Seatbelts suck!!!

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
On both of my 2001 mustangs (cobra and 6 cyl Coupes) I have always had a problem with the seatbelts getting caught up in the swivel thing behind my seat... It seems like the angle that the swivel thing is set at makes it prone to folding the belt in half inside the small slot on that swivel thing.. Any suggestions for anything that works.. It's not an unliveable detail about the cars but it's kinda a PITA especailly if there was something i could do about it.

PS. Sorry for calling it the "swivel thing" the whole time i don't know the name for it.. I'm sure that you all know what peice im talking about it's the plastic peice single bolted to the piller behind the seat so it swivels and keeps the tension on the belt when you pull it forward.

cobrob

all natural poster
Established Member
I know both sides of mine do it too, I just gave up on them and let em flop around. Maybe ford came out with an update?

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I believe you can take them off. Another problem i've run into with my drivers seat belt is it doesnt want to recoil all the time, anyone else get that?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Odd. I never had a problem with any of my 3 mustangs. Perhaps it's because I'm a shorter guy and seat position was forward slightly?

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
yeah the none recoiling thing is another aspect of it ... it's how the belt gets tangled up before it hits the swivel... I even thought of taking out the belts and like starch ironing them so they aren't so floppy but i duuno if that would feel very nice on your neck

cSoVbTr0a1

Established Member
my belts dont recoil either. had some warrenty work done on my car and i listed that as one of the problems, they claimed they put new belts and mechanisims in but i dunno they dont recoil either.

snakebite72

Established Member
i have an 01 cobra and the seat belt is such a pain in the #@$@! sometimes i dont even wear the dam thing.if you guys know the torx # for the lower bolt let me know,ill take it off and try to fix it.i try to turn it around back and forth but its allways tangled up. AAAAAHHHHHHH! ! ! !

slim one

Established Member
Mine dont recoil and for some reason in cold weather are hard to coil, meaning putting them on.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Just watch, when they dont recoil sometimes they sit where the door shuts, and if u shut the door somewhat hard itll bounce and sound like u broke something...i know from experience. Didnt hurt anything tho, but just watchout if it doesnt recoil, dont leave it dangling there by the bottom of the door, i usually just put the seat belt on the seat. theres usually only a small portion that doesnt recoil tho.

CobraKalas

Established Member
yea my driver side recoil is slower than normal or slower than it should be. and either my passenger one is folded, has something stuck in it, or is retarded because i was messin with it one day gettin a fold out of behind the circle piece attatched to the seat headrest and the "swivel thing" and it locked up on me. i would also like to know the special ford tool for removing that bolt at the bottom. otherwise could cost me $106 from FORD

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
uh... race seats/ 5 point harnesses DUH!!!!! lol I have had that same problem in both of my cobras. Its just another ford flaw. I <3 my Corbeau 5 point harnesses now.

YELOSNK

Established Member
There is a TSB on that shit. If you pay ~$50 you can get a set of teflon things that you have to put in certain spots in the mechanism, ect., and it will work much smoother. I almost did, but then I got cheap/lazy.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! I HATE this about my Cobra! My brother has an 06 6 cylinder and his are so much nicer. I need more info on the teflon! My do it even worse if it's humid outside.

99 svtcobra

Yea mine pretty much do the same thing.. I called the ford company and they told me that they have already changed my seat belts. I doubt that. So i took off the swivel thing and i felt it made it worse. Would also like to know more about the teflon thing...

cobrafan

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Both my seatbelts had retraction issues and the passenger side jammed and had to be replaced. The dealer inserted teflon strips around the bar in the swivel and it's been much better since.

Users who are viewing this thread