Self employed folks; healthcare?

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Hi guys, Obamacare wants to jack my healthcare from $2K to about $3500 a month.

Family of 4, 2 kids under 10. Virginia.

What have you guys come up with ?

Thanks!

Mike

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I'd leap frog Obamacare and called up Blue cross or one of the major providers in your state to see if you can get on a plan that way. Obamacare stipulations makes it wayyy more expensive from what I've found.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Looks like all rates have gone up. I finally had enough & will not have insurance for 2018. It's just me, not self-employed, and they wanted to raise my monthly to $400+

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I can run quotes at blue cross’s NC website (bcbsnc.com). It only asks your county and ages of the family. You can see all the available plans so you can compare costs. It will even estimate the government subsidy based on the annual income figure you input.

Last edited:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I can run quotes at blue cross’s NC website (bcbsnc.cm). It only asks your county and ages of the family. You can see all the available plans so you can compare costs. It will even estimate the government subsidy based on the annual income figure you input.

Thanks, looking there now. I like BC, and on the website for Virginia, they're within $40/month of Obamacare. Will probably go direct with them so Obamacare doesn't get that $40. Best I've found is $2259.

Correct numbers are 2017: $1,578
2018: $2,853...

Thinking about what N_E wrote (post 7) but the penalty is close to the premium, or significantly close to it.

upload_2017-12-8_10-27-43.png

They deeply regret the steep increase.^^^

I did write "Thanks Obama" on most of the checks I sent in.

Maybe that was a mistake.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Hi guys, Obamacare wants to jack my healthcare from $2K to about $3500 a month.

Family of 4, 2 kids under 10. Virginia.

What have you guys come up with ?

Thanks!

Mike

Welcome to the club. We are looking at going to a healthshare for next year.

I'd leap frog Obamacare and called up Blue cross or one of the major providers in your state to see if you can get on a plan that way. Obamacare stipulations makes it wayyy more expensive from what I've found.

"The marketplace" is just a pass through where you can pick up subsidized healthcare if you qualify for it. Otherwise the prices you see on the marketplace are the same as what you see going straight to the provider

Ive been looking into medishare

Sent from LG G5

Certainly seems like the best option from where I sit

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I would drop to the lowest plan possible. I am on the lowest BCBS Bronze plan available here and it's now about $1500 a month, just under $15k family deductible. The thing is, you can pay now or pay later. Is it really worth $3500 a month for the silver given the benefits you get? It's just a matter of assessing your odds of actually using the plan, which I know is difficult given the kids. We have 3 and truly that's really the only reason we keep it.

I think this year I'm just going to wander around the hood until someone shoots me so I can get my money's worth. Otherwise you're just throwing $20k a year down the drain.

Blown 89

Established Member
If you're self employed you should be able to write your healthcare off at the end of the year. Other than that I'd say shop around and find the cheapest plan and run with it.

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
I don’t understand the confusion all that’s needed is Med. parts A & B ... I was in a Manhattan hospital from Xmas to May, all said and done 2 million dollars in bills, all paid but 7000.

I KICKED CANCERS ASS !
I

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
If your self employed your accountant will pay into Med. account each year

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you're self employed you should be able to write your healthcare off at the end of the year. Other than that I'd say shop around and find the cheapest plan and run with it.

That helps a little, but paying $2,000+ in premiums every month still stings.

Blown 89

Established Member
That helps a little, but paying $2,000+ in premiums every month still stings.
I get it. I was ecstatic when I went on my wife's insurance. My employees did the same and it freed up a lot of money every month to reinvest and make everyone more money.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Thanks, looking there now. I like BC, and on the website for Virginia, they're within $40/month of Obamacare. Will probably go direct with them so Obamacare doesn't get that $40. Best I've found is $2259.

Correct numbers are 2017: $1,578
2018: $2,853...

Thinking about what N_E wrote (post 7) but the penalty is close to the premium, or significantly close to it.

They deeply regret the steep increase.^^^

I did write "Thanks Obama" on most of the checks I sent in.

Maybe that was a mistake.
LOL @ what you wrote on the checks.
Doesn't the new tax bill that just passed remove the Obamacare mandate &, in turn, remove the yearly penalty for not having insurance?

Never_Enough

Established Member
I don’t understand the confusion all that’s needed is Med. parts A & B ... I was in a Manhattan hospital from Xmas to May, all said and done 2 million dollars in bills, all paid but 7000.

I KICKED CANCERS ASS !
I

2 mil. Jesus. Glad you beat it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread