Seasonal Question for LEOs

Sandgnat

Established Member
This time of year schools are closed but the school zone warnings and speed restrictions are still up and functioning (far too many of them to reset activation times). Some warnings say "when children present" while others say XX MPH when lights are flashing. Are the reduced speed limits enforced on the latter example when shools are closed for the holidays?

Thanks and be safe over the Holidays.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you see one where the lights are flashing, then you better slow to the speed posted regardless of the holiday.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
When they say "school day", that's what the mean in my neck of the woods. If school is in session, then it's a school day. Days where school it out like Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc, there are no kids, so there is no school and it's not a school day.

On another note: It could be christmas, but if the sign says "When children are present" you have to obey it at well, school day or not. In addition to that, If it's one of those "If Light Flashing" signs and the light is flashing because someone forgot to change it... to bad. You still must obey it.

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
if the sign says "When children are present" you have to obey it at well, school day or not.

The "when children are present" thing can be confusing too.

Does "when children are present" mean that it's OK to do the regular speed limit when you don't actually see any kids around, even though it's a school day?

Are you only required to do the reduced speed if you see kids?

I usually go slow when driving through a school zone regardless if I see kids or not and it seems to piss-off the people behind me.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
NyteByte said:
The "when children are present" thing can be confusing too.

Does "when children are present" mean that it's OK to do the regular speed limit when you don't actually see any kids around, even though it's a school day?

Are you only required to do the reduced speed if you see kids?

I usually go slow when driving through a school zone regardless if I see kids or not and it seems to piss-off the people behind me.

The sign should be taken literally, there is no room for your interpretation. If it says the speed limit is reduced when children are present, if children are present, then the speed limit is reduced. It doesnt say if kids are in school the speed is reduced.

The same with the flashing signs. If the sign says when flashing the speed is reduced, regardless of kids being present, the speed is reduced.

Sandgnat

Established Member
FordSVTFan/Lawfficer, thanks for the replys. Went through one on the "lighted areas" the other day, slowed down, and damn near got rear ended by some clown who was not at all happy about my reducing speed. 45 area and school speed is 25 so it might have come as a shock that someone would actually drop to that speed.

Oh FordSVTFan, you need to watch all that red meat in the diet. Doctors always giving me a hard time about that. Besides, everytime I look at one of your posts, it makes me hungry.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Sandgnat said:
Oh FordSVTFan, you need to watch all that red meat in the diet. Doctors always giving me a hard time about that. Besides, everytime I look at one of your posts, it makes me hungry.

Pshh, i hate when he posts just because I get so jealous of his food! I love red meat. :beer:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Thanks for your concern, I typically only eat red meat twice a week and it is lean red meat. Either way I will take my chances:D

Lawman85

Banned
I work school zone every school day. We don't enforce them when the schools are out on holidays, teacher work days, etc. People hate getting tickets in school zone because they are usually huge (i.e. 50 in 25, etc.). This school year I have written 3 teachers and a principle from another school, all at 20+mph over. They all said "Don't I get a break since I work for the school system?", My answer was always "No, you should know it's a school zone.".

When my unit works a school zone, it's personal, we don't issue any warnings or reduce any speeds. Our only priority is to slow people down so we don't have to work a fatality involving a kid. So the bottom line is, take school zones seriously, and if your unsure about the kids being present, slow down anyway. Just imagine how you would feel running over a 10 year old kid...

Sorry for the rant....

Sandgnat

Established Member
Lawman,
Would not consider that a rant at all. I have an 11 year old son and I hate to think what would go through my mind is someone were to hit him.

03CobraDude

Sandgnat said:
Lawman,
Would not consider that a rant at all. I have an 11 year old son and I hate to think what would go through my mind is someone were to hit him.

I agree, even though I'm the one who has to walk through the school zone. I wouldn't consider that a rant. It's fact.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
If you come to Vegas I wil say this. DON'T SPEED IN A SCHOOL ZONE. Big AZZ fine like $400-$600. And the school zones out here are mostly 15 mph. Some of them are in a normaly 35+ speed zone.

I get people who fly by me in these all the time. Giving me the dirty look. I love it when I see them pulled over a 1/2 block up.

Like Lawman said. Just think of how bad you would feel hitting anyone let alone a child.

VPF

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
I work school zone every school day. We don't enforce them when the schools are out on holidays, teacher work days, etc. People hate getting tickets in school zone because they are usually huge (i.e. 50 in 25, etc.). This school year I have written 3 teachers and a principle from another school, all at 20+mph over. They all said "Don't I get a break since I work for the school system?", My answer was always "No, you should know it's a school zone.".

When my unit works a school zone, it's personal, we don't issue any warnings or reduce any speeds. Our only priority is to slow people down so we don't have to work a fatality involving a kid. So the bottom line is, take school zones seriously, and if your unsure about the kids being present, slow down anyway. Just imagine how you would feel running over a 10 year old kid...

Sorry for the rant....

This is one of the few thing I take personal as a Cop..... While on FTO I worked a fatal hit and run in a crosswalk for two kids headed to school (Elem)... hit by two kids headed to school (HS) because of the speeds... they charged the driver with Manslaughter (and he was convicted) and his friend as an accomplice (and was convicted).

When in doubt... slow down!

Users who are viewing this thread