Seized parking brake. Help?

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
So when unloading my car from the trailer after picking it up at my tuner, we realized my parking is now seized. The handle feels totally loose until about halfway up, then just feels flimsy but locked up. Pulled the driver's side wheel off and found the piece attached to the spring being in the locked position even with the parking brake down.

It's only on the driver's side, and I pried it open and then soaked the whole mechanism in PB blaster and tried to loosen it up by yanking up and down on the handle to no avail. What should my next step be?

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
You'll need to take it apart and see which piece is binding. If you open the mechanism, then you can hopefully remove the cable from the caliper. Check to see if the cable moves freely. Then I would remove the caliper from the mounting bracket. Check the pins and seals on the caliper. If the cable is okay, and the pins are clean and look good - then the caliper is most likely bad. I would call Steve at Tousley to see about a new one.

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
I hope the caliper's not bad, as I just replaced it about a month ago. Thanks for the insight.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You'll need to take it apart and see which piece is binding. If you open the mechanism, then you can hopefully remove the cable from the caliper. Check to see if the cable moves freely. Then I would remove the caliper from the mounting bracket. Check the pins and seals on the caliper. If the cable is okay, and the pins are clean and look good - then the caliper is most likely bad. I would call Steve at Tousley to see about a new one.

Also try screwing the piston in(they don`t just compress)to see if you have movement.

Users who are viewing this thread