm too and check all gear shifting then too. CYA is a must. Good luck with it!

Mika

Mika

Established Member
If its a used car I would HIGHLY suggest an OASIS report as well. That way if the car somehow has a voided drivetrain warranty(tune or other mods seen by dealer), then you'll know going into it. There was a guy that recently bought a used GT and the dealer claimed there was a warranty, and when he went to the Ford house he found out that the drivetrain warranty had been denied due to tune or abuse(can't remember exactly how it was). The dealer eventually bought the car back, but only because the customer hired a lawyer. Again, CYA.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/807568-used-5-0-no-warranty.html

Mika

chico_mustangs

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT and I absolutely love my MT82 and wouldn't want anything different. It seems like the majority of problems are with the 2011's. If I was in the market for a used '11 I would take the VIN to Ford to check up on the warranty work it had done and to make sure it still had a warranty. I drove a used '11 and that trans felt great also without whining or any issues.

Last edited:

TTA89

Established Member
I have a 2012 with 1600 miles on it. I think it's notchy when cold and it feels like it wants to grind but it doesn't. Not impressed with the trans cold or hot, it's nosy and not very smooth. The trans in my BMW had 90K on it and was so smooth and quiet I'll probably hate every manual trans going forward....

I'm not thrilled with it but I refuse to buy a Mustang with an automatic, so :shrug:

VThokie412

Established Member
If its a used car I would HIGHLY suggest an OASIS report as well. That way if the car somehow has a voided drivetrain warranty(tune or other mods seen by dealer), then you'll know going into it. There was a guy that recently bought a used GT and the dealer claimed there was a warranty, and when he went to the Ford house he found out that the drivetrain warranty had been denied due to tune or abuse(can't remember exactly how it was). The dealer eventually bought the car back, but only because the customer hired a lawyer. Again, CYA.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/807568-used-5-0-no-warranty.html

Mika

Yea I saw that. The ones I have been looking at are at Ford Dealers, should those ones be ok? Or should I still ask? Also, if the car is CPO is the warranty a non issue or can it still be CPO even with a voided warranty? I take it the OASIS report is something ford would run?

Personally I love Ford. I've heard alot about Ford denying warranty work, such as on the Raptor (if you heard about the bumpstop issue, which may have been resolved at this point), but I tend to give them the benfit of the doubt. I feel like Ford wants its customer's to be satisfied, and I have a hard time believing the stuff I hear making them out like they are out to screw people.

I love the vehicles Ford makes and I will continue to buy them. Hell I would probly buy one of these cars even if the transmission was shit, and replace it with something bulletproof because I like the car so much. Best mustang ever built IMO, have wanted one since they annouced the new 5.0. I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into. I've never had problems with my Fords, Im 23 and I have owned 4, and Ford as well as their dealerships have done me right everytime.

I'm currently driving an 02 F150 with a 4.6 and 250k on the clock, and it has never let me down. Sounds to me like a couple people have issues, many seem to have been caused by poor/abusive drivers (heck, you can drive hard and not abuse it if you know how to drive, which there are alot of people who "think" they are amazing driving a manual but actually blow at it.) Of course there are going to be quirks and flaws with any new vehicle, that's the nature of the beast when you build innovative products.

TTA89, I know what you mean a silky smooth trans will definately spoil you rotten. I had just the opposite, I drove an Acura RSX-S for a while, which I had heavily moddified, and was basically a rocket ship that handled like a gocart, but the trans shifted like it was filled with chunky peanut butter instead of oil and it was in perfect shape. I dont think there is a transmission out there as notchy as the 6sp they put on the k20 engine series, that thing was aweful. I also had a 95 powerstroke with the 5 speed which felt like i was powershifting a semi at redline. I'll probly think its the best shifting trans out there compared to my previous vehicles, haha.

Thanks for the help guys, you confirmed what I was thinking anyway. The new 5.0 rocks.

Last edited:

Grabber2012

Established Member
I almost bought an automatic just cause how strong they are and how fast there running. What made me drive one was the problems I read about the manuals but from what I read most of the problems were in the first run models, I love the mt-82 in my 2012 and I actually like the way the stock shifter shifts and feels. I will eventually swap it for an MGW just cause I like the positive locked-in gear feel there shifters offer.

Mika

Established Member
If you find a 5.0 at a Ford dealer, make sure that its a certified pre-owned(CPO). If its a CPO, all the burden of full factory warranty falls on the dealership. The OASIS report is a national database search that shows when/where the car came into the dealership, and for what issues. IF the powertrain warranty has been voided, it will show up in the OASIS report.

The Raptor bumpstop issue was driver abuse. The drivers were going 80+ in the desert and would ride over a bump and the suspension simply doesn't allow 2 or 3 feet of travel(some pretty absurd amount of travel). So the frames bent due to the abuse.

Mika

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I personally wouldn't worry about the MT82. Everyone I personally know who is good with a stick hasn't had any problems with theirs and a bunch of the tuning houses are putting out some ridiculous numbers without a problem with their's as well.

Is there an issue with these transmissions? Probably. Is it as widespread as some of the "victims" would have you believe? No, I don't think so at all.

When I see some of these yahoos get multiple replacement transmissions and yet are still having the same problem, I have to believe some of this is user error. That, or they're the unluckiest bastards in the world. I'll choose the former.

Ditty

Established Member
3400 miles and my MT-82 is flawless.

I too agree w/ the majority of the above posts. Those having issues are just blowing it out of proportion. Everyone yells "fire" when they see smoke, causing panic, but rarely does someone yet "all is calm" spreading the good word to everyone else.

Are there MT-82s that are defective? YES
Are SOME (most) of those defective trannys due to customer abuse? YES
Is FORD aware of it and care about it? YES
Is FORD going to replace my tranny under warranty after I blow it up making a burn-out video for youtube? Probably Not.

zilla8

Established Member
I have close to 20K on my Job 1 2011 GT with no issues with MT-82

I only upgraded the clutch and shifter because I wanted to and I have a blower :)
I would just test drive the car and see how it shifts and go from there.

I have at least 5 other friends with 2011 cars with no problems with their MT-82

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Mine shifts pretty well but I'm one my second trans due to whining in the first. Now the second trans is doing it but it shifts just fine as well. Idk what to think lol. I also consider my self to drive a manual pretty well so I'm at a loss for words because I took my car on again because of the whining in the new trans and ford is now saying its normal when the first trans was replaced without hesitation.

Falcon Fixer

Established Member
Bad drivers.

If it is bad drivers as you say, why was the first word out of the sales managers mouth "YUK" when he got out of my car?

I brought my car back to the dealer to trade it in with only 600 miles on it.
It would not go into any gear at a random time of its own choosing.
It almost got me killed locking me out of ANY gear.

On top of that there is also a clutch issue that people think is the trans.
Get a car with both, like mine, and people get loud about it.

New clutch, new trans, put together by Americans and the problems vanished.

VThokie412

Established Member
Well, drove a new 2012 and a used 2011. The 12 had leather and thats about it, the 11 had the brembos, 3.73s, red leather, and the glass roof. The 12 was quick, but the 3.31s don't seem to match up well with the manual trans. The 11 tho, with the 3.73s was awesome, i would definately have 3.73s installed if it didnt already have them.

I hated the glass roof though. The shade broke and wouldn't open, and it sagged and touched my head. Just doesn't seem like a well thought out design. If the car didn't have it i probly would have bought it.

I found a new 11 though so I may try and grab that up cuz I can prolly get a good deal. I imagine it would have all the TSBs performed and if not I imagine they would do it if I asked them to. I loved the transmission and clutch, feels great, really easy to drive. Trans is nowhere near as knotchy as my acuras was, but I would still do the MGW shifter.

If I get one new, does anyone know how long I would have to have the powerpack and possibly the handling pack installed from FRPP to keep all my warranties? I remeber reading there was a limited amount of time to do it after purchase. Also, opinions on the procal from FRPP, ive heard mixed reviews. Id do a custom tune but not until after my warranty is up, so, thats my only option i guess.

Hopefully I pick on up here shortly, should have it by the end of the year though.

Reno Five-O

Established Member
19,600 miles 11 5.0 w/barton shifter bracket no issues yet. Impressed with this car only thing I wish ford would have done was diff wheel/tire setup. 245/45/19 is not enough tread currently saving up for some new wheel/tires wanting to put a 315/19 rear 255/19 front :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I have a 2012 with 1600 miles on it. I think it's notchy when cold and it feels like it wants to grind but it doesn't. Not impressed with the trans cold or hot, it's nosy and not very smooth. The trans in my BMW had 90K on it and was so smooth and quiet I'll probably hate every manual trans going forward....

I'm not thrilled with it but I refuse to buy a Mustang with an automatic, so :shrug:

same thought here

+1

I used to complain about my Z's tranny...well it wasnt so bad now

jj6077

Established Member
I bought the 11 gt some time ago and the only problem I had was 1-2 shift crunch. Then about 3 months back I installed the MGW shifter. At first I didnt feel like the shifter was worth the money, but after breaking it in I have absolutely zero problems with the MT82. no more 1-2 crunch and I can really feel the shifts. MGW even sent in a revised rubber boot to replace the one I had problems with (purely cosmetic).

I guess what I am trying to say is that a lot of people complained about the stock shifter and posted various shifting problems. I agree that a few actually have legit problems with the actual transmission, but since my 11 gt is my first manual car, I fell into the mass spread fear of owning a faulty MT82. After driving this car for some time now, I am really glad I went manual instead of auto.

Users who are viewing this thread