Security System Experts!

Chopin

Seeker of Truth
Established Member
I'm looking to equip my home with a security/surveillance system. In particular, I want to have numerous cameras for inside and outside and something that makes it easy to record and view the images later on a monitor if I need to. Audio would be nice too.

I need cameras that have good resolution. I don’t want to just be able to see that someone was in my garage stealing something, I want to be able to see WHO it was! Likewise, I don’t want to have endless hours of footage to store and look thru either.

I have been told that the older cameras used to be motion activated, but that now it’s even more sophisticated in that the system is constantly recording but doesn’t save the footage beyond a certain time unless something was going on, which it detects by some type of pixel change detection software.

There may also be other nice features I would like that I’m not aware of. Tell me what they are!

Anyone here have experience and/or good knowledge of the latest technologies in this area?

Thanks for time!

Saleen00_227

Established Member
Build your own PC or buy a dedicated one and buy a capture card for as many camera's as you like. The programs that come with the cards have many options as far as making it record at certain times of the day, only recording when motion is sensed, etc. Also, its very easy to go back and view video. Depending on the size of hard drive you put in, it can record weeks and maybe months if you have the space.

Don't wanna go into too much detail since im at work but this is the cards I use at my business and at home. Ill link you to where i bought the card but you can probably find them cheaper.

This is the card i use. I don't know how many cameras you wanna run but they have many choices. I have the 8 camera setup. i use two cards for 16 cameras total. i didn't get the 16 channel card because if it does mess up that card is expensive.

Pro Grade DVRs :: DVR Cards & Software :: EZWatch Pro - Video Surveillance Camera Store

If you wanna look elsewhere for the card, they don't state what card it is, but its made by NUUO and the card is SCB-5000 series.

I found a link with the 8 camera setup at a cheaper price. SCB-5008-Digital Video Recorder

As far as cameras go, any 420TVL camera will do. The card is the most important part. But of course a great camera will make it an even better combo. Be prepared to pay some good money for a good setup.

Chopin

Seeker of Truth
Established Member
Build your own PC or buy a dedicated one and buy a capture card for as many camera's as you like. The programs that come with the cards have many options as far as making it record at certain times of the day, only recording when motion is sensed, etc. Also, its very easy to go back and view video. Depending on the size of hard drive you put in, it can record weeks and maybe months if you have the space.

Don't wanna go into too much detail since im at work but this is the cards I use at my business and at home. Ill link you to where i bought the card but you can probably find them cheaper.

This is the card i use. I don't know how many cameras you wanna run but they have many choices. I have the 8 camera setup. i use two cards for 16 cameras total. i didn't get the 16 channel card because if it does mess up that card is expensive.

Pro Grade DVRs :: DVR Cards & Software :: EZWatch Pro - Video Surveillance Camera Store

If you wanna look elsewhere for the card, they don't state what card it is, but its made by NUUO and the card is SCB-5000 series.

I found a link with the 8 camera setup at a cheaper price. SCB-5008-Digital Video Recorder

As far as cameras go, any 420TVL camera will do. The card is the most important part. But of course a great camera will make it an even better combo. Be prepared to pay some good money for a good setup.

Tnanks for your help!

So you would recommend me building a system as opposed to buying an "Off the shelf" system?

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Tnanks for your help!

So you would recommend me building a system as opposed to buying an "Off the shelf" system?

Just buy a security camera DVR. They are designed to do what you want. Way cheaper and easier than building a computer.

Vitek, Nuvico, Dedicated Micros are some good brands. Vitek is the cheapest all the way up to Dedicated Micros being the top of the line.

The DVRs can be set up to run 24hrs a day or on motion only. So with motion only it will log the event of motion and record just that.
The DVRs are internet ready usually just using port 80 on your internet router.

As far as cameras- How far do you want to see at night? Do you have external lighting?
The best cameras by far are the box cameras that require a housing. But the price market has shifted most people to buying IR equipped cameras.

Be prepared to spend some money on a GOOD system.

I will send you a PM with more info and my contact info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread