Sell me on the Flex L3403

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Hey guys,

I've got a Porter Cable 7424xp that I've had for about 2 years. I've got a fair amount of paint correction to do (swirling and light scratches) since the previous owner probably dried the car with bath towels :nonono: I plan on picking up some new 6.5" pads and some M105 and M205 if not some Wolfgangs Swirl Remover. Anyway, I've wondered what the next step up of from my PC would be and I see a lot of guys out there using the Flex polishers.

So what am I missing out on? What makes it so much better than my PC? I'm not a pro by any means so I like that fact that the PC lets me play it safe and not burn through my clear coat. Now, I have a little more common sense than to over work an area too long without letting it cool down a bit but, the PC give me peace of mind.

MattZ28

Established Member
The L3403 is a high speed rotary. If you're not experienced with one, you will most likely burn a few edges during the "learning" process.

What you should be looking at is the XC3401 VRG. This is still a dual action with an oscillating motion like your Porter Cable, but also has a forced rotation like the L3403. However, the forced rotation is not fast enough to cause any worry in terms of paint damage. You'll get much more torque and power, with better overall correcting ability than the 7424XP with this machine. Less vibration, much better overall build quality, integrated backing plate design, a better power cord, and a variable speed trigger are some of the other "nicer" qualities that the XC3401 VRG offers.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/ca...bital-polisher-dual-action-rotary-buffer.html

Feel free to give me a call here at 877-253-8425 and I'll be glad to assist you and discuss things further.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Matt is talking about the right one...but dont get it. I hate the Flex VRG. The biggest down fall too it, is its forced rotation...but counter clockwise rotation. Its a bitch to get use to and generally will cause the buffer to walk some in certain directions. I would just recommend the Griots. its a prefect machine that will yield great results for weekend warriors.

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
I have the L3403 and I love it.
I would get some panels or a hood from a junk yard to practice on first before doing your car. I still have my PC 7424 to do clean up behind the L3403. The L 3403 is not that hard to use just remember to keep it moving and don't go above speed 3 with it.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Matt is talking about the right one...but dont get it. I hate the Flex VRG. The biggest down fall too it, is its forced rotation...but counter clockwise rotation. Its a bitch to get use to and generally will cause the buffer to walk some in certain directions.

hmm, interesting on that rotation. is the 3403 rotary also counter? I've been considering stepping up to a rotary, and this 3403 was in the mix, but not if it's counter. thats crazy. too bad, because I liked the lighter weight versus the makita and dewalt

any suggestions for entry level rotary?

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Matt is talking about the right one...but dont get it. I hate the Flex VRG. The biggest down fall too it, is its forced rotation...but counter clockwise rotation. Its a bitch to get use to and generally will cause the buffer to walk some in certain directions. I would just recommend the Griots. its a prefect machine that will yield great results for weekend warriors.

I read the spec on it and it seems like it spins a little faster than my PC. Is it really that much of an upgrade? I could always sell my PC and just pay the difference out of pocket I guess.

I have the L3403 and I love it.
I would get some panels or a hood from a junk yard to practice on first before doing your car. I still have my PC 7424 to do clean up behind the L3403. The L 3403 is not that hard to use just remember to keep it moving and don't go above speed 3 with it.

Sounds like the time I would save using the Flex would be spent using the PC to apply the finishing touches. Makes me wonder if sticking with the PC might be the bes move and buy some good pads :shrug:

MattZ28

Established Member
The Griot's machines are indeed a bit more powerful than the 7424XPs. And they have a lifetime warranty, which is nice. However, after working for Autogeek for almost 8 years, I can tell you that they need that warranty more than any other machine we sold. Personally, I don't like dealing with spindles exploding and blowing grease all over my car, not to mention the risk of damaging something.

The 3401 is more powerful and will correct in around 40% less time than a 7424XP. I've had mine going strong for about 5 years now with no real issues. In fact, the velcro on the factory backing plate JUST finally gave out when I was detailing a boat. That machine takes more of a beating than any other I've used and never skips a beat. You just can't compare German build quality to China...

Users who are viewing this thread