second gear acceleration

DR.D

Established Member
In second gear, usually during when it does a WOT+- some pedal downshift, the truck poops and scoots but has a surge after about a secong like 4 barrel vacuum secondaries opening. From a stop it doesn't do this, only from a fast roll - about 45-55. Is this normal? For clarity, just in case I missed the first time, when driving about 50mph, when you step on it enough to shift down, it will go but after about a secong it goes even more like 4 barrel secondaries opening. ????
BTW, I had 69 and 71 340s, a 91 5.0 LX, and a 93 Lighting, but this 01 just screams compared to those. Awful fast for a brick on wheels. Black brick.

Last edited:

DR.D

Established Member
WTH??

LightninRod---'xplain or point me to the link. I mean I understand but more detail, please.
Thanks

Also, I believe it's going down to 2nd when it does this, but it's probably the same thing.

Last edited:

Chainsaw13

Established Member
I think what LightningRod was referring to was the 4 cylinder drop off during the 1-2 shift at WOT. Stock, the gen2's have that programmed in. It can be removed with an aftermarket chip, or left in if you prefer. I believe it was done to save the trans.

I think I've experienced what you're talking about with the sudden boost. Not sure why it does that either.

Bob

DR.D

Established Member
Thanks

Thanks guys. Something else- I got the impression that some extra crankcase ventilation was needed with engine mods(chip, filter) but I was told today that there is already ventilation and the oil breather was not needed. I'm not going to stir any kaka and say who said this but being new to the gen2 L and knowing zero about the 5.4 engine and sure would like some clarification here. I was told by a person that should know. Help me, the unknowing.

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by DR.D
Thanks guys. Something else- I got the impression that some extra crankcase ventilation was needed with engine mods(chip, filter) but I was told today that there is already ventilation and the oil breather was not needed. I'm not going to stir any kaka and say who said this but being new to the gen2 L and knowing zero about the 5.4 engine and sure would like some clarification here. I was told by a person that should know. Help me, the unknowing.

Yes, there are differing opinions about the oil breather cap. I kept reding about it and the possible oil pollution of my intake tract and finally decided to get a breather(and properly tuned chip). I put the breather on at the smae time as my throttle body---checking the intake/ th. plates for oil. The plenum was free of oil but the plates were oil-stained. Sure didn't hurt my dyno test either... Dan

JR

Established Member
I believe Incon 306 is correct.
A mechanic from N.C. posted somewhere on here,
that the hesitation on the 2001 L was the
torque converter locking up.
J.R.

DR.D

Established Member
Thanks

Sounds to me like the breather is in response to another Ford mistake and it's not required but a damn good idea. Torque converter lockup? Boy, do I need to get re-educated on vehicles. They sure are a lot more complicated than a Zoom clutch and Holley 800 double pumper on a Tarantula manifold. I guess these forums are something I need.

MYREDTOY

Established Member
I also beleive you are feeling the T/C locking and unlocking. I feel the same thing. Do not feel it as much with chip but it is still there under some conditions.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread