Seat wear

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I have some early stages of the wrinkles on the bolsters, and seams and was hoping to give them the best life going forward, but also want to darken any areas, especially one seam that needs to be colored in a bit(charcoal interior).....is some shoe polish or a sharpie gonna do this ok and then start treating them with some quality protectant.....or is there a product made for this?

Imatk

Established Member
The most important thing to do with your leather is to KEEP IT CLEAN.

Most people think their leather seats wear because of the sun or some other reason, but it's mostly because of dirt. Dirt on your pants when you slide in and out of the car and dirt embedded in the leather that builds up and causes those cracks to get deeper and deeper.

The first thing I would suggest is to get a good leather cleaner. I use Leathermaster Strong Cleaner. After the initial cleaning you can cut it 50/50 with water and it will be just like their mild cleaner and can be used on a regular basis.

Get a leather brush or "nail" brush to use with your cleaner and a sponge. The brush will help get out all of that imbedded dirt. Don't scrub hard with the brush, just use it with a decent pressure to break loose any dirt.

Then use your sponge to finish up the cleaning and a white (make sure it's white) cloth to wipe up. The white will allow you to see when the seats are actually clean. (You'll probably go through a couple or more if you haven't cleaned them before)

After you clean it your cracks, depending on how deep they are, might either be completely gone, or will at the very least be less severe.

Then use a leather protectant to finish up, but don't lather it all over the seat. Just use enough to coat the seat.

This is another thing people do that is a mistake is they put waaay too much protectant on their seats and all it serves is to trap more dirt.

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
This
The most important thing to do with your leather is to KEEP IT CLEAN.

Most people think their leather seats wear because of the sun or some other reason, but it's mostly because of dirt. Dirt on your pants when you slide in and out of the car and dirt embedded in the leather that builds up and causes those cracks to get deeper and deeper.

The first thing I would suggest is to get a good leather cleaner. I use Leathermaster Strong Cleaner. After the initial cleaning you can cut it 50/50 with water and it will be just like their mild cleaner and can be used on a regular basis.

Get a leather brush or "nail" brush to use with your cleaner and a sponge. The brush will help get out all of that imbedded dirt. Don't scrub hard with the brush, just use it with a decent pressure to break loose any dirt.

Then use your sponge to finish up the cleaning and a white (make sure it's white) cloth to wipe up. The white will allow you to see when the seats are actually clean. (You'll probably go through a couple or more if you haven't cleaned them before)

After you clean it your cracks, depending on how deep they are, might either be completely gone, or will at the very least be less severe.

Then use a leather protectant to finish up, but don't lather it all over the seat. Just use enough to coat the seat.

This is another thing people do that is a mistake is they put waaay too much protectant on their seats and all it serves is to trap more dirt.

Are you using a brush used for cleaning leather shoes? I use Blue magic leather cleaner and conditioner every other week but I never tried a brush.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As important it is to keep the leather clean, it's equally, if not more important to keep them conditioned.

Leather was once the skin of an animal, and like our skin, it will dry up and look weathered when not moisturized. Not the best analogy, but you get the idea. Leather needs to be nourished and by feeding the leather with moisturizers you'll prevent it from drying, cracking or showing any signs of wear.

With that being said, leather will eventually lose to the test of time. Usually, the bolsters are the firsts to show wear. As long as you maintain the leather, you get the longevity that you're looking for.

To make things easy, some companies combine cleaning and conditioning power in one bottle. We actually stock it.

Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 16 fl oz [PIN-430] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

PIN-430_MED.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions, if you want to give the Pinnacle Cleaner/Conditioner a try, give me a call and take advantage of your forum discount.

John

Imatk

Established Member
This

Are you using a brush used for cleaning leather shoes? I use Blue magic leather cleaner and conditioner every other week but I never tried a brush.

I use a simple brush like this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Magnolia-Brush-Vinyl-Leather-Scrub/dp/B0002U26OG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329156912&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush: Automotive[/ame]

Only use it to break up the dirt, don't "scrub" with it. Just use it to loosen dirt out of the crevices.

Also if your leather has already lost it's coating then it's kind of a lost cause and a brush and or cleaning will only make it worse.

Imatk

Established Member
Ahh, yeah I'm not sure about that stuff. That sucks that it's wearing away faster than your regular leather.

Do you have a 2010 GT500 or is it some other custom seat?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My fear with some of these cleaners and stuff is that I have the Mystichrome nd am scared to death of the cleaner taking off the color.

Imatk

Established Member
My fear with some of these cleaners and stuff is that I have the Mystichrome nd am scared to death of the cleaner taking off the color.

Yeah you should definitely test it on an inconspicuous area maybe beneath the seat just to make sure it doesn't do that.

I'm guessing that the color is underneath the typical leather coating that comes on seats, but I don't know so definitely test it first.

dom418

Established Member
I'm a little nuts but I always have a towel under my ass when I drive and I never wear jeans, only jogging pants or mesh shorts. I hate wearing jeans with alcantera because my ass sticks to the seat.

I also use pinnacle leather conditioner. Our seats have a bad design so eventually they are going to wear and by that time their will be aftermarket replacements that should be better than the originals I hope.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Does throwing a towel on the seat when u drive help? I've heard someone say only clean when needed and condition often. How often is too often? My car is a convertible also, so leather sees a lot of direct sunlight in summer.

Imatk

Established Member
Does throwing a towel on the seat when u drive help? I've heard someone say only clean when needed and condition often. How often is too often? My car is a convertible also, so leather sees a lot of direct sunlight in summer.

I guess if you wanted to leave a clean towel on your seat you could, and it would help with dirt accumulation... but to me this would be akin to old people putting plastic on their sofas. Yeah it'll last longer, but then what would be the point of having a nice surface to sit on?

I mean at that point, just swap your seats for cloth seats and be done with it.

Cloth will certainly last much longer than leather will when it comes to seats. (Well that's if it's good quality cloth)

As for the "cleaning only when necessary".... I would disagree with that advice to a degree.

You should only clean when "necessary" I suppose, but unless you have a lighter colored leather, it's difficult, to impossible to be able to tell when cleaning is "necessary."

I have black leather seats and I clean them once a week with a simple spray bottle full of water and a white cloth. And you would be amazed how much dirt can accumulate in only a week.

I clean the seats usually once a month or so with the actual leather cleaner that I use (Leathermaster) and I use a brush and clean that way.

IMO it's more important to keep your leather clean than it is to "condition" it. Yes the sun will degrade your leather, but on your seats it's VERY unlikely to degrade it more than your beehind sliding dirt in and out on a day to day basis.... this can be seen with the typical wear that happens on leather seats (side bolsters and lower side edges usually wear first).

If you have a convertible and have the top down a lot then you'll need to condition more often because of direct sunlight exposure.

I condition my leather when I clean with my leather cleaner (about once a month or so).

Last edited:

five 0 ninja

Established Member
I guess if you wanted to leave a clean towel on your seat you could, and it would help with dirt accumulation... but to me this would be akin to old people putting plastic on their sofas. Yeah it'll last longer, but then what would be the point of having a nice surface to sit on?

I mean at that point, just swap your seats for cloth seats and be done with it.

Cloth will certainly last much longer than leather will when it comes to seats. (Well that's if it's good quality cloth)

As for the "cleaning only when necessary".... I would disagree with that advice to a degree.

You should only clean when "necessary" I suppose, but unless you have a lighter colored leather, it's difficult, to impossible to be able to tell when cleaning is "necessary."

I have black leather seats and I clean them once a week with a simple spray bottle full of water and a white cloth. And you would be amazed how much dirt can accumulate in only a week.

I clean the seats usually once a month or so with the actual leather cleaner that I use (Leathermaster) and I use a brush and clean that way.

IMO it's more important to keep your leather clean than it is to "condition" it. Yes the sun will degrade your leather, but on your seats it's VERY unlikely to degrade it more than your beehind sliding dirt in and out on a day to day basis.... this can be seen with the typical wear that happens on leather seats (side bolsters and lower side edges usually wear first).

If you have a convertible and have the top down a lot then you'll need to condition more often because of direct sunlight exposure.

I condition my leather when I clean with my leather cleaner (about once a month or so).

Thanks, some good points. And lmao at the plastic on sofa comment. I wouldn't mind it while driving but at a show with top down (when I should have them covered) I think it looks dumb. I just really can't stand the way leather looks when it gets worn and cracked looking. I get sick just thinking my seats will look like that. Haha

And my seats are very dark also so I know what you mean about not seeing the dirt. I like your idea of every week cleaning with water and towel and once a month with cleaner. I will probably condition more regularly though as I stated seats see a lot of direct sunlight. Not sure on the brush though, that seems like it would be kind of abrasive on the leather? What type of brush?

Imatk

Established Member
Thanks, some good points. And lmao at the plastic on sofa comment. I wouldn't mind it while driving but at a show with top down (when I should have them covered) I think it looks dumb. I just really can't stand the way leather looks when it gets worn and cracked looking. I get sick just thinking my seats will look like that. Haha

And my seats are very dark also so I know what you mean about not seeing the dirt. I like your idea of every week cleaning with water and towel and once a month with cleaner. I will probably condition more regularly though as I stated seats see a lot of direct sunlight. Not sure on the brush though, that seems like it would be kind of abrasive on the leather? What type of brush?

This is the brush I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnolia-Brush-Vinyl-Leather-Scrub/dp/B0002U26OG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329156912&sr=8-2]Amazon.com&tag=5336653599-20

And you don't "scrub" it really, you just use it to gently lift the dirt out of the crevices of your leather.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Anybody use Lexol? Ive been reading some good things about it on other sites and it's pretty cheap compared to other brands and seems to be easier to find then some others at local stores.

Users who are viewing this thread