Seat Difficulties

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I got 2004 seat foam for my 95 front seats and then had an upholsterer do both the fronts and the back seats. I had them done in a pleather stuff since the leather is so hard to keep nice.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Great posts! Thanks gentlemen!..CJ Pony has vinyl front bucket kits for 340 bucks …..time to use some 4 letter words!

For the GT? Just FYI you will require the foams too when doing them on a 94-98 car. And even 99-04 cars should probably get new foams...

I'd still at least get the Bullitt/01 Cobra covers vs the GT if only for looks and better bolstering. But its up to you. The Bullitt style actual LEATHER covers are like half off right now for $550. Hard to beat that. But its an extra $200 and its easy for me to spend someone else's money.

You will need upholstery glue (spray can), the CJP hog ring pliers with rings kit, a good ass set of mechanic's gloves unless you like blisters and a bunch of plastic grocery bags. Yes grocery bags. You will never get the front seatbacks or headrest covers on without them. You will not need them for the front seat bottom.

That will bring your total to about $700 if you can use the 5% coupon still with these sales. Still way cheaper than probably any other option although at that price you might want to look at their modified sport seats that use the stock frames but are way better than the GT seats.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-uph...h-seat-foam-hi-back-black-1999-2004/p/U109-V/

Last edited:

NJCobra96

Established Member
For the GT? Just FYI you will require the foams too when doing them on a 94-98 car. And even 99-04 cars should probably get new foams...

I'd still at least get the Bullitt/01 Cobra covers vs the GT if only for looks and better bolstering. But its up to you. The Bullitt style actual LEATHER covers are like half off right now for $550. Hard to beat that. But its an extra $200 and its easy for me to spend someone else's money.

You will need upholstery glue (spray can), the CJP hog ring pliers with rings kit, a good ass set of mechanic's gloves unless you like blisters and a bunch of plastic grocery bags. Yes grocery bags. You will never get the front seatbacks or headrest covers on without them. You will not need them for the front seat bottom.

That will bring your total to about $700 if you can use the 5% coupon still with these sales. Still way cheaper than probably any other option although at that price you might want to look at their modified sport seats that use the stock frames but are way better than the GT seats.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-uph...h-seat-foam-hi-back-black-1999-2004/p/U109-V/
I have a 96 Cobra with the saddle color leather, and am going to keep it as original as possible, minus the leather inserts (too pricy for a garage queen). CJ Pony has some vinyl kits from TMI on sale for 341 bucks that apparently you can't tell the difference between leather or vinyl . TMI also has a video for installation. It doesn't state that glue needs to be used with their products, but patience and a steam gun are needed. Thanks for the advise!

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Glue required if you do the back seats. Not the fronts. Their vinyl is as good as the oem leather, I had it. It is not as good as their TMI leather tho.

Those pics I posted are of my car that I did and vinyl. I'm not info recycling from someone else. Lmk if you have any questions. It's actually pretty straightforward. They should have a step by step PDF as well that you can print.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

NJCobra96

Established Member
Glue required if you do the back seats. Not the fronts. Their vinyl is as good as the oem leather, I had it. It is not as good as their TMI leather tho.

Those pics I posted are of my car that I did and vinyl. I'm not info recycling from someone else. Lmk if you have any questions. It's actually pretty straightforward. They should have a step by step PDF as well that you can print.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
My back seat is like new...the leather is pricy, and I would go that way if it was my daily. I drive it on nice days, usually 2-3 days/week. Your seats look great, and that's more than good for me.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
If the car is a garage queen , leather will last a very long time .
Saddle soap keeps it hydrated , soft and supple .your car , I won't tell you what you should do .

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I've been told by multiple ppl if you are going to go through all the trouble I should have done leather on my old 98 but... yeah its a LOT of money. Maybe for the all leather seats but for the ones where its mostly unisuede or alacantra in the front its hard to justify.

Users who are viewing this thread