seatbelt ticket

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Last year in novemember i got a seatbelt ticket from one of the local town cops... when he pulled me over and gave me the ticket he asked me if i new a certain cop that worked in the same department and i told him yes and he said to plead not guilty and he could work something out so the ticket would get dropped ... well after a while nothing came in the mail so i thoght the ticket got dropped... finally 11 months go bye and i get the ticket in the mail now i have a court date for november 17 th.... my question is there a certain length of time that they have to prosecute me on this ticket or can they take as long as they need.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
In New York the right to speedy trial does apply to traffic violations. However there is no set time since:
the court must consider the following factors: (1) the extent of the delay; (2) the reason for the delay; (3) the nature of the underlying charge; (4) whether or not there has been an extended period of pretrial incarceration; and (5) whether or not there is any indication that the defense has been impaired by reason of the delay

Eleven months will not cut it, in the reported cases most violations that have been dismissed for this reason were at least two years old. The problem is common and getting worse, for example Nassau County TVPB is currently about 18-24 months behind. The reason, lack of personal and budget cuts. Is this an acceptable reason for the delay :shrug: A practical problem is that the cost of an attorney to file the motion to dismiss, may exceed the cost of the ticket, especially if it can be plea bargained.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Hopin it just gets plea bargain down cause he said he would cut me a brake but i guess we shall see... thanks for the info guys

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Here its two years. Its a wonder they sent you a notice, after approximately forty days you will have an invitation to visit the local jail facilities.

cody_288

Established Member
I got one in Jamestown NY in August, sent it in that promptly and still have yet to hear a thing.

I also plead guilty.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Umm, what would you plea down to from a seatbelt ticket?

I have gotten a seat belt ticket a couple years back and the judge gave me a probation period i think it was like 2 months long... as long as i didnt get any other types of traffic violations then the ticket would be dismissed and i wouldnt have to pay anything

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I have gotten a seat belt ticket a couple years back and the judge gave me a probation period i think it was like 2 months long... as long as i didnt get any other types of traffic violations then the ticket would be dismissed and i wouldnt have to pay anything

I guess it depends on which state one gets the ticket in. In Arizona, for example, it is ~$10 for the offense.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
I guess it depends on which state one gets the ticket in. In Arizona, for example, it is ~$10 for the offense.
It also depends on where in the state you get caught. There is a huge disparity on how violations are handled from local jurisdiction to local jurisdiction. In more than a few localities (particularly outside metro NYC) a speeding ticket is knocked down to a very expensive parking ticket. Why......... because fines from moving violations are shared with the State, while parking fines are not.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
the ticket was a little stupid... i took my seatbelt off before pulling into my development and didnt realize the cop was sitting there and he pulled me over in front of my house and gave me a ticket.... but in the end its my fault and i shoulda left it on... i would like to get out of the ticket cause its gonna cost me $135 so i would rather no pay it

Users who are viewing this thread