sensitive question for marauder owners

jazzkiller34

The West is the Best
Established Member
i will need to get a vehicle pretty soon. i have been considering the marauder for several reasons. my current vehicle (a '04 lightning) just died on me and i'm sick of having unreliable vehicles. my question to you guys is this, knowing that any marauder i get will be pre-owned and therefore already making me nervous, would you recommend getting this vehicle? i will be using it as a daily driver and was even considering getting the trilogy s/c. with the prices these vehicles are at, i'm having a hard time finding something else that fits all of my needs (comfort, performance, etc.) that isn't like $10k more. thanks for your help.

STLR FN

My Wiener's Covered
Established Member
Sensitive no, inquisitive yes.

Check out MM.net.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net

Here's a direct link to a quality thread. Remember though quality is subjective. Other than major problems, what one person sees as an annoyance another doesn't.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22863&highlight=quality

Otherwise you're getting a platform that is well proven, The Panther.

There are even a few for sale by some members. Lidio has his for sale for 29K and it's already Trilogy S/C'd

Last edited:

jazzkiller34

The West is the Best
Established Member
i saw that one. i won't be getting the money i need until january, so i hope it's still available by then! thanks for the input on the quality.

STLR FN

My Wiener's Covered
Established Member
Not a problem just tryingto help out a future Marauder owner. Even though there's nothing 'special bout these Marauders :rollseyes
jazzkiller34 said:
i saw that one. i won't be getting the money i need until january, so i hope it's still available by then! thanks for the input on the quality.

SergntMac

Established Member
I've owned two Marauders now, both very early "first run" builds. The first was very reliable, and with modest mods. I honestly cannot recall more than one warranty claim in the 11 months and 10K miles I owned it. Burned up rear axles and beaings covered by a TSB, that helped pay for my 4:10 gear install.

My second Marauder is very heavily modified, and it was severly abused in testing before I bought it. I continue to abuse it, and it takes everything I can throw at it. Marauders are very strong automobiles sharing a long history of Panther vehicles in public service. At times, it's been a PITA with maintenence. But, that's maintenence of the mods, one mod does lead to another. The base car has given me very little to complain about, a short in the wiring harness fixed under warranty, foggy headlamps fixed under a TSB, and a lazy passenger window I decided to live with.

There's a few good MMs listed at out site, by owners who will tell you what has been broken and fixed. Look at it this way, what's better to own, a car with it's shortcomings revealed and repaired, or, a used car "that never gave me any trouble." BTW, when you find something you like, several of our members can run the VIN for the repair history.

Good luck with your search, and when you find your Marauder, drive the bitch like you stole it...

Agent M79

The duck flies at noon
Established Member
I had minor issues but they were made worse by lax service at the dealership. After it took 3 visits on 2 minor items and 2 visits for another, I found a dealer who did things, even the hard stuff, right the first time.

Those minor issues solved, it's a trouble-free ride. I drive mine everyday in all conditions.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
I am a very satisfied Marauder owner. I recommend this car and the Trilogy set up. If you are interested in Lidios car, I suggest you call him and get the details. His car is deep into the 11's and built to handle it.

jazzkiller34

The West is the Best
Established Member
DEFYANT said:
I am a very satisfied Marauder owner. I recommend this car and the Trilogy set up. If you are interested in Lidios car, I suggest you call him and get the details. His car is deep into the 11's and built to handle it.

i'm looking for a daily driver. so i'm not sure a car that can run 11's would be able to put up with the abuse. am i wrong??

STLR FN

My Wiener's Covered
Established Member
I don't see why a car deep into 11's can't be a daily driver unless you plan to drive at WOT all the time.
jazzkiller34 said:
i'm looking for a daily driver. so i'm not sure a car that can run 11's would be able to put up with the abuse. am i wrong??

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
jazzkiller34 said:

I do not see why not. My car is solidly in the 12.0s with my best being 11.98 in the 1/4. And although I do not drive the car everyday, I am confident that I could if I chose too.

There are others out there with Marauders in the low 12's to mid 11's running S/Cers w/o a problem.

;-)

Fourth Horseman

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of Ford's quality on any of its products right now. That being said, if you're comfortable with the quality control on other Ford cars then you shouldn't have any issues with the Marauder. I've had problems with mine, but nothing major. Just lots of little things. Engine and transmission are rock solid.

DJP

Established Member
I have a 1994 police inteceptor Crown Vic that has 180K on it an has been my daily driver in all sorts of decrepid New York weather for the past 7 years. I've dropped about $1,500 in minor repairs on it in that time (Altenator, ball joints, shocks, springs, leaky axil, etc... yada..yada) but nothing major. The 4.6L Panther Platform is as reliable as they come IMO.

I've got 25K on my Marauder now with no problems at all ('Cept that foggy Headlamp that was fixed). But at a $34K listing, I think the cut and finish could have been better.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the reliability and performance of the car, though, and don't think there's a better deal out there for us 2%ters :rolling:

Petrograde

ChampaneTaste, BeerBudget
Established Member
the '03's are notorious for having really crappy paint jobs. I'll have to do a full repaint within the next year or so.

...other than that, I've only had a few minor problems.

jazzkiller34

The West is the Best
Established Member
thanks again for all the input. i guess these things will hold up. now if i could just find one...

Users who are viewing this thread